Moderator: Moderators

carlover
Community POI leader
Community POI leader
GPS: Nuvi 765 Version 2.0 (SG/MY)

Re: Installing re rad antenna

#11 Post by carlover » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:49 pm

jasonlee wrote:
carlover wrote:Recently, I am having GPS Signal issues with my 3560LM and seek Robert's help from AllBright to send in my set for Garmin to check and repair.

Set was return and tested with same problem as it will have lost satellite when travelling half way even on the CTE Open Air area so suspect the set got issue again.

Went to day and check with Patrick who is the boss of AllBright, he use my set and we tested on his car, no problem with lost signal along the whole journey of our testing.

So conclusion, the issue lies on my car so he advise me to purchase the Re-Radiating antenna to install on my car.

I get my workshop to install today, I install the antenna meant for exterior below the wiper area which the colour blend in with wiper cover below my windscreen and the boaster antenna, I install near the ERP area.

I guess the the two devices are too near to each other and also too near to my 3560LM so whenever I turn on the re-radiating antenna, there is no signal at all but once I switch it off, the signal slowly come back.

Any advice on what is the perfect location for installing the re-radiating antenna on sedan car?
I tested my rerad antenna before permanently installing and placed the external antenna on the same dashboard area and it did not work.

When I moved it about 2 m to the rear on the car roof, it worked beautifully so I concluded that there must be a certain separation distance between the external antenna and the internal antenna of the GPS maybe because of half-wave interference.

Most people who have issues with reception also have metal impregnated tint-film like V-Kool and a rerad antenna is the only answer. In my case, I wanted a more accurate tracklog for mapping.
I see, thanks. I suspect my issue lies on the wireless reverse sensor cos it might have cause interference to the GPS signal as I have drop signal once a while even on expressway.

I will ask my workshop to put the internal boaster to the rear dashboard instead as my car is sedan so no way to put the external antenna to the rear roof top so the best position is to put below the wiper area.
P/S : Provide Speed Limit & Exact Coordinates for SpeedTraps & Traffic Cam Alerts, thanks

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#12 Post by jasonlee » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:00 pm

carlover wrote: I see, thanks. I suspect my issue lies on the wireless reverse sensor cos it might have cause interference to the GPS signal as I have drop signal once a while even on expressway.

I will ask my workshop to put the internal boaster to the rear dashboard instead as my car is sedan so no way to put the external antenna to the rear roof top so the best position is to put below the wiper area.
The separation distance is my guess.

I think the external antenna should be external to eliminate any attenuation of signals. Even if your car roof is not long enough, if you mount it on the rear edge of a sedan and the GPS on the front windscreen, you should have more than 1 m of separation. Should work I think.
Lean not on your own understanding

carlover
Community POI leader
Community POI leader
GPS: Nuvi 765 Version 2.0 (SG/MY)

#13 Post by carlover » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:07 pm

jasonlee wrote:
carlover wrote: I see, thanks. I suspect my issue lies on the wireless reverse sensor cos it might have cause interference to the GPS signal as I have drop signal once a while even on expressway.

The separation distance is my guess.

I think the external antenna should be external to eliminate any attenuation of signals. Even if your car roof is not long enough, if you mount it on the rear edge of a sedan and the GPS on the front windscreen, you should have more than 1 m of separation. Should work I think.
Thanks, brother.

I have ask my workshop to shift the external antenna to my rear windscreen and the internal boaster still remains beside the IU unit near to where I mount my GPS 3560LM, it works.

I can get signal within seconds when out of shelter area and the accuracy is 3M wherever I go, no more satellite signal lost anymore. Loving it. :thumbsup:
P/S : Provide Speed Limit & Exact Coordinates for SpeedTraps & Traffic Cam Alerts, thanks