Discussions on Palm /Windows Mobile PDA & PDA Phone + GPS combo

Moderator: Moderators

jchoong
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: 2575 + 40LM

Re: What is the best PDA phone to run GARMIN XT

#271 Post by jchoong » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:09 pm

As Diamond does not have a SD card slot, the correct way to run GMXT on it is to pair it with an external GPSr, eg Garmin 10X.

smile_gerard
GPS: HTC Diamond

#272 Post by smile_gerard » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:54 pm

ajay wrote:asus p750
samsung omnia
htc touch diamond (not can run gmxt coz no sd card slot)

gmxt works just fine on my diamond. It can be installed

fluffygal87
GPS: none

PDA or phones for garmin XT or any advise?

#273 Post by fluffygal87 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:15 pm

Dear Bros,

I am a SQ cabin crew and frequently travel around to new places. My handphone contract just ended and I hope to get a new hp that can support GPS navigation. By word of mouth, some1 has advise me to read this fourm and I have read to the best of my ability, however, there are a lot of technical stuff here and I am not really good in technical stuff.
Have seen a lot of people commenting abt touch diamond on this website that suits GPS nav, think might be getting that. Actually, I need a phone that could

1. support GPS navi ( by foot mostly) while i am OVERSEAS, so that i wont get lost
2. Hopefully i can get free shareware overseas maps, if not, hopefully overseas maps are not pricey, if not i have to pay for a lot of overseas maps that i only go occasionally!
3. read abt garmin XT and seem to be the IN thing now. however, some1 has commented it require garmin 10x receiver, however, I went to garmin website and it says it can use internal gps on the phone. Question is, who is correct? Hope to use Garmin XT, thus a phone with SD slot.
4. 3 G cos Japan and korean uses 3G

What i dont need it
1. good camera
2. qwerty keypad

Thus, I hope if some bros could enlighten me what phone to get for a start, before i go into much in depth abt the installation part (will try to interpret to the best of my ability, but truely it is complicated. hahah).

with warmest regards
Fluffy :tq:

thsalbert
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 10x with Omnia
GMXT 5.00.10TW Location Error Corrected for China Navigation.

Re: PDA or phones for garmin XT or any advise?

#274 Post by thsalbert » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:09 pm

A phone nearly suit your need was Samsung Omnia.It have 16 GB of fresh drive and Can be extended to 8GB on MSD. From entertainment to GPS navigation. 5 Mpix camera with geotap capability the pictures you have taken. Google for Garmin Mobile XT you should able to get maps where you need.

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#275 Post by bartmp8 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:31 pm

fluffygal87 wrote:Dear Bros,

--- Snip ---

2. Hopefully i can get free shareware overseas maps, if not, hopefully overseas maps are not pricey, if not i have to pay for a lot of overseas maps that i only go occasionally!

You can get free maps from mapcentre but not all are routable.
Original Maps are generally very expensive and not worth it unless you make frequent trips.
Paper maps make more sense if you are only visiting once in a while.

3. read abt garmin XT and seem to be the IN thing now. however, some1 has commented it require garmin 10x receiver, however, I went to garmin website and it says it can use internal gps on the phone. Question is, who is correct? Hope to use Garmin XT, thus a phone with SD slot.

You can use the built-in GPSr but you'll need to buy the Original GMXT in SD format

4. 3 G cos Japan and korean uses 3G

Are Japan/Korean networks compatible to GSM?
My input above in Blue.

fluffygal87
GPS: none

#276 Post by fluffygal87 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks thsalbert and bartmp8 for your prompt reply!
Appreciated for much. I would heed thsalbert and purchase the omnia soon, prob by next week and then buy garmin XT cos i would like to use the internal GPS instand of getting additional GPSr from garmin.

Dear bartmp8, I dont think japan and korea uses gsm. Tried it b4 with my previous non 3g phone but cant make any calls. And could i enquire where can i purchase Garmin Xt? i went to search garmin website and i think only ST Electronics "AMK Store
24 Ang Mo Kio Street 65" sells it. Other singapore shops are at weird places like loyang or textile centre and they it states that it sells only avaition garmin products. And bro, correct me if i am wrong. i did some google on garmin xt software and there are websites with free download for garmin xt. I think those work only for pda with purchased BT garmin reciever right.

And with the festive season coming, I wish everyone a pre merry xmas day with loads of shopping to do, esp the girls out there! :rock:

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#277 Post by bartmp8 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Dear fluffygal87,

Try to browse our Vendors' Corner. Vendors advertising are also Members here. While you are shopping
for your GMXT in SD card, try to find out about the prices of Original maps as well. See what you are
in for.

There is another alternative: GPS Proxy on PDA
I have never used it and I believe this is not very popular anymore. Maybe you have a look
before going out and spend your hard-earned cash. Maybe some of the PDA experts can shed more
light.

jchoong
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: 2575 + 40LM

#278 Post by jchoong » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:54 pm

I run GMXT on the HTC Diamond, but because it does not have a SD card slot, I need to pair it with an external Garmin GPSr, viz. 10x. Alternatives (with SD card slot) are the HTC Touch Pro or the latest HTC Touch HD with a 3.8" beautiful screen (just launched by Star Hub). If you like Nokia, take a look at the N85.

thsalbert
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 10x with Omnia
GMXT 5.00.10TW Location Error Corrected for China Navigation.

#279 Post by thsalbert » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:21 pm

GPSProxy on PDA to run Garmin Que 2.9? Many people used GPSpoxy. I don't think GPSproxy is good for GMXT. It only good for Que. I had tested it two year ago with Que, hard to configure and had problem to me also. gave out. Pre-order Garmin Mobile 10(S$300 including shipping) from http://www.semsons.com I enjoy it very much. some brother here bought G10x(S$280) from local without USA map, which was over price.
I should said that when ever you used Garmin software, you must used Garmin hardware with either Garmin GPSr or or MSD from Garmin.
Garmin mobile XT release in order to stopped people to used their software for free and the better GUI to gain the market share. Garmin still the best becauser they have many maps including 3rd party map on support to their customers.

piju
GPS: Garmin XT ver 4 and 5 on HP ipaq 612c

#280 Post by piju » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:45 am

i run Garmin XT ver 4 on HP ipaq 612c Windows Mobile 6.1 with no problems at all
73 DE 9M2PJU