Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:21 am 
Senior Mapper

GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
starcrew wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am planning on a free and easy trip to Australia.
My plan is to drive and maybe B&B.

I have a Garmin nuvi 1350 local set.
I managed to get two files (for Australia and NZ) from the sites. They are gmapsupp.img and gmapprom.img.

My question is how to use the 2 files to add to my Garmin set or maybe SD card?

Thank you in advance.

My suggestions is to put them in separate m/SD cards. Create a folder "Map" or "Garmin" in the SD card
(depending on your model) and place the gmapsupp.img in this folder. For the gmapprom.img, rename it
to gmapsupp.img and do the same by placing it in another card. Load the cards one by one in your GPSr
to work out what file contains what map (or are they the same file). Use SD card and avoid playing around
with your main memory.

When you go on holiday, don't forget to pack the SD card & GPSr. Take plenty of pics and upload here
for us to share when you get back.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:03 pm 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W
Quote:
My suggestions is to put them in separate m/SD cards. Create a folder "Map" or "Garmin" in the SD card
(depending on your model) and place the gmapsupp.img in this folder. For the gmapprom.img, rename it
to gmapsupp.img and do the same by placing it in another card. Load the cards one by one in your GPSr
to work out what file contains what map (or are they the same file). Use SD card and avoid playing around
with your main memory.

When you go on holiday, don't forget to pack the SD card & GPSr. Take plenty of pics and upload here
for us to share when you get back.

Thank you for the info, Bartmp8.
I will do follow your instructions and see if it is ok.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:25 pm 

GPS: Garmin eTrex Vista HCX
Garmin Nuvi 205
Hi,
May I know where I can get Melbourne and Sydney maps? There are so many posts this forum that it has made my head spin! :ko:
Would this link be a good one? http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
cheahsb wrote:
Hi,
May I know where I can get Melbourne and Sydney maps? There are so many posts this forum that it has made my head spin! :ko:
Would this link be a good one? http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Thanks

OSM maps are always a good start. Try this list also:

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59327#p59327

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:14 pm 

Garmin Nuvi 205
Thanks for the tip! I was able to download the .img files from the OMS web site.

However when I try to upload the .img maps into Mapsource using "M3" or "Mapset Toolkit", I keep getting "Unknown Error" and was unable to load it into Mapsource.
Can anyone help?

I haven't tried loading directly into the GPS, but I would prefer to view the map in Mapsource first before uploading it into the GPS.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:26 pm 
Senior Mapper

cheahsb wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I was able to download the .img files from the OMS web site.

However when I try to upload the .img maps into Mapsource using "M3" or "Mapset Toolkit", I keep getting "Unknown Error" and was unable to load it into Mapsource.
Can anyone help?

I haven't tried loading directly into the GPS, but I would prefer to view the map in Mapsource first before uploading it into the GPS.

Thanks

I'm no expert but these files are gmapsupp and its for loading into GPSr not Mapsource. If you want mapsource
installer files, I believe you need to fiddle with a prog called Gmaptools. Sorry, I have never done this before
bcos I have never felt the need for it. But ... I believe its possible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 am 

Garmin Nuvi 205
Thanks. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 pm 

GPS: garmin 200w
hi all, need some advice as i am going to perth in May...

basically previously i had australia maps loaded on my garmin 205w but now i cannot find it.....
the last time i went australia in 2008 i am sure i had the map....the only thing i did in between then and now is to upload a malsing map in 2010...so now when i go map info...i only can see the malsing map plus the city navigator (USA) which came with the set(bought in 2008)....

anywhere i can go get uptodate australia maps?and how do i just copy into the SD card?i have not touch anything in the unit..besides downloading the malsing map previously onto the sd card..

pls help

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:30 pm 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 360
scratchy wrote:
hi all, need some advice as i am going to perth in May...

basically previously i had australia maps loaded on my garmin 205w but now i cannot find it.....
the last time i went australia in 2008 i am sure i had the map....the only thing i did in between then and now is to upload a malsing map in 2010...so now when i go map info...i only can see the malsing map plus the city navigator (USA) which came with the set(bought in 2008)....

anywhere i can go get uptodate australia maps?and how do i just copy into the SD card?i have not touch anything in the unit..besides downloading the malsing map previously onto the sd card..

pls help

You can buy it online from ebay, or you can loan one from a Garmin distributers. Please check pm.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:27 am 
Senior Mapper

There are some good FOC maps of Australia (esp Perth) done by our own Members.

I suggest you go here:

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59327#p59327

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next