Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Palm Treo 650
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:42 am 

GPS: Garmin Mobile 10x + HP HX4700
Hi,

A new version of Garmin Mobile XT for Palm OS Version 4.10.10 was release on the September 19th 2007. Been reading that this version is stable and workable. Check out this link http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=247675.

It will run on a Treo 650 without any application installed which is no good for me so I proceed to custom my Treo ROM and take out Real Player, VersaMail, Others language, World Clock, Tips. I am able to move my core application to the ROM like Agendus, Takephone, Megaclock, Zlauncher and a few small ones. So far I have been pretty successful in getting it to run stable. Still need to find ways to clear more memory :nutz:

Below are some of the screen shot. I tried a short trip and it seems to be OK. So there is still life in my Treo 650 Palm OS smartphone.

jackdon.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:53 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Treo650+MobileXT+GPS10; VistaC; 60CSx-7units
thanks for the heads up. will check it out today. nice screengrab btw. you should do a write up at the wiki.

what software did you use to capture the images?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:39 am 

Hi,

For the screen capture I am using Screenshot5 and it is such a wonderful program. The linke is there http://linkesoft.com/screenshot/manual.html

I am not to much of a writer but will try to see what I can do in Wiki on this.

cheers.
jackdon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:49 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:57 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Garmin 10x with Omnia
GMXT 5.00.10TW Location Error Corrected for China Navigation.
Thank jackdon for the good write out and your link on screenshoot.
BTW WAAS and EGNOS was not applicable here. It can only used in USA and Europe.
Give thank to Garmin which made Palm Treo alive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:48 am 

thsalbert wrote:
Thank jackdon for the good write out and your link on screenshoot.
BTW WAAS and EGNOS was not applicable here. It can only used in USA and Europe.
Give thank to Garmin which made Palm Treo alive.

Thsalbert,

Thanks for the tip, yup screenshot is just great and ideal for us to capture routing error. Screenshot assign to the powerbutton and during routing when I come across any error I just hold the power buttor for 3 sec and it capture the current screen. I can do that again without reactivating screenshot5 again. Unfortunately it can only write to the RAM and everyscreen is about 200k - 300k. So I can only manage 4 to 5 each time and just export it to jpg in the sd card and it brings it down to 30 - 40k per screen.

Yup the Treo 650 is almost there for Garmin Mobile XT for Palm OS, still trying to squezze another 1MB out of my setup. The operation is pretty smooth once you get it working. Here is how I tested the GMXT during one of my trips.

Fire up Garmin Mobile XT for Palm OS
Connect to the GPS Unit in about 20 - 90 seconds depending if there is a 3D lock
First redraw of the current location takes slightly longer.
Keyin where to got on the keypad (fairly easy with one hand)
press GO and VOICE prompt is loud and clear (I am using VolumeCare)
Calls comes in, pick up the call (bluetooth car kit not active because GPS is using bluetooth)
Screen switch over ot the phone, finish call. Launch GMXT for Palm OS again.
GMXT launchers in a flash and reconnects to the GPS fairly quickly and continue the routing.
Need an info from the calander, just press the calender button it switchs over to the calender
then when finish relaunch GMXT again and it reconnects to the GPS and continue the routing.

Pretty smooth isn't it. I am happy but you will need about 11mb-14mb of free RAM and so far I am about 10.5mb now with my current apps. Now what do I take out is the question.

Now a tip is always "EXIT" GMXT for Palm OS instead of the Home button to other application. That way GMXT will exit without any issue else you might have voices prompting everytime you powerup your Treo :shock:

jackdon.1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:29 am 

GPS: Garmin Mobile 10x
jackdon wrote:
Hi,

A new version of Garmin Mobile XT for Palm OS Version 4.10.10 was release on the September 19th 2007. Been reading that this version is stable and workable. Check out this link http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=247675.

It will run on a Treo 650 without any application installed which is no good for me so I proceed to custom my Treo ROM and take out Real Player, VersaMail, Others language, World Clock, Tips. I am able to move my core application to the ROM like Agendus, Takephone, Megaclock, Zlauncher and a few small ones. So far I have been pretty successful in getting it to run stable. Still need to find ways to clear more memory :nutz:

Below are some of the screen shot. I tried a short trip and it seems to be OK. So there is still life in my Treo 650 Palm OS smartphone.

jackdon.

Hi Jackdon,

Was wondering if you have the steps to guide me to do the move to ROM? I have a Treo 650 too and have the same problem with memory. Was thinking of moving some stuff from ram to rom after clearing out some of the unnecessary stuff.

Hope you can help a noob like me to do a custom rom. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:45 am 

gcck wrote:

Hi Jackdon,

Was wondering if you have the steps to guide me to do the move to ROM? I have a Treo 650 too and have the same problem with memory. Was thinking of moving some stuff from ram to rom after clearing out some of the unnecessary stuff.

Hope you can help a noob like me to do a custom rom. :)

gcck,

Check out this link http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=108580
You can download ROMTool from http://grack.com/programming/misc/TreoROMTool.html

It looks scarry the first time but it is actually pretty safe using this method. I must have reflash my ROM more than 20 times.

PM me if you still have any issue.

jackdon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:18 am 

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ I finally did it \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

My latest Custom ROM couple with some tweaking has made my Treo 650 ROCK solid. No more reset :thumbsup: , I can run GMXT, receive calls, capture screen while routing. It just just great to use and now my issue is the battery life :ko: , so now I have to carry a spare battery. Been running and all sorts of application exit, launch and calls and it stable the whole day. Also with PXA270 lite overclocker operation is just snappy and quick, sure beats :finga: my HX4700 WinMobile 5.

A bit of advise for those that plan to Custom their Treo 650 ROM. The actual trick is to make the ROM as small as possible which would give the Treo 650 a bigger DBCache which is critical for GMXT for Palm OS operation. Previously I had been deleting unused application and filling it up with application that I wanted so I was back to square one.

Before running GMXT my Free DBCache was 10.1MB and after running and quiting GMXT the free DBCache drops to 1.5MB. To overcome this issue I set Flush It to flush the DBCAche when I press the power button. That seems to bring back and I have no issue running othe applications.

My launcher screen and screen capture of routing and turn preview this evening on the way back.

Image Image Image

I remove the following from the Treo Original 1.20ENA ROM

Other language removed
Blazer (Palm browser) removed (I do not surf, cost too high)
Real Player removed (I use Pocket Tune)
Remove Tips
Remove Tutorial
Remove World Clock (I prefer to use Megaclock)
Remove VersaMail (I user snapper mail)
Added Agendus Pro V11 .prc
Added RingoPro .prc
Added Megaclock .prc
Added 2Day .prc
Upgraded to Fat32 (support larger than 2GB SDCard)
Added VolumeCare .prc (must have for Treo 650 for volume control)
Updated SmartText Engine from Palm

With the above changes I was able to bring the ROM down from 8.2mb to 7.1mb and that makes a world of a different between a Stable GMXT and one that reboots after a short operation.

The other key application for me is FlushIt to flush clean DBCache after GMXT. Also PowerRun to run application from the SD Card, with PowerRun one should be able to keep most of the application on the SD and you should have about 8 to 12MB of RAM left and I find that to be enough for a healthy Treo 650.

I believe if I can persuade myself to give up Agendus Pro and use the plain palm PIM I can shave a whooping 1.7mb off the ROM. Hmm.. that might be a good idea in the near future.

Hope this help and I am writting all this from memory with no proper documentation.

jackdon. :-'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:28 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My GPS 10 no longer works after upgrading to the latest Mobile XT. So warning to all GPS 10 users, don't upgrade to the latest version of Garmin Mobile XT for Palm OS with GPS 10x software version 4.10.10p as of September 19, 2007.