Car power adapter for GPSMap 60csx questions

Discuss about external antenna, batteries, mount and other GPS accessories

Moderator: Moderators

jungleguy
GPS: Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

Car power adapter for GPSMap 60csx questions

#1 Post by jungleguy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Hello to all!

I'm a happy owner of a Garmin GPSMap 60csx. Normally I use it on foot in the jungles but now would also like to use it in my car.
I've seen those car cigarette lighter splitters (2 and 3 outputs) that also have a USB power output. Can it be used to power my Garmin by using a USB cable? Is it safe to do so or would it be better for me to purchase a rather pricey original Garmin cigarette lighter adapter with a 4 prong output?

Best regards,

jungleguy

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Car power adapter for GPSMap 60csx questions

#2 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:39 pm

jungleguy wrote:Hello to all!

I'm a happy owner of a Garmin GPSMap 60csx. Normally I use it on foot in the jungles but now would also like to use it in my car.
I've seen those car cigarette lighter splitters (2 and 3 outputs) that also have a USB power output. Can it be used to power my Garmin by using a USB cable? Is it safe to do so or would it be better for me to purchase a rather pricey original Garmin cigarette lighter adapter with a 4 prong output?

Best regards,

jungleguy

As long as voltage is within the specifications of the USB published specs, it is fine to use it.

Just beware of inferior brands power supplies. Blowing up your GPS to save a few bucks is not wise. :cry:

jungleguy

#3 Post by jungleguy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:45 pm

SilverBeauty wrote: As long as voltage is within the specifications of the USB published specs, it is fine to use it.

Just beware of inferior brands power supplies. Blowing up your GPS to save a few bucks is not wise. :cry:
Thank you for your reply, SilverBeauty. The adapter I saw has a 5V 500milliamps output, and has a fuse. Will this be sufficient to power the GPSMap?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#4 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:18 pm

jungleguy wrote:["SilverBeauty"]
As long as voltage is within the specifications of the USB published specs, it is fine to use it.

Thank you for your reply, SilverBeauty. The adapter I saw has a 5V 500milliamps output, and has a fuse. Will this be sufficient to power the GPSMap?

The label may say 5A 500milliamps but is the output voltage really 5V?

The fuse only protects against short circuit but not over-voltage ? There is potential that your unit can be fried before the fuse blows :shock:

I say again, cavert emptor ... let the buyer beware ...

Still best to invest in a reliable branded external power source.

jungleguy

#5 Post by jungleguy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:49 pm

SilverBeauty, I agree. After much thought I'm going for an original Garmin ciggy lighter adapter. No sense in saving RM130 while putting a RM1.5k gps at risk. Thank you again for your replies! =D>

BanBan
Qualified Mapper
GPS: 60CS, Unbranded MCX ext. antenna, Nuvi 1460, 2565.

#6 Post by BanBan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Let me throw a spanner into the works here.

I have been using a cheapo cigar lighter usb power that I bought in a Carrefour for about RM13 to power my 60 CSx and also Nuvi 650. The usb cable is not permanently attached to the power plug. It is just a third party usb cable that I bought separately. The good thing about this set up is that I also always have that usb cable handy in the car that I can use with a notebook as needed. This is especially useful when I want to process tracks while still away from home. I have been using this setup for years without problem... touch wood.

I will still put my escape clause here. You have to decide for yourself which one to use. I am just sharing my experience that a RM13 usb plug have served me well for many years.
"Aha! Papa got a new toy!" - BanBan (My 3 yr old daughter)

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C

#7 Post by moeyHC » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:44 pm

Let's make it 2 spanners...

I'm a cheapo too... modifying handphone car chargers for the GPS. These In-Car-Chargers uses the same regulator IC (for all the unit I have checked). The <RM20.00 charger works as good as the original. If you are technical enough to check its performance than you save some money.... Like both Bros before me you have to decide what to use...cheers!
MSM Glossary/Index - viewtopic.php?p=57986#p57986

jungleguy

#8 Post by jungleguy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:29 pm

Thank you for your replies, moeyHC and BanBan. I must now contribute a 3rd spannar and hereby retract my previous post! :)
I went to a car accessory shop and spoke to the boss. he showed me a slightly more expensive ciggy lighter adapter (2 ciggy lighter outlets and 1 USB outlet) and demonstrated it to me by plugging in his Dopod to the USB outlet of the adapter. The Dopod started charging Then he tested the voltage output with a meter (sorry..i dunno what kind, am a layman when it comes to electrics).

He said it was totally safe and many people are now using this kind of adapter instead of the manufacturer's charger and would not harm my trusty Garmin. Nervously, I let him plug in my gps to the adapter. VOILA! Power on! I bought the adapter and after about 5 hrs driving time, the gps still functions normally. A word of caution: the auto accessory shop boss told me not to plug in anything to the adapter when starting the engine in order to avoid a "power surge"; After the engine has started and stabilized, then plug in the devices. I run the air ionizer, MP3 transmitter and Garmin simultaneously with no problems. Maybe I've just been lucky so far; if anyone else wishes to try this method, do so at your own risk!