Discussions on Palm /Windows Mobile PDA & PDA Phone + GPS combo

Moderator: Moderators

Rosman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
GPS: Nüvi 710, Nüvi 200W, GMPC on Q1U with 10x, GMXT on N6110, Omnia and Innov8

Re: Samsung SGH-i900 Omnia

#41 Post by Rosman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:20 am

Yes, it gets rather hot in a very short time.

Battery will be drain super fast too. Wouldn't last more than 2 hours. :thumbsdown:
Save the Earth. We have nowhere else to go!

sunn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: HP6515, HP4150+GSpace BT Gpsr, Etrex Legend Hcx, Omnia SGH-i900

#42 Post by sunn » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:33 am

The battery is not an issue as I will getting the Car charger FOC.

Wonder whether the Heat would fried the board. Maybe thats why Samsung gives 18 months warranty.
- sunn -

thsalbert
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 10x with Omnia
GMXT 5.00.10TW Location Error Corrected for China Navigation.

#43 Post by thsalbert » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:19 pm

Rosman wrote:Yes, it gets rather hot in a very short time.

Battery will be drain super fast too. Wouldn't last more than 2 hours. :thumbsdown:
I tested with GMXT, 3G on, BT and wifi off, brightness set to auto mode, It can easily last me atleast 4 hours. It was warn definetely. Excellence device I should said. My Dopod 818pro with brightness 60% with external BT GPSr it can only last me 5 hours.
It served me good for the past one month but it was warded in Samsung Hospital after I done the firmware ungrade which cause the motherboard dead.
Advice is not to done the firmware ungrade by yourself. Samsung service Centre take 3 hours for ungrade. Done by your self maybe 20minutes if everything smoothly else like my case was more then 3 day.
For those people used Omnia to surf the web like me. Here is a better browser ucweb which was better than opera 9.5. Download from here: http://www.ucweb.com/dl/dl_platform/pub ... ileid=3731. Unfortunate than mean time only have chinese version.

Rosman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

#44 Post by Rosman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:13 pm

thsalbert wrote:I tested with GMXT, 3G on, BT and wifi off, brightness set to auto mode, It can easily last me atleast 4 hours. It was warn definetely. Excellence device I should said. My Dopod 818pro with brightness 60% with external BT GPSr it can only last me 5 hours.
It served me good for the past one month but it was warded in Samsung Hospital after I done the firmware ungrade which cause the motherboard dead.
Advice is not to done the firmware ungrade by yourself. Samsung service Centre take 3 hours for ungrade. Done by your self maybe 20minutes if everything smoothly else like my case was more then 3 day.
For those people used Omnia to surf the web like me. Here is a better browser ucweb which was better than opera 9.5. Download from here: http://www.ucweb.com/dl/dl_platform/pub ... ileid=3731. Unfortunate than mean time only have chinese version.
I had everything turned on :mrgreen: . Only lasted for 2 hours or so.
Of course, the device is excellence, still Love it. Only thing now, is to get a car-charger.

I, too, would not ungrade the firmware anytime soon. Heard there are so many Omnias already dead trying to do so.

So, maybe tonight will have many Omnias :evil: roaming the streets? Lunar 7th month 15th?

nik
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: nRoute on eeePC, GMXT & GPSProxy on 838pro

#45 Post by nik » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:54 am

thsalbert wrote: It served me good for the past one month but it was warded in Samsung Hospital after I done the firmware ungrade which cause the motherboard dead.
This really worries me :hair: has anyone succeed in upgrading the firmware? and kindly share ur experience and tips..
NDCDB

Rosman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

#46 Post by Rosman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 pm

nik wrote:This really worries me :hair: has anyone succeed in upgrading the firmware? and kindly share ur experience and tips..
Some did, most didn't. :mrgreen: If you insist to do the upgrade, make sure your unit is still within the 7 days warranty, so if anything happens, you can have a 1 to 1 exchange.

For me, I will not do the upgrade myself. I will bring it to Samsung and let them do the upgrade for me, so if anything went wrong, I can blame it on them. :evil:

ajay
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: PAPAGO M9; nuvi 205W

#47 Post by ajay » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:50 pm

can we use standard usb charger on this phone?
ask not (just) what malsingmaps can do for you
ask what you can do for malsingmaps (also)

calvincn
GPS: Garmin Nuvi

Garmin Que and GPS proxy on Omnia ?

#48 Post by calvincn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi guys having trouble connecting to the GPS proxy and Garmin que, anyone know what the proper settings should be ? Any help would be much appreciated !

thsalbert
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 10x with Omnia
GMXT 5.00.10TW Location Error Corrected for China Navigation.

Re: Garmin Que and GPS proxy on Omnia ?

#49 Post by thsalbert » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:36 pm

I am not using gpspoxy and Garmin Que. In order to configured Omnia's GPS to work:

1) You must on the phone else the GPS will not worked.

2) External GPS setting;
setting > system > External GPS.
2.1) Programme > Programme port: any free com port you can used it here; com2, com3, com7 etc
2.2) Hardware > GPS hardware port: com9, 4800 or 9600
2.3) Access . Ticked the checked box Manage GPS automatically.

It will form a handshacking mechanism to on the GPS when any GPS application connected to programme port. and it will off the GPS when you quit the application to save battery.

To speedup for the first fix. Setting > system > enhance GPS setting >Enable the XTRA. Then exit to run you GPS applcation.

I was using GMXT and selected the intermediate driver. If I used com7 then the GPSgate will not worked.
My setup:
Programme port: Com7
Hardware port: com9, 9600
ticked the checked box on access.

External GPS setting: I enable the XTRA all the time.

Onec I run GMXT, it automatically access to GPRS to get the location data.
I get the fix very fast, generally within 30s.
Where to, Selected my destination and Go.
Hope you can get some reference here.

hypergenus
GPS: Asus P735/SiRF Star III

#50 Post by hypergenus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:14 pm

the GMXT software is working fine on my i900 but the signal isnt appearing. can someone please provide me with some solutions?