Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Garmin GPS 10X
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:11 pm 

GPS: P1i + GPS 10x
X51v WM6.1 Football A08
D-100E + GVN 52
which nokia batt model compatible for gps10x?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:06 pm 

GPS: Garmin GPS10 + HP2790
There are 2 models; BL-6C (1070 mAh), this one is a bit fatter than the original, otherwise it fit OK, the other one is BL-5C (850mAh).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:54 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: Omnia HD + GMXT with 10x / Agis NavFone /Nuvi 765 /nRoute with 10X / Di~GPS on D700!
BL-5C :-({|=

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:15 pm 

GPS: P1i + GPS 10x
X51v WM6.1 Football A08
D-100E + GVN 52
thank you thank you..gadget man :nehneh: :nehneh:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:23 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: Omnia HD + GMXT with 10x / Agis NavFone /Nuvi 765 /nRoute with 10X / Di~GPS on D700!
damn66 wrote:
thank you thank you..gadget man :nehneh: :nehneh:

Mazda mod disturb me.....alamak!! =P~

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:53 am 

GPS: Garmin 2455LMT (6.66 map), HTC TyTN, Dopod 818Pro, Garmin Mobile 10X, MoblieXT 4.20.50, MSM 5.31
I hope that gives you a new appreciation for 10X. Consider that NUVI has a non-replaceable battery that causes you to throw away the unit when the battery dies. And here, we get to buy a cheap battery available in 9000 countries. Why Garmin didnt make the NUVI the same way is beyond me!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:50 am 
Veteran
Veteran

cvco wrote:
I hope that gives you a new appreciation for 10X. Consider that NUVI has a non-replaceable battery that causes you to throw away the unit when the battery dies. And here, we get to buy a cheap battery available in 9000 countries. Why Garmin didnt make the NUVI the same way is beyond me!

SLS got the replacement batt for Nuvi...... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:10 pm 

GPS: Garmin Mobile 10x
Palm TX
Garmin Mobile XT software
I bought the Garmin 10x about a month ago to be paired with the Palm TX. The following is a brief report on the usage experience of over a month, which may be of interest to other Palm TX users intending to purchare the Garmin 10x. From the word 'go' there were problems with the mobile XT software (Nov 14 '07 software release - Ver. 4.10.30p). Not insurmountable, but one needs to figure out how to work around them. The following issues faced over the month and resolutions are shared:

A. Purchase price (Nov 07)
Paid SGD230 (Perfect Watch, Sim lim Sq, Spore). I note that the GPS 10 is still being sold in Sim Lim Tower - I was quoted SGD180. The prices are consistent with the latest price updates on the Malsingmaps wiki.

B. Software
B1. Que vs. Mobile XT.
Having read numerous threads concerning stability issues with the XT on Palm, I resolved to install Que. I can confirm that Que does not work with the 10x on the palm TX. For better or worse, on palm, 10x users will have to stick to Mobile XT (truth to tell, I was somewhat dissapointed).

B2. Comments on Mobile XT (Nov 14 '07 software release - Ver. 4.10.30p)
link to software download: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downl ... -00579-00&

B2a. Installation
Both XT and the XT support files have to be installed - link above (Without the support files, no voice guidance). The installation files are essentially copied to the SD card, and the Install file is run from the card.

The Install file was not able to complete the install process. It apparently did, but suffice to say the application could not run - I cant recall the error message.

I backed up the data on my Palm, did a hard reset, and reinstalled back the data backed up. This resolved the install problem. For the life of me I cant figure out why this should occur - perhaps the hard reset resulted in a defragmentation of dynamic memory on the TX.

B2b. Usage
Mobile XT consumes a huge amount of dynamic memory. To resolve this, I have read it documented in other forums that mobile XT occasionally does a dbcache flush when you exit. Based on my experience though this seems not be the case. You can monitor this yourself by installing the dbcachetool DA (http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/~imazeki/palm/DBcT/) When dbcache falls below a certain minimum level, instead of flushing dbcache, Mobile XT will not run at all (insufficient memory error). The only solution to this is to flush DBchache on your own - eg., via a soft reset or via apps that flush dbcache. My own setup is to have Offflush DA installed (freeware, available here: http://1src.com/freeware/index.php?cid=6) and to have a mcphling shortcut link to the same. Essentially mobile XT uses 7+mb of dbcache. If you've been running mobile XT and wish to free this up, you cant leave mobile XT running in the background, instead, you have to exit XT before flushing DBcache.

Initially, occasional soft resets occurred on their own accord when entering XT. This issue seemed to have resolved itself about two weeks ago. It may have been a software incompatibility with another application I later uninstalled.

In the past, the type of apps that I used never required active management of DBcache, but with Mobile XT, you would have to have some basic knowledge about third party apps which assist the palms stability by active management of dbcache. One popular app on the palm TX is Uncache (http://www.palmpowerups.com/readarticle ... ticle_id=6). This application essentially manipulates what applications get Launch code 5 (Launch Code 5 is a launch code that is sent to all applications on a soft reset). Manipulating this speeds up startup time and increases the amount of dbcache you have on startup.

The bottom line is that you don't need to mess with dbcache for the latest version of Mobile XT (version release - 14 Nov) to work, but if you are finnicky about the stability of your device (ie we all want things to work as we expect them to) then its something you'd have to do some reading up on.

On palm, stability wise, Mobile XT is not as bad as most critics have would make it out to be. I recall there were grave concerns with earlier versions. Note that I am commenting on version release of 14 Nov. I've had a fairly good experience over the past month. It's just been a question of understanding DBcache issues and learning workarounds. I can't compare the XT with Que because Que does not work on the 10x, at least on the Palm TX, but overall, the experience with XT has not been bad.

Last edited by tienwei on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:33 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android
Hi Tienwei. Good writeup. Certainly useful for prospective GPS10X with Mobile XT for Palm users. I think merits including as article in our wiki linked from http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php/Garmin_XT_current_versions. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:36 pm 

GPS: nüvi 205W
Tienwei,

Have you managed to export any tracks from your TX yet? I'm still struggling at it.