Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:59 pm 

GPS: Nuvi 200
I understand that malsing maps are the hard work of all the members here. Everyone contributes and which makes the maps as what it is today. It seems that at Jerome's website, he seems to take credit for the maps here. The maps are only make available to donors. Are all of the efforts here going to go to someone's website and at the end of the day someone would stand to have monetary gains?
I believe that this place should be like a big family. Everyone does their part and should have a share of this place. If everyone's effort here ends up being an individual'a gain, wouldn't all of us here be just providing free labour?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:50 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android
Garmin123 wrote:
I understand that malsing maps are the hard work of all the members here.

Your understanding is incomplete. We users who contribute tracks, POIs and error reports do the *easy* part. The mappers who map/compile all those contributions and their own tracking/tracing do the *hard* part.

Hence, it's the other way round. We (who have tried mapping and understand the effort needed) do appreciate Jerome contribution of his SG and JOH maps to be included in Malsingmaps. AFAIK, almost 100% of the SG map was tracked and mapped by him. For the JOH map there is a bit more tracks contributions by malsingmaps members.

So I'd say your criticism of Jerome is totally unjustified, and should be withdrawn. [-X
Particularly since this is your first post and likely you have not ever contributed to any of Jerome's maps (or any other malsing maps).
:fire:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:04 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: GARMIN NUVI 310
60 CSx
Vista HCx
sabre23t wrote:
Garmin123 wrote:
I understand that malsing maps are the hard work of all the members here.

Your understanding is incomplete. We users who contribute tracks, POIs and error reports do the *easy* part. The mappers who map/compile all those contributions and their own tracking/tracing do the *hard* part.

Hence, it's the other way round. We (who have tried mapping and understand the effort needed) do appreciate Jerome contribution of his SG and JOH maps to be included in Malsingmaps. AFAIK, almost 100% of the SG map was tracked and mapped by him. For the JOH map there is a bit more tracks contributions by malsingmaps members.

So I'd say your criticism of Jerome is totally unjustified, and should be withdrawn. [-X
Particularly since this is your first post and likely have not ever contributed to any of our maps. :fire:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yupp.. we as a contributors only did the easier part.. i did try to follow the process of creating the new map and make me :x

Especially when u involve in doin' tracking which gave some wierd look from the neighbourhood.. ](*,) ](*,)
Then spending times until 3-4 am almost everyday in updating the map..

The credit shall goes to our mappers and as bro sabre23t mentioned.. we shall be thankful and feel bless since somebody out there is wiling to compile all our contribution and make it as an one img file in our GPSr... \:D/ \:D/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:07 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

GPS: Nuvi 310, 60CSx, 10x
Whoa.... I never, never seen Sabre23t use this :fire: :fire: emoticon before ..... =D> =D>

Bro Garmin123, please dont' start a 'war' without knowing the background and history. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:20 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: 60CSx, 10X
:shock: yes bro Jag, this must go into msm record. :thumbsup:

A first for bro sabre23t. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:46 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Garmin 10x with Omnia
GMXT 5.00.10TW Location Error Corrected for China Navigation.
Garmin123 wrote:
I understand that malsing maps are the hard work of all the members here. Everyone contributes and which makes the maps as what it is today. It seems that at Jerome's website, he seems to take credit for the maps here. The maps are only make available to donors. Are all of the efforts here going to go to someone's website and at the end of the day someone would stand to have monetary gains?
I believe that this place should be like a big family. Everyone does their part and should have a share of this place. If everyone's effort here ends up being an individual'a gain, wouldn't all of us here be just providing free labour?

do you know that all the Singapore and Jahore tracks was done by himself to ensure the high quality of map. and the compiling and hosted a web site need brain power and money too. espeicially the compiling the map and created a routable map was a uneasy task. I was more appreciate that his web site accept donation and I already have his SG/Joh 3.67 a month ago. I can have a more latest map and other map as well.
Donation is up to individual. No one will force you to donate. If you feel OK then done it. No happy then go away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:52 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Nuvi, GVN52 and 60CSx
Join today and just to make such a comment. Just ignore. I think everyone here appreciate what all the mappers has done for the gps community.

btw, I did donate to Jerome for his hard work (especially the SG map), and contribute poi and corrections to malsingmap too. So pls buzz off.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:22 am 

GPS: Garmin 60CSx w Gilsson Ext Antenna, PalmTx GMXT (10x)
Having read the post of the Garmin123 and the somewhat "fiery" responses, I think the whole issue is really a misunderstanding. IMHO, one newbie who does not know the history but expresses some concern is being ticked off and even told to buzz off is uncalled for. I'm not defending nor criticizing anyone here but wouldn't you think that a more subtle 'education' could be applied?

I mean come on guys, cut him some slack. He's a newbie and thought (or mis-thought) in the good interest of Malsingmaps. True he was not aware of the massive contribution of Jerome but don't lah hang him for that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:36 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: GARMIN NUVI 310
60 CSx
Vista HCx
divemuster wrote:
Having read the post of the Garmin123 and the somewhat "fiery" responses, I think the whole issue is really a misunderstanding. IMHO, one newbie who does not know the history but expresses some concern is being ticked off and even told to buzz off is uncalled for. I'm not defending nor criticizing anyone here but wouldn't you think that a more subtle 'education' could be applied?

I mean come on guys, cut him some slack. He's a newbie and thought (or mis-thought) in the good interest of Malsingmaps. True he was not aware of the massive contribution of Jerome but don't lah hang him for that.

:-k :-k
think of it... the respond was not that harsh except some comment..

i believed that we did response to him in a good manner and explaining on why...
but you were rite about what you said... and i do believed that GARMIN123 still can login to MSM without any problem..

We always :welcome: newbie like myself in MSM.. i hope so.. that's what i've gone through since joining the forum..

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:20 am 

GPS: 255W
divemuster wrote:

it is true..Garmin123 got high spirit of protecting MSM and showing positive attitude toward the community...but just a little misunderstanding and lacking the history, he just kena hentam! somemore blaming newbie..newbie..aaargh the word newbie is being used so often to connote the impression of lacking the knowledge..and sometimes can give bad impression....well, i'm myself is a newbie! hehhehe :rock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next