Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:02 pm 

GPS: N5 21.907 E100 26.695
can the signal penetrate through several inches of steel plates and reach below sea-level?

I m goin to sail, since I wont be in charge of the bridge(ship maneuvering department) hence cannot monitor the real-time gps all the time as i will in charge mainly in engine/machinery compartments( usually below water level in ship) . I m planning to buy a USB gps receiver that works when connected to laptop or get a gps nuvi phone to play around during free time, will it work ?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:08 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
If you are enclosed inside a steel cabin it is unlikely the GPS receiver can see any Satellite. If your cabin is below the water line it will be even tougher to get any signal. You can experiment by placing a Bluetooth GPS receiver on higher deck within the range of your Notebook.

Do let us know how it goes... Happy Sailing & Bon Voyage.... Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:33 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: 60CSx, Nuvi 255W(Asian Set)
electrogugu wrote:
can the signal penetrate through several inches of steel plates and reach below sea-level?

I m goin to sail, since I wont be in charge of the bridge(ship maneuvering department) hence cannot monitor the real-time gps all the time as i will in charge mainly in engine/machinery compartments( usually below water level in ship) . I m planning to buy a USB gps receiver that works when connected to laptop or get a gps nuvi phone to play around during free time, will it work ?

I work on an oil rig. I've tried but not possible to get GPS signal while inside hull or cabin due to steel structure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:03 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
electrogugu wrote:
I m planning to buy a USB gps receiver that works when connected to laptop or get a gps nuvi phone to play around during free time, will it work ?
If that is what you want to do, then you can place the GPS above deck or anywhere where it can 'see' the sky. It will work. I placed mine at the porthole of my cabin when I was on the Alaskan Cruise and recorded the entire journey. Then you can see your track in your laptop during your free time and if your laptop has MapSource and a map of the area you were sailing, you can see your track in the map which makes it a lot more meaningful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
I'm just thinking..... :-k

He can get one of those external antenna and connect to one of those handheld or Nuvi (capable of attaching external antenna) and it could work. If the wire is not long enough....he can probably DIY and lengthen it to run from the above deck with sky view and all the way down to the engine room.

The other method is probably one of those bluetooth capable GPSr receiver... but against the distance and walls might be a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:03 am 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
ace wrote:
I'm just thinking..... :-k

He can get one of those external antenna and connect to one of those handheld or Nuvi (capable of attaching external antenna) and it could work. If the wire is not long enough....he can probably DIY and lengthen it to run from the above deck with sky view and all the way down to the engine room.

The other method is probably one of those bluetooth capable GPSr receiver... but against the distance and walls might be a problem.

Depends on what kind how big a ship he is working in. If it is one of those super tankers / cruise ships, the top deck to the engine room can be be pretty high. The length of the cable needs to be pretty long with result signal degradation

Bluetooth distance is pretty short.

A good professional GPS re-radiator is one option to transmit the signal though again the length of cable has some limitation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:19 am 
Senior Mapper

I don't think he needs or have the time to view the GPS in real-time when he is working in the engine room. He only likes to view it during his off-duty hours.

So as long as his colleagues will not steal his GPS, he can leave it above deck and record the track unattended, to be viewed later. No need for any elaborate or expensive set-up for real-time viewing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:21 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
If that is the case, than the arrangement in the picture below should do the trick... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachments:
jaguar went fishing 2.jpg
jaguar went fishing 2.jpg [ 27.32 KiB | Viewed 1302 times ]
jaguar went fishing.jpg
jaguar went fishing.jpg [ 35.25 KiB | Viewed 1302 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:03 pm 
Senior Mapper

Exactly. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:52 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: 60CS
You can actually buy one of the very cheap GPS data logger. Then leave it above deck to see the sky while you are busy. Then when you are free, just connect it to your laptop to download the tracks, then you can continue to leave the logger up on deck while you take your laptop back to your bunk to view the track of the journey. If you order one of the cheap GPS datalogger from USA, I think it will cost less than SGD100. Then at least it will not be as tempting a theft target as a GPSMAP60CSx which cost much more.