Installing re rad antenna

Discuss about external antenna, batteries, mount and other GPS accessories

Moderator: Moderators

samuelmok
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 205 (US), Nokia E71 GMXT

Installing re rad antenna

#1 Post by samuelmok » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:08 am

Hi, would like to install a re rad antenna but hoping to hide the wires and cables. But i know nut about hiding wires in the car. So would like to find out if any workshop knows about GPS and know how to do it? Or any bro know how to do it, i'm willing to pay for the installation fee. Driving a Nissan Latio.

Thanks

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Installing re rad antenna

#2 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:47 am

Bro samuelmok, installing a Re-Rad antenna does not involve any electrical wiring. The unit plugs into cigarette lighter ( just get the twin adapter so you have one slot available for other devices ) and route the internal antenna inside your car and the external antenna outside your car via your via your car door or put it in front of your dashboard ? Just a little effort and some sweat needed.

Any car -installer can do it in a jiffy. Just tell him what you want to achieve and pay him for his labor.

singawon
Elite
Elite
GPS: XXX

#3 Post by singawon » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:35 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:Bro samuelmok, installing a Re-Rad antenna does not involve any electrical wiring. The unit plugs into cigarette lighter ( just get the twin adapter so you have one slot available for other devices ) and route the internal antenna inside your car and the external antenna outside your car via your via your car door or put it in front of your dashboard ? Just a little effort and some sweat needed.

Any car -installer can do it in a jiffy. Just tell him what you want to achieve and pay him for his labor.
The distance of this 2 have to be at least 5 feet apart, if not it won't work.... :mrgreen:

samuelmok
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 205 (US), Nokia E71 GMXT

#4 Post by samuelmok » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi, have installed re-rad antenna after the reception was hugely minimized after installing V-Kool. So went to east gear today and bought the progin SBG-190 re-rad antenna which cost $59.

The wire from the antenna was too much for me to tahan so immediately went to Autopoint at ang mo kio and hide the cable. After 30min and paying $60 :oops: , it was done :thumbsup:

The results... Superb. Used to wait for at least 5min even under clear sky before there's reception. Now, its instant reception and even can detect in multi-storey carpark.

So even though need to pay quite a bit, the result is stunning. here's the photo where its located.

The external antenna at the middle behind the antenna.

The internal is just below the IU unit.

Thanks for all the recommendation

rhan
GPS: Nuvi 765

#5 Post by rhan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:35 am

samuelmok wrote:Hi, have installed re-rad antenna after the reception was hugely minimized after installing V-Kool. So went to east gear today and bought the progin SBG-190 re-rad antenna which cost $59.

The wire from the antenna was too much for me to tahan so immediately went to Autopoint at ang mo kio and hide the cable. After 30min and paying $60 :oops: , it was done :thumbsup:

The results... Superb. Used to wait for at least 5min even under clear sky before there's reception. Now, its instant reception and even can detect in multi-storey carpark.

So even though need to pay quite a bit, the result is stunning. here's the photo where its located.
Can received in multi storey carpark?? CTE underground?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#6 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:34 am

rhan wrote:["samuelmok"]Hi, have installed re-rad antenna after the reception was hugely minimized after installing V-Kool. So went to east gear today and bought the progin SBG-190 re-rad antenna which cost $59.

Can received in multi storey carpark?? CTE underground?

For multi-storey car parks if you are near enough to the gap that has view to the sky; then OK.

Underground car parks / CTE / KJE on the longer tunnels, forget it. :mrgreen:

rhan
GPS: Nuvi 765

#7 Post by rhan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:43 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:
For multi-storey car parks if you are near enough to the gap that has view to the sky; then OK.

Underground car parks / CTE / KJE on the longer tunnels, forget it. :mrgreen:
IC.. so same as original Garmin one with mcx connector..

jskc3390
GPS: garmin

#8 Post by jskc3390 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:53 am

hi all,
do anyone know where i could get this aerial in Malaysia? I dont think ordinary car acceceries shop got sell...

carlover
Community POI leader
Community POI leader
GPS: Nuvi 765 Version 2.0 (SG/MY)

#9 Post by carlover » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:31 am

Recently, I am having GPS Signal issues with my 3560LM and seek Robert's help from AllBright to send in my set for Garmin to check and repair.

Set was return and tested with same problem as it will have lost satellite when travelling half way even on the CTE Open Air area so suspect the set got issue again.

Went to day and check with Patrick who is the boss of AllBright, he use my set and we tested on his car, no problem with lost signal along the whole journey of our testing.

So conclusion, the issue lies on my car so he advise me to purchase the Re-Radiating antenna to install on my car.

I get my workshop to install today, I install the antenna meant for exterior below the wiper area which the colour blend in with wiper cover below my windscreen and the boaster antenna, I install near the ERP area.

I guess the the two devices are too near to each other and also too near to my 3560LM so whenever I turn on the re-radiating antenna, there is no signal at all but once I switch it off, the signal slowly come back.

Any advice on what is the perfect location for installing the re-radiating antenna on sedan car?
P/S : Provide Speed Limit & Exact Coordinates for SpeedTraps & Traffic Cam Alerts, thanks

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#10 Post by jasonlee » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:05 am

carlover wrote:Recently, I am having GPS Signal issues with my 3560LM and seek Robert's help from AllBright to send in my set for Garmin to check and repair.

Set was return and tested with same problem as it will have lost satellite when travelling half way even on the CTE Open Air area so suspect the set got issue again.

Went to day and check with Patrick who is the boss of AllBright, he use my set and we tested on his car, no problem with lost signal along the whole journey of our testing.

So conclusion, the issue lies on my car so he advise me to purchase the Re-Radiating antenna to install on my car.

I get my workshop to install today, I install the antenna meant for exterior below the wiper area which the colour blend in with wiper cover below my windscreen and the boaster antenna, I install near the ERP area.

I guess the the two devices are too near to each other and also too near to my 3560LM so whenever I turn on the re-radiating antenna, there is no signal at all but once I switch it off, the signal slowly come back.

Any advice on what is the perfect location for installing the re-radiating antenna on sedan car?
I tested my rerad antenna before permanently installing and placed the external antenna on the same dashboard area and it did not work.

When I moved it about 2 m to the rear on the car roof, it worked beautifully so I concluded that there must be a certain separation distance between the external antenna and the internal antenna of the GPS maybe because of half-wave interference.

Most people who have issues with reception also have metal impregnated tint-film like V-Kool and a rerad antenna is the only answer. In my case, I wanted a more accurate tracklog for mapping.
Lean not on your own understanding