General chat about GPS technology

Moderator: Moderators

turbosnail
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Vista B&W, Vista HCx

eGPS(enhanced GPS)

#1 Post by turbosnail » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:43 pm

Read about this on numerous usegroups. Hope it is not avaporware. Basically something like A-GPS but helping to assist GPS but using the positioning data of available cellular network.

Read on here: http://www.csr.com/egps/index.htm

nenekochi
GPS: hp6965

Re: eGPS(enhanced GPS)

#2 Post by nenekochi » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi all,

has anybody installed enhanced gps in their garmin set?
I knw samsung (i780, ommia) has this software, and after downloading the data, the gps get it satelite very fast...

thanks all.

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

#3 Post by sabre23t » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:19 am

turbosnail wrote:Read on here: http://www.csr.com/egps/index.htm
Mmm ... Seems from http://www.csr.com/egps/technology.htm eGPS makes use of CellID provided by the handphone telco signals, correlated with database of CellID coordinates to find your location within 1-2km, and generate ephemeris/almanac info that's more specific, so faster satellite acquisition.

It appears to me, this eGPS main benefit is *just* faster satellite acquisition *if* you haven't been using your GPS, *and* your last known location was way out from current location. Not many of us here are in that group right? :mrgreen:

Oh, Google Maps for Mobile http://www.google.com/gmm/ use similar CellID technique to provide location info on handphone *without* GPSr. O:)
The world is MyMaps!

babun
GPS: Garmin Mobile XT Asus P750

#4 Post by babun » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:16 am

is it a software or a gps-chipset?

whis
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Mobile XT

#5 Post by whis » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:05 pm

it can work on Nokia phone?

mygis
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: None

#6 Post by mygis » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:55 pm

Hi,

I have learned a new word today ; "Evapoware" thanks Turbo !

There are a couple of GPS that have the capability to switch from GPS mode to A-GPS mode. As I know, the accuracy is very bad and can go down to about 100 meters which does not make sense (Sabre said 1-3km ; I won't argue much on this since I have not done much reading on the subject :mrgreen: ).

What bothers me however on that website is that the information given is very theoretical and shallow in the sense that they would not give you information about things like :

1. How accurate
2. How fast is the first fix with GPS signal, with weak GPS signal and indoor .

I guess we will have to wait and listen to the industry and the market.

My commercial curiosity of this curiosity resides in the fact that this very important to have, not to know where we are; however, it is for people to know where you are exactly in which building.

Now imagine if you are kidnapped and the kidnappers take you away and keep you in Tabung Haji Building. If you have a tracker that can swicth to A-GPS and someone informs the cops about your location, than you would be either in Tabung haji, or menara PNB or on the road (Jln Tun Razak) :hair: :ko: .... The tracker would not be very useful in this situation. But just imagine if the E-GPS is available, how such chipsets would help in these kind of situations.

Just to share some of my knowledge on this subject, some companies in the market use BPS trackers with beacons to help to pin-point to the location .... But this is going too far. =P~

One addition to the comments. I was testing a SirfIII unit logging data at an interval of 1 second. I have put the small logger inside the booth and it gave this result (OMG !!!)

I hope the E-GPS could help in the future :thumbsup:

Cheers.

angelinalove
GPS: Garmin

#7 Post by angelinalove » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:40 pm

thanks for info I am very curious about eGPS.