Mapking R12 - General Discussion

Discussions on Palm /Windows Mobile PDA & PDA Phone + GPS combo

Moderator: Moderators

keriso
GPS: GP10 with WM6

Mapking R12 - General Discussion

#1 Post by keriso » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:55 pm

I just got my Ttyn II and of course with it, was the package bundle for Mapking R12. Now, this was new to me as i was familar with the previous Mapking 2007 which i did a mini review on it against the new Garmin Mobile XT in the old forum.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/oldforum/mod ... ght=#67151

however, since then this new Mapking R12 has some major improvements to the layout and interface which i will do a mini review here for those who want to know what's the difference between this Mapking and the other versions :

The opening screen of the GPS mode is the same as previous Mapking version ie cluttered and all over the whole place as you can see here...

however you can notice the round circle button with the word page at the bottom right..click on it using your finger (more on this later) will produce these two screens which you can rotate it...(that's the meaning of the round arrows - ie for rotation)

ImageImage

now the key difference begins here. In the past review, i make mention of how Garmin Mobile XT was user friendly to those who do not want to use a stylus to key in the road details, POI, location etc etc and how easy Garmin Mobile XT was to use compared to Mapking. Well this problem was addressed here in this R12 version. Click on the map itself will produce this new interface :

Pressing on destination will produces these different interfaces below :

ImageImageImageImageImage

the great improvement then is the input interface which is finger friendly. This new interface brings up Mapking to the gap that existed with Garmin Mobile XT. With this, you can now do a quick search using your finger while the PDA is mounted on the dashboard or windscreen and not need to use a stylus. This same input is also present for your POI details. This is definitely a move in the right direction.

The other screen captures are self explanatory , which you can view here. Generally, it is much better than the previous Mapking (2007 and G10 by large leaps). It is easier to use and very intuitive. There is a "photo" icon which i am not sure what it will do actually.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

To summarize :

Pro :

1. great improvement on the user interface making it great and easy to use while driving without the need to resort to any stylus usage at all
2. the new interface for the settings and such are well done and a much needed improvement from the previous and current mapkings
3. the rotation screen allows three different views which is similar to Garmin Mobile XT - good move

Cons :

1. the map interface for navigation is still cluttered in the old Mapking way. It is simply too cluttered to be really good. The Garmin Mobile XT navigation interface allows you to view your road you are on, your speed and such information easily and clearly in one glance. This R12 which has the old view has everything all over and you have to look hard to find the information. Not good here.
2. no ability to remove POI and other such details on the map - to make it minimalist.
3. not able to use the malsingmaps for this version - a real bummer. Mapking has to really get their act together and work something out which make sense for them to be the defacto GPS mapping software in South East Asia. As i see it now, with Garmin trying to force the market to bend to them (if you want to use Garmin Mobile XT, you must buy our devices our way or you can go take the highway), the market is for Mapking to take really.

The market reason is simple - as you can see now, there are a huge infusion of non Garmin GPS devices coming into the market here. All of them will not be using Garmin Mobile XT software, so they have to resort to someone's else. And then you have Mapking who is somewhere there but not really there yet with this kind of mix signals they are giving to the market.

Garmin marketing move of having the market based on combined software and hardware push is not going to succeed especially when there are now so many non Garmin GPS devices flooding in. More and more people will use these devices whether it be PDA phone, smart phone, dedicated non Garmin unit, stereo combined with display unit etc - and it all depends on the smart company who can combined with malsingmaps to have a good map supply with their all platforms software. Then, they have a clear winner.

disclaimer : i don't work for the two companies but personally i still prefer the Garmin Mobile XT for its well designed interface and useability. However i also have a new PDA phone which has a built in GPS unit which makes my GPS10 redundant now - so this is a real bummer! The Mapking R12 is a good replacement except for the cluttered navigation interface and not being to use the malsingmap... and their current map is outdated and wrong - which is a tripple bummer!!

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
GPS: SIRFstar III

Re: Review on Mapking R12 software

#2 Post by wsian » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:42 pm

keriso wrote: 3. not able to use the malsingmaps for this version ...
Are you sure? very very sure? :mrgreen:

keriso

#3 Post by keriso » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:06 pm

wah, you are one of the sifu here, so you say how lah....

:mrgreen:

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
GPS: SIRFstar III

#4 Post by wsian » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:12 pm

Obviously you missed out something. Go do treasure hunt in the forum.

keriso

#5 Post by keriso » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:24 pm

ahem, i stand to be corrected - there are some malsingmap in R12 version or G12 flying around somewhere in the cyberworld. I don't do illegal things one here ... :lol:

but my main point still stand - mapking is doing themselves a disservice here ...while i can understand the money motivation factor, but still, a disservice.

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#6 Post by dvpro » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:35 pm

keriso wrote:...
there are some malsingmap in R12 version or G12 flying around somewhere in the cyberworld.
:-' For the sake of R12 users, let me point to the right direction:

[Mapking] Malsing-Maps for Mapking R12 by wsian.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

keriso

#7 Post by keriso » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:39 pm

gosh my apologies, didn't find the wsian special maps for R12...my apologies...hehehehehe..

okie, so there are maps now...tripple bummer removed...

v-v
GPS: HTC TyTN_II + MapKing R12 + Malsing Singapore + Garmin MXT microSD

#8 Post by v-v » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:17 pm

dvpro wrote:
keriso wrote:...
there are some malsingmap in R12 version or G12 flying around somewhere in the cyberworld.
:-' For the sake of R12 users, let me point to the right direction:

[Mapking] Malsing-Maps for Mapking R12 by wsian.

I have registered the MapkingR12_Singapore map, and can use the R12 Malsing_Singapore version. However, to use the R12 Malsing_WM it requires registration again.

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#9 Post by dvpro » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:40 pm

I believe it requires original Mapking map licence of the same region.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

oriki
GPS: HTC TyTn II

Mapking R12 changing my tytn II clock settings

#10 Post by oriki » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi all...

I tend to set my watches, clocks, tytn timings to around 10 mins earlier than usual.
However when using mapking R12, my tytn II clock settings would be changed to the "correct" time.

Is there anyway to rectify this?

Kinda screw up my alarm timing :-k