Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:51 am 

GPS: GPSMAP60Cx
Thank you, SilverBeauty, looks like these maps are "pay maps", I am looking for freeware maps.

I will be in Vietnam for 2 weeks and I am not planning to return for some time (15 h flight), so I prefer not to spend money in a map for such a short use.

Anybody knows of a free Vietnam Map for Garmin???

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:16 am 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
If you can, and I think you still have time to get one, is to buy the Garmin Mobile PC as a splendid solution for your situation.

I think I am going to find myself landing in Vietnam after all... it is also a 14 days Tour after May Day with an accompanied personal local guide assigned to us... that was what I was informed so I am not going to bother much about any mappings or directions but will still have my GPS tagged along anyway... just in case, our Tour guide him/herself lost us in those tunnels...LoL. That will leave me freely with snapping the shots on this trip.

Where are you starting off your trip upon arrival in Vietnam, Hanoi or HCM City? Don't forget to take along the Malaria Tablets with you... leave the Spanish Fly back home... this is mozzyland U R entering... :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:14 pm 
V.I.P
V.I.P

GPS: Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX, Gilsson 55 dB antenna
Spiff wrote:
Thank you, SilverBeauty, looks like these maps are "pay maps", I am looking for freeware maps.

I will be in Vietnam for 2 weeks and I am not planning to return for some time (15 h flight), so I prefer not to spend money in a map for such a short use.

Anybody knows of a free Vietnam Map for Garmin???

Hi,

I created a Vietnam map (linked to Laos for land based border crossings) before I went there in Nov. Have a look here:-

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3202

Do let me know of POIs, errors and road alignments if you can (tracklogs would be good).

Have a great trip.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 pm 

GPS: GPSMAP60Cx
rchan wrote:
I created a Vietnam map (linked to Laos for land based border crossings) before I went there in Nov. Have a look here:-

Do let me know of POIs, errors and road alignments if you can (tracklogs would be good).

Have a great trip.

Thank you, it´s a very nice map.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:34 pm 

GPS: blackberry 8800
This is maps copy form diadiem.com

created by Oziexplorer

http://rimjsc.com/vdh/hanoi.tar
http://www.tinhte.info/tinhte/HoChiMinh.zip

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:23 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Garmin GPSMAP60Csx
Garmin NUVI 760
Dopod U1000 Mapking
Quote:

Bro rchan

I have just returned from a trip to HCMC and Can Tho, before I went, I have the privilege of downloading your topo map (Many thanks) and also the HCMC map from the MAP CENTRE for use together with he Garmin base map.

My remarks are as follows:

1. Both rchan map and Garmin base map were quite similar for driving purposes and the Garmin map was routeable but the actual tracks were not aligned and in many instances as far as 500M out.

2. The HCMC road map downloaded from MapCentre was very accurate (albeit slightly out), it was so detailed that even the main "side lanes" were shown (really impressed the Vietnamese driver!). But it was not routeable and devoid of POIs, street names.

In the absence of a good free map, (Garmin does not have a proper Vietnam map yet) the 3 maps sufficed for the last 10 days.....

During the several trips made over the past 2-3 years, I have logged a number of tracks and POIs for HCMC and Can Tho cities. I am submitting them to you here - In Can Tho, I have identified Megenta tracks as waterways while all green tracks are road tracks.

Hope they will contribute towards your mapping efforts for Vietnam.

I shall be joining a convoy of cars in November driving through Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia, I hope to try out your map for Laos that way too in due course.

Kind regards

cflai
Attachment:
File comment: Ho Chi Minh City
ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 11 11.09.gif
ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 11 11.09.gif [ 56.97 KiB | Viewed 2953 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Can Tho City
ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 11 11.10.gif
ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 11 11.10.gif [ 44.76 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

Attachments:
Consolidated Tracks Can Tho & HCMC.gdb [1.77 MiB]
Downloaded 310 times

Post subject: Re: Vietnam Map
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:44 pm 
V.I.P
V.I.P

Thanks cflai for sharing your tracklogs and thank you for your observations as well in regards to the three maps.

If you have been reading the Laos Routeable thread, you will see that a couple of members have contributed tracklogs which I have been busy updating my maps recently.

I am pleased to announce that I am very close to releasing an updated 2008 version of free Laos & Vietnam auto routing with topo features Garmin GPS map Ver 2008_R1

I'll very likely be uploading it to this free file hosting site:-

http://www.esnips.com/web/rklchansBusinessFiles

so keep an eye out sometime next week....

At the moment, it contains more street details around Hanoi and lots of detailed tracklogs around mostly Laos. I have some tracks around Northern Vietnam but haven't got around to doing them yet. It will be in Ver 2008_R2 which will incorporate your tracks as well !!

Yes, I had a look at the HCMC map on Mapcenter but wasn't sure of the accuracy. Now that you have mentioned it, I will turn it into an auto routing map and incorporate that into the later release. It's a lot of work to tidy that file up to make it auto routing. :-(

Thanks again.

Rchan
=D>

Last edited by rchan on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:47 pm 
V.I.P
V.I.P

BTW, I see you have a Nuvi.

The free Laos & Vietnam auto routing with topo features Garmin GPS map Ver 2008_R1

should be fully compatible with Nuvis, Zumos and newer streetpilots and fully street searchable (where streets are named!).

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:56 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Garmin GPSMAP60Csx
Garmin NUVI 760
Dopod U1000 Mapking
Bro rchan

Thank you for your comments and info regarding your next version of the Vietnam/Laos map. I look forward to its release.

I have been to the website you gave and I also noted that I could get free NZ maps. :tq: :tq: :tq: ! Will download them as I have intention of visiting NZ soon (Still have a house in Mt Albert, Auckland on rentals, but not visited for several years!)

Kind regards

cflai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:10 pm 
V.I.P
V.I.P

cflai wrote:
Bro rchan

Thank you for your comments and info regarding your next version of the Vietnam/Laos map. I look forward to its release.

I have been to the website you gave and I also noted that I could get free NZ maps. :tq: :tq: :tq: ! Will download them as I have intention of visiting NZ soon (Still have a house in Mt Albert, Auckland on rentals, but not visited for several years!)

Kind regards

cflai

cflai

Please don't download those files - they were test files we trialed months ago.

We now have a new workflow - I compile Nuvi type maps every week or so.

Bookmark this thread and look for the latest message with a download link ....

http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=105

This is the latest file

rc wrote:

When you do come, it'll most likely be updated again as our mappers edit maps everyday and I compile them weekly.

If you haven't been to Auckland for a few years- you're in for a surprise - lots of changes.
:D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next