how to DIY map??

Interested in creating your own map? Ask our experienced mappers.

Moderator: Moderators

pulaublakangmati
GPS: 60csx

thx sabre 23t!

#21 Post by pulaublakangmati » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the poor qn, will try to elaborate. I tried tracing out the tracks on mapedit with the polyline tool but couldn't quite get the line to fit the tracks. Is there something I am missing? The track data I used was quite messy, could that have been the cause? If I could slip in another qn, I have been trying for a while to combine the singapore topo map with the m'sia sg map provided on the malsing website. I am using mapset toolkit to combine the 2 maps. First of all, the mapset from malsing has a file name gmapsupp.img. Since mapsettoolkit only recognises numerical filenames, can i simply rename the file for e.g., 01234567.img? Secondly how should I fill out the family id and product code? And what is TYP?:) Really appreciate you taking time to answer qns on the forum, feel free to redirect me to answers on the net.

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

Re: thx sabre 23t!

#22 Post by sabre23t » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:24 am

pulaublakangmati wrote:I tried tracing out the tracks on mapedit with the polyline tool but couldn't quite get the line to fit the tracks. Is there something I am missing? The track data I used was quite messy, could that have been the cause?
Of course that's the cause. All mappers have to contend with messy tracks. We never have perfect tracks all the time. Even when we track with all necessary equipment/settings (external antenna, 1sec tracks log, good receiver), we can't control how much sky view or how many satellites are in the sky at the time.

From experience you know which part of your tracks to be suspicious of and to ignore. Overlay your tracks on GE satellite image, proper offset the image, then see where your tracks diverge from "reality". You'll soon recognize where tracks tends to overshoot corners, where tall buildings (urban canyon) pulls tracks to one side or the other, and symptoms of the receivers losing satellites but not yet telling the GPS logger.

If you are using tracks from others, than you should really do some tracks yourself so that you understand the conditions while tracking, and can translate that to what you see in the tracklogs.

More specific than that, divvy up a sample for comments.

Mmm ... This sample image of my tracks on OSM, shows clearly how I interpret some of my tracks ...
Sample-Klang-BBT-tracks-potlatch-transparent-roads.png
This is a traffic lighted junction in Klang Bandar Baru Bukit Tinggi. It also shows the nice features of thick transparent roads in OSM Potlatch. The reddish road "thickness" is about 10m, which about the width of a two lanes road. So as long as my tracks are within the thickness I'm satisfied. Remember when driving you never are in the middle of the road, especially when you are doing a right turn or U-turn.
pulaublakangmati wrote:Since mapsettoolkit only recognises numerical filenames, can i simply rename the file for e.g., 01234567.img?
I'd suggest you try using ezMS instead of mapsettoolkit. That "easy" MapSource mapset creator program, tries to make it much much easier to create the mapset. See "ezMS" http://antyong.com/?page_id=238 .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The world is MyMaps!

pulaublakangmati
GPS: 60csx

Re: how to DIY map??

#23 Post by pulaublakangmati » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:30 pm

thanks man:) managed to get the tracks sorted out. but still having some questions with regards the combining of mapsets. When i combine the topo map with a another mapset (even with ezMS), some parts the topo details are missing. Do you have any idea why? THanks for the great tips bout the software!!