Headphone jack for nuvi

Discuss about external antenna, batteries, mount and other GPS accessories

Moderator: Moderators

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC

Headphone jack for nuvi

#1 Post by darthobiguan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Thanks guys for answering my question. I have another question to ask. I am currently using my Nuvi 610 for the past 3.7 years and is still very fond of it.

Aside from its obvious GPS function, the Nuvi 610 also serve as an MP3 player. With the headphone jack, I plug it to my car stereo via a casette converter. (yes my car stereo unit still have a casette slot!). Thus I am able to listen songs, listen to navigation instruction and have a phone conversation via my car speaker.

Unfortunately, it seems like a trend from Garmin that the latest Nuvi model (eg. 1xxx, 3xxx) no longer offer headphone jack or FM transmitter and only MY/SG 3xxx have mp3 player. So is there any other way of hooking up the MY/SG 3xxx unit to my car stereo?

My 610 is still very sturdy and hopefully it will stay that way. But if it does breakdown, I can see that Nuvi 765 will only fit my requirement and that is a very old model.

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

Re: Calling Nuvi Owners (Asian sets) - MSM NT Maps Download

#2 Post by Zeus73 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm

darthobiguan wrote:Thanks guys for answering my question. I have another question to ask. I am currently using my Nuvi 610 for the past 3.7 years and is still very fond of it.

Aside from its obvious GPS function, the Nuvi 610 also serve as an MP3 player. With the headphone jack, I plug it to my car stereo via a casette converter. (yes my car stereo unit still have a casette slot!). Thus I am able to listen songs, listen to navigation instruction and have a phone conversation via my car speaker.

Unfortunately, it seems like a trend from Garmin that the latest Nuvi model (eg. 1xxx, 3xxx) no longer offer headphone jack or FM transmitter and only MY/SG 3xxx have mp3 player. So is there any other way of hooking up the MY/SG 3xxx unit to my car stereo?

My 610 is still very sturdy and hopefully it will stay that way. But if it does breakdown, I can see that Nuvi 765 will only fit my requirement and that is a very old model.
The recent batch of nuvi 3790 comes with an adapter for you to connect to the headphone jack (3.5mm type).

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#3 Post by jasonlee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:24 pm

darthobiguan wrote:Thanks guys for answering my question. I have another question to ask. I am currently using my Nuvi 610 for the past 3.7 years and is still very fond of it.

Sorry Bro Darthobiguan,

I don't have a 3xxx Nuvi so I can't answer your question. Best to wait for Bro SilverBeauty or Bro Zeus73.

Just to share my experience, I seriously do not think that any Nuvi doubling as an MP3 player can really be very good. I bought a Zen X-Fi2 made by Creative and am very happy with it. There was no way to play through my car stereo so I bought an MP3 Player/FM transmitter through the Internet which cost me less than US$10 which has a slot for a Micro SD card as well as a 3.5mm input for me to connect my Zen X-Fi2. I am sure its performance as an MP3 player would be on par with the Nuvis so if you are satisfied with that, the option is to buy such a player, plug in your SD card or USB pendrive and transmit by FM to your car stereo to enjoy your music. In such case, you need not choose a GPS on account of its MP3 function and can choose based on your navigation needs.

Edit: Sorry the price seems to have gone up slightly, See here: http://www.dinodirect.com/wholesale-fm- ... ml?cur=USD
Lean not on your own understanding

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC

#4 Post by darthobiguan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi Zeus,

The adapter sounds good enough for me.
Zeus73 wrote: The recent batch of nuvi 3790 comes with an adapter for you to connect to the headphone jack (3.5mm type).

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#5 Post by Zeus73 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:33 pm

darthobiguan wrote:Hi Zeus,

The adapter sounds good enough for me.
Too bad my nuvi 3790 don't come with it. :cry:
Attachments
nuvi 3790 MP3.jpg
nuvi 3790 MP3.jpg (7.47 KiB) Viewed 4292 times

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#6 Post by cruiser » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Zeus73 wrote: Too bad my nuvi 3790 don't come with it. :cry:

Well Zeus, if you waste no time and stop gloating... :nehneh: Go for it while the discount is still on!!!

I'm ordering it myself, looks like a cool option. A word of caution if one has only one 12v terminal in the vehicle and that is providing power for yr GPS... you then need to first get a splitter, just a thought there. :-' :mrgreen:

I'm getting this myself!!! Thanks Jason for the link. :thumbsup: Just click on that 12v cigarette adaptor and it'll take you to the website to place yr order. :mrgreen:

:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#7 Post by jasonlee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi Bro Cruiser,

You are most welcome.

I am happy with mine and it has performed far beyond what I expected of a sub-US$10 device. Not surprised that people will scoff at it because it is so cheap.

You are absolutely right about having only one cigarette lighter socket. The solution is to buy a multi-port cigarette lighter adapter from almost any accessory shop - even Tesco or Carrefour have them. I bought a 3-port adapter so from one socket, I now can power 3 appliances. :thumbsup:

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#8 Post by cruiser » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 pm

jasonlee wrote:Hi Bro Cruiser,

You are most welcome.

I am happy with mine and it has performed far beyond what I expected of a sub-US$10 device. Not surprised that people will scoff at it because it is so cheap.

You are absolutely right about having only one cigarette lighter socket. The solution is to buy a multi-port cigarette lighter adapter from almost any accessory shop - even Tesco or Carrefour have them. I bought a 3-port adapter so from one socket, I now can power 3 appliances. :thumbsup:

Oh well, these days, one has to have the mindset of treating hardwares of whatever nature it serves simply as a "wegwerp" meaning, "throw away" item after its short or long service is duly met and most of the time, its initial cost is covered after a lengthy satisfied service. Just like the Japanese cars in the 60 - 80s.... :mrgreen: Not now though. :-k

I have two of them multi-ports and both are further equipped with usb charge ports too for my Jawbone headphones as well.

But in my car I have already as standard factory equipment, three 12v terminals, two in front and another in the rear (boot bay) which is handy to plug in the Electrolux refrigerator for long cruising and if that is not enough, there's the pure sinus inverter located in between the front and rear seats to supply power to two laptops or one 450W heavy duty car computer as well.

I hardly get to switch or play my CDs coz they are now a thing of the past so my Beatles CD stays in the disk drive all these while.... :lol: but this new option is a splendid idea to flash out my 16GB SD card filled with labels and some YouTube clips to hear the playback on the car speakers. :thumbsup:
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#9 Post by jasonlee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Wow! You have what I was hoping to get.

I have all the while been thinking of a 1,000W 220V inverter to power a mini-fridge when I go for long overland trips to Thailand for example. I saw one in Shenzhen but it costs nearly RM2,000 so I was hesitant to buy such an expensive product and not have local service should something go wrong. I could not find an inverters in Malaysia larger than 250W. Thailand has a better range but some of them are only half-wave and not being local is another deterrent.

Sigh! Can only drool. ](*,)

cruiser
Elite
Elite

#10 Post by cruiser » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:17 pm

jasonlee wrote:Wow! You have what I was hoping to get.

I see... will continue on a new thread instead... we're cruising off.... :tracking: topic... #-o
Last edited by cruiser on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.