Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:09 am 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: None
Quote:
Hi, this is a review we have prepared with viper76 as we have tested the antenna on a couple of GPS and drove make some tracks. The pro's and con's are comments from Viper76. You can pm him directly on myself, or ask questions openly on this thread. Thanks Viper76 for your inputs. Have fun:

Hi All,

I just want to make a small review on the PC-Mobile re-radiating antenna I bought from "The GeoBazarr" at Wisma Central next to KLCC. Price RM200.00 . Guaranty 6 months. Composed of an external active MCX antenna and a black box re-transmitting the signal through a metallic cable. The square box does not look impressive at first glance, but its performance makes you forget about that detail.

I answered the call of MyGIS (username here in MSM) the owner of the shop when he posted a thread in the bargain corner wanting to sell a second hand re-radiating antenna, it was one month old and the owner wanted RM150.00 out of it. I made contact with MyGIS to check on the price and decided the pay a visit to the shop that coming Saturday (I would not comment on the shop as it is not a review on the subject. It would be good to note that they have a wide range of PC-Mobile cables and OtterBox casings - recently started selling RAM mounts).

At the shop, MyGIS showed me the item (or two items) and they looked in good shape. I was still hesitating about purchasing the item, however, MyGIS proposed to take the hardware for a spin. I decided to take my NUVI 200 on board and he proposed to take this opportunity to put side by side a NUVI 300 and a GPSMAP 60CSx (See picture below).

We drove out of the Wisma Central's parking and stopped aside the road between the new Four Season's hotel construction site and the KLCC open air car park.

(Just to highlight ... look at how bright is the NUVI's 200 screen, I love it ! )

We decided to test the antenna on the GPSMAP 60 CSx and the results were noticeable"

Signal with Antenna off:

Signal with Antenna on:

Unfortunately, the NUVI series do not have the GPS info tools so it was not possible to do a good comparison since we always had 4-5 bars on each NUVI. I was then not sure to say that I needed the RM150.00 second hand item. After driving around, MyGIS proposed to test the antenna by putting the NUVI's far from any satellite signals and switching on the antenna when the GPS was not receiving any signal.

I hid behind a structure pole in the building's car park ...

We waited for the signal to weaken....

... and disappear ....

we switched on the antenna and we got four bars, and, quickly a fix on our position.

We then decided to make the same tests on the NUVI 300:

Antenna Off:

Antenna On:

... and then, we tried something else: One re-radiating antenna - two NUVI's side by side:

Antenna Off:

Antenna On:

After seeing the results, we went back to the shop and I paid for the item.

Back to my routine, I returned home with my new toy...

Below is a picture of the active antenna on the rooftop of my car

... and guess what? I can get signal inside my covered car park now. I am getting three bars.

... Still three bars.

:shock: Oh! now five bars.

Pro's:

In terms of accuracy, the tracking results when overlayed on Google Earth has improved as I get less jumpy points outside even though I am not driving too slowly. Since my windshield is tinted, the first fix is calculated faster because I am receiving the signal from the top of my car roof.

Overall, the re-radiating antenna from PC-Mobile (sold by MyGIS - http://www.gis.com.my) improves the quality of the signal and the accuracy of my location. It can be used with the NUVI 200 and 300 series as well as the GPSMAP 60CSx as I have witnessed. It was RM150.00 well spent for a second hand item.

The re-radiating antenna does a :good:

Con's:

You might not like using it if you do not like dealing with cables.
The Geobazaar works mainly on appointment ...

:tq:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:40 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Vista B&W, Vista HCx
Good review. It would be even better if you could present the review with an aid of your unit's tracklog, i.e., like what I did in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3104

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:29 am 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: None
Hi turbo' ,

I believe Viper76 is working on that.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:52 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
:good: Viper...a fact that is technically hard to disprove for hesitant buyers to decide the right choice...I would not discard my ext antenna but may look into this re radiating one as a handy option to have along when along our routes, esp in Austria and Switzerland... there's many long tunnels to drive through. :tq:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:07 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: nuvi 200+ re-rad antenna
i will work on tracking so that u all can see the different

bye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:58 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
viper76 wrote:

bye

Will you also seize the opportunity to test out a standard Garmin ext antenna that comes with it? So one will know the response rate and degree of reception as opposed to the Re radiator sprite or is it called a rod also? :tq: for the excellent initiative you're putting yrself through... :good:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:07 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Vista B&W, Vista HCx
viper76 wrote:

bye

You may wonder why I wrap my units with ESD bag. It was for the reason of minimizing the chance of getting multipath signal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:12 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: gps76csx, gps76csx, gps72, nokia n96,10x,Holux m241
All sifu and Guru there
how about this Re-Radiating Antenna
better or the same :-k
http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2861&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
let me know pls. :tq:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:20 am 
Elite
Elite

kuchingguy wrote:
All sifu and Guru there
how about this Re-Radiating Antenna
better or the same :-k
http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2861&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
let me know pls. :tq:

...aand with or without Prometheus Space (lab) helmet? :-$

I think that 5cm high rad antenna is discrete to tuck away and yours is giving good results... but if there is another looking less ominous with better results, why not? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:33 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: gps76csx, gps76csx, gps72, nokia n96,10x,Holux m241
Bro cruiser,
i ask is because i want to buy another 1
so do you think buy the same one or
the 1 that bro viper76 post ??? :-?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next