Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:21 am 
Offline
Senior Mapper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 pm
Posts: 3021
Location: Sandakan
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
starcrew wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am planning on a free and easy trip to Australia.
My plan is to drive and maybe B&B.

I have a Garmin nuvi 1350 local set.
I managed to get two files (for Australia and NZ) from the sites. They are gmapsupp.img and gmapprom.img.

My question is how to use the 2 files to add to my Garmin set or maybe SD card?

Thank you in advance.


My suggestions is to put them in separate m/SD cards. Create a folder "Map" or "Garmin" in the SD card
(depending on your model) and place the gmapsupp.img in this folder. For the gmapprom.img, rename it
to gmapsupp.img and do the same by placing it in another card. Load the cards one by one in your GPSr
to work out what file contains what map (or are they the same file). Use SD card and avoid playing around
with your main memory.

When you go on holiday, don't forget to pack the SD card & GPSr. Take plenty of pics and upload here
for us to share when you get back.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:03 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Singapore
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W
Quote:
My suggestions is to put them in separate m/SD cards. Create a folder "Map" or "Garmin" in the SD card
(depending on your model) and place the gmapsupp.img in this folder. For the gmapprom.img, rename it
to gmapsupp.img and do the same by placing it in another card. Load the cards one by one in your GPSr
to work out what file contains what map (or are they the same file). Use SD card and avoid playing around
with your main memory.

When you go on holiday, don't forget to pack the SD card & GPSr. Take plenty of pics and upload here
for us to share when you get back.



Thank you for the info, Bartmp8.
I will do follow your instructions and see if it is ok.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:25 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 25
GPS: Garmin eTrex Vista HCX
Garmin Nuvi 205
Hi,
May I know where I can get Melbourne and Sydney maps? There are so many posts this forum that it has made my head spin! :ko:
Would this link be a good one? http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Thanks


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm 
Offline
Senior Mapper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 pm
Posts: 3021
Location: Sandakan
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
cheahsb wrote:
Hi,
May I know where I can get Melbourne and Sydney maps? There are so many posts this forum that it has made my head spin! :ko:
Would this link be a good one? http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Thanks


OSM maps are always a good start. Try this list also:

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59327#p59327


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:14 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 25
GPS: Garmin eTrex Vista HCX
Garmin Nuvi 205
Thanks for the tip! I was able to download the .img files from the OMS web site.

However when I try to upload the .img maps into Mapsource using "M3" or "Mapset Toolkit", I keep getting "Unknown Error" and was unable to load it into Mapsource.
Can anyone help?

I haven't tried loading directly into the GPS, but I would prefer to view the map in Mapsource first before uploading it into the GPS.

Thanks


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:26 pm 
Offline
Senior Mapper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 pm
Posts: 3021
Location: Sandakan
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
cheahsb wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I was able to download the .img files from the OMS web site.

However when I try to upload the .img maps into Mapsource using "M3" or "Mapset Toolkit", I keep getting "Unknown Error" and was unable to load it into Mapsource.
Can anyone help?

I haven't tried loading directly into the GPS, but I would prefer to view the map in Mapsource first before uploading it into the GPS.

Thanks


I'm no expert but these files are gmapsupp and its for loading into GPSr not Mapsource. If you want mapsource
installer files, I believe you need to fiddle with a prog called Gmaptools. Sorry, I have never done this before
bcos I have never felt the need for it. But ... I believe its possible.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 25
GPS: Garmin eTrex Vista HCX
Garmin Nuvi 205
Thanks. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:11 pm
Posts: 3
GPS: garmin 200w
hi all, need some advice as i am going to perth in May...

basically previously i had australia maps loaded on my garmin 205w but now i cannot find it.....
the last time i went australia in 2008 i am sure i had the map....the only thing i did in between then and now is to upload a malsing map in 2010...so now when i go map info...i only can see the malsing map plus the city navigator (USA) which came with the set(bought in 2008)....

anywhere i can go get uptodate australia maps?and how do i just copy into the SD card?i have not touch anything in the unit..besides downloading the malsing map previously onto the sd card..

pls help


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:30 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:35 pm
Posts: 4
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 360
scratchy wrote:
hi all, need some advice as i am going to perth in May...

basically previously i had australia maps loaded on my garmin 205w but now i cannot find it.....
the last time i went australia in 2008 i am sure i had the map....the only thing i did in between then and now is to upload a malsing map in 2010...so now when i go map info...i only can see the malsing map plus the city navigator (USA) which came with the set(bought in 2008)....

anywhere i can go get uptodate australia maps?and how do i just copy into the SD card?i have not touch anything in the unit..besides downloading the malsing map previously onto the sd card..

pls help


You can buy it online from ebay, or you can loan one from a Garmin distributers. Please check pm.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:27 am 
Offline
Senior Mapper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 pm
Posts: 3021
Location: Sandakan
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
There are some good FOC maps of Australia (esp Perth) done by our own Members.

I suggest you go here:

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59327#p59327


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group