How Fast Your GPS Updating

Discussions on Palm /Windows Mobile PDA & PDA Phone + GPS combo

Moderator: Moderators

Prometheus
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPS 10x + iPAQ hx2750 (Holux GPslim236 backup)

Re: How Fast Your GPS Updating

#11 Post by Prometheus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:11 pm

OK just reached Ipoh.. GPS showing speed about 10kmh liddat less than the speedo.. I guess its right, Stock sppedo is the one thats not that accurate.. still analog speed.. but i realize at higher speeds the GPS and the car speedo accurate. Tried at 205kmh, speedo and GPS show same speed..
Please view my featured blog at Cnet Asia: http://asia.cnet.com/member/Prometheus/blog/

khanuar23
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: No GPS

#12 Post by khanuar23 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:42 pm

Prometheus wrote:Tried at 205kmh, speedo and GPS show same speed..

Wow!!...so fast aaa.....what car u drive.... [-X but be carefull becos now is bus accident season... :zzz: :ko:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keroll23/

sotongkia
Community POI leader
Community POI leader
GPS: Nuvi 310 (OZ)

#13 Post by sotongkia » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:57 pm

pelurusilver wrote:
:-k mm... the logic is there. but why arr like that? gpsr should updated by satelite rite then push it to the pda/mobile.
seems like the satelite "overlooked" where the btgpsr meh.. :ko:

coz of that I missed 2 turn so far using this GPS. just driving 100kph in the highway. :fire:

The GPS updates is always given.. it is how the program treats it. One or 2 spurious data may wreak havoc if the software doesn't know how to manage the stream of data coming in.

What if your satellite data got one error.. then it recalculate for no apparent reason because a tree block a bit and it detect that you are on the foot path instead of the road..

So of course the unit needs to be error tolerant..

Plus your CPU need to redraw the maps, especially when it is 3D. And need to check for POI to see if need to alert you to speedtrap.. Need to constantly check that you are on the route that is given.. And need to constantly check if the distance is near the next turn to give you audio warning..

100km/h on highway can miss 2 exits ?

Or you driving 100km/h in residential road ?
---------------
Blur Blur Sotong

chrisean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: GPSlim240
HTC P3452
MapkingG10
GMXT
GPSProxy

#14 Post by chrisean » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:22 pm

[quote ...Tried at 205kmh, speedo and GPS show same speed..[/quote] :thumbsup:

Bro,

slow slow lah.. Drive until speed 205kmh must take care the safety first, :shock: not a gps...
[-X [-X

civic98
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 1350
Nuvi 55LM

#15 Post by civic98 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:50 pm

As always my setting's Que (PDA) shows slower speed than my car's speedometer. But last night I tried with my notebook, just a GPS reading software that shows speed and location, the speed is almost same as car's speedometer.

Somehow Que is slower, maybe because of GPSProxy since I am not using Garmin GPSR.

pelurusilver
Regular
Regular
GPS: Dopod 838 Pro/N73
I iBlue 737/10x
GMXT/Mapking

#16 Post by pelurusilver » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:02 am

sotongkia wrote:
pelurusilver wrote:
:-k mm... the logic is there. but why arr like that? gpsr should updated by satelite rite then push it to the pda/mobile.
seems like the satelite "overlooked" where the btgpsr meh.. :ko:

coz of that I missed 2 turn so far using this GPS. just driving 100kph in the highway. :fire:

The GPS updates is always given.. it is how the program treats it. One or 2 spurious data may wreak havoc if the software doesn't know how to manage the stream of data coming in.

What if your satellite data got one error.. then it recalculate for no apparent reason because a tree block a bit and it detect that you are on the foot path instead of the road..

So of course the unit needs to be error tolerant..

Plus your CPU need to redraw the maps, especially when it is 3D. And need to check for POI to see if need to alert you to speedtrap.. Need to constantly check that you are on the route that is given.. And need to constantly check if the distance is near the next turn to give you audio warning..

1stly i never been used that h/way before. further more when u reach the intersection like this with 100kph speed and u r 100% rely on the gps.
like i said, becoz of the late update, i missed it. #-o
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

alanchia67
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Vista Cx
S'pore-R 3.97
Malsing NT5.27

#17 Post by alanchia67 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:31 am

The speedo of my car matches the speed reported in my Vista Cx.

civic98
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 1350
Nuvi 55LM

#18 Post by civic98 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:37 pm

pelurusilver wrote:
sotongkia wrote:
pelurusilver wrote:The GPS updates is always given.. it is how the program treats it. One or 2 spurious data may wreak havoc if the software doesn't know how to manage the stream of data coming in.

1stly i never been used that h/way before. further more when u reach the intersection like this with 100kph speed and u r 100% rely on the gps.
like i said, becoz of the late update, i missed it. #-o

1. When routing, should always set "Show Location" to "On Roads".
2. GPS is meant to assist navigation, not to drive your car for you. If someone knows that a turn is coming and still maintain driving speed at 100kph, then it's a user problem, not the GPS system, or GPSr or PDA or whatever. If anyone expects relies on GPS 100%, he/she is better off getting a cab.
3. Dont blame on the late update, instead zoom out a little more to see further and expect your turn coming, slow down. This is basic driving skill.

pelurusilver
Regular
Regular
GPS: Dopod 838 Pro/N73
I iBlue 737/10x
GMXT/Mapking

#19 Post by pelurusilver » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:08 am

[quote=

1. When routing, should always set "Show Location" to "On Roads".
2. GPS is meant to assist navigation, not to drive your car for you. If someone knows that a turn is coming and still maintain driving speed at 100kph, then it's a user problem, not the GPS system, or GPSr or PDA or whatever. If anyone expects relies on GPS 100%, he/she is better off getting a cab.
3. Dont blame on the late update, instead zoom out a little more to see further and expect your turn coming, slow down. This is basic driving skill.[/quote]

yeah.. u r rite =D>

lelong..!! lelong..!! Evo 6 for RM20k. =P~ :$gone: =P~ :$gone: =P~

err.. by the way, how to zoom out/in in mapking without it automatically zoom back to normal. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

johnliew
GPS: nüvi 200, finally!

#20 Post by johnliew » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:03 am

Silverbullet: Actually I know that stretch of road, coming from Putrajaya Link right? I don't think is your GPS problem, it's the map. I have been driving to Cyberjaya for the past week and my Nuvi200 always fails on that "Ring of Death"... So, for that part of the road, I strongly recommend watching out for the sign.