Samsung/Omnia: Questions & Guide

Discussions on Palm /Windows Mobile PDA & PDA Phone + GPS combo

Moderator: Moderators

thsalbert
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 10x with Omnia
GMXT 5.00.10TW Location Error Corrected for China Navigation.

Samsung/Omnia: Questions & Guide

#1 Post by thsalbert » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:13 am

I bought it on 28 Jun 2008 from M1. It come with Agis GPS software, Singapore and part of Malaysia map. The inbuild GPS Can't be detected with Agis GPS and Beeline GPS..
Send to Samsung service centre to refresh the firmware but with no success.
I can run the GMXT with the Garmin 10x.
Please post your experiece on this phone here.
Thank!
Last edited by bartmp8 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited Title

jchoong
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: 2575 + 40LM

Re: Samsung SGH-i900

#2 Post by jchoong » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:57 am

Thsalbert,

Wah you are fast - already got the Omnia! My friend was showing his unit to me yesterday and it was running Agis. Initially he could not get the built-in GPSr running; subsequently he went into the menu and saw that it was set to run on Com 4, and he selected Auto Detect. After that, he got Agis to run with the in-built GPSr. The Agis map of Spore is very nice looking and full of details. No problem searching for HDB blocks too. Quite impressive actually.

Actually I will soon be getting either a Omnia or a HTC Diamond. Still studying both devices - very impressed with the Omnia but I find it very inconvenient not to be able to park the stylus to the unit. Diamond is small and light, but it does not have a SD slot (back to using the Garmin 10x again!)! Would be nice if you could share with us your experience with the Omnia as a GPS device.

Ender
GPS: Nuvi 610

#3 Post by Ender » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:48 am

I've just got the Garmin MObile XT working with the in-built GPS of the i900. What I did was just to scann attached device, and it autmotmatically detected com3:com3. At 1st, there's no GPS signal on the satellite page. Them I disable the GPS and reenable by scanning the attached again, and walah, can see the satellitle info on the page..

Routing is rather slow on. I'm using ver 40.10.50tw.. On my Asus PDA, using 40.10.40, routing is significantly faster.

thsalbert
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 10x with Omnia
GMXT 5.00.10TW Location Error Corrected for China Navigation.

#4 Post by thsalbert » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:28 pm

My I900 finally worked on agis and GMXT(US version). When I installed the various Taiwan version. The programme refused to work for me. It always prompted me to reinsert the card.
On the US version. I installed the programme on storage card and the maps I stored in my storage. It worked well for me. The inbuilded GPSr not support walking mode, so when I doing geocaching, I will used Garmin 10x through BT.
In the past, I just copy the pim file into the device directory, restart the phone and the all my address book data was in. For I900 it refused to worked for me. I have used BT transfer one by one.
Also to let you know that when the phone is disabled, the attached GPS will not worked that was why initially the gps was not worked for me.
The GPS manager was not worked like the wm5 way. It programme port to com3. Hardware port to com 9, 9600 baud rate where was the GPS hardware address. Generally you can run many GPS programme concurrently when you connected to com 3. But it was not working. Where my Dopod 818pro(wm5) it worked.
Re-installed the GMXT Taiwan version. Only 41050tw worked and 41060 tw prompted me re-insert card.
Garmin camera can detect the GPS on this phone.
Anyone can advice me where to but the licence key from autorised Garmin dealer.
thank!

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#5 Post by dvpro » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi Thsalbert, I wonder how GMXT looks like in i900's 240x400 screen. Can you post some screenshots both in portrait and landscape. :tq:
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Ender

#6 Post by Ender » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:55 am

dvpro wrote:Hi Thsalbert, I wonder how GMXT looks like in i900's 240x400 screen. Can you post some screenshots both in portrait and landscape. :tq:
Attachments
Map-Landscape.JPG
Map-Landscape.JPG (21.87 KiB) Viewed 8425 times
Map-portrait.JPG
Map-portrait.JPG (22.88 KiB) Viewed 8418 times
Menu-Landscape.JPG
The Tools/Setting/Exit buttons are shifted to the side.
Menu-Landscape.JPG (17.11 KiB) Viewed 8410 times
Menu-Portrait.JPG
Menu-Portrait.JPG (15.28 KiB) Viewed 8405 times

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#7 Post by dvpro » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks Ender, so that's how it looks in widescreen. :thumbsup:
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Ender

#8 Post by Ender » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 am

dvpro wrote:Thanks Ender, so that's how it looks in widescreen. :thumbsup:

Notice the widescreen has the time at the top right of the menu screen.

cyrix76
GPS: Garmin XT

#9 Post by cyrix76 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:05 am

Hi Ender...

I need your help in getting Garmin Xt to work for my Samsung SGH-i900 ... I have installed the latest software from here:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downl ... 8&pID=9796
(The version for Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile Ver. 4.20.50w as of Apr 29, 2008)

I downloaded the map and put it under the folder Garmin, when I run the Garmin Mobile XT ... it says no map???

How do you put the map? Where did you get the map from and where do I put it at? Am I using the correct Garmin Software?

Please help me...

Ender

#10 Post by Ender » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:32 am

cyrix76 wrote:Hi Ender...

I need your help in getting Garmin Xt to work for my Samsung SGH-i900 ... I have installed the latest software from here:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downl ... 8&pID=9796
(The version for Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile Ver. 4.20.50w as of Apr 29, 2008)

I downloaded the map and put it under the folder Garmin, when I run the Garmin Mobile XT ... it says no map???

How do you put the map? Where did you get the map from and where do I put it at? Am I using the correct Garmin Software?

Please help me...
Assuming you have already put in malsing map correctly with the proper unlock code.

When you start your garmin for the very 1st time (i.e no last location yet), and you haven't got a satellit lock yet, you car will be be place some where out of the singapore. Most likely the USA where the garmin office is, where you are actually viewing the base map without any roads. So it looks like blank.

Either you wait for the satellite lock, and your car will be place right at your current location which will have the roads, etc on the map. Or you zoom out until you see the outline of the base map of the world, and scroll to Singapore..

I notice sometime peculiar about my garmin. For the 1st time I run my GMXT, even thought my com3 is set and GPSR is detected, no satellite signal will be detected. I have to diasable the GPS and enable again.

Other thing, if it says no map, then likely you didn't copied to the right directory or the filename is wrong.

copy the gmapsupp.img to your installed garmin directory. For my case, I installed into the phone internal 16gb memory, so my diectory is mystorage\garmin