General chat about GPS technology

Moderator: Moderators

kiteman
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 10x, Dell X50V, rw6828, Mobile XT

LTA Live Traffic Advisor from East Gear

#1 Post by kiteman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:58 am

Saw the advert from East Gear on today's newspaper regarding LTA Live Traffic advisor. From the small print it seems to be a simple extract of One Motoring website at http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... _news.html

But if this is integrated into either Garmin or Mapking routing, I'll rush down to get a unit.

There were some promises from Mapking/SLA on real time traffic last year but have not seen much progress. Is the Live Traffic advisor the 'product' ?

snappy
Community POI leader
Community POI leader
GPS: Kenwood DNX 7200

Re: LTA Live Traffic Advisor from East Gear

#2 Post by snappy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:31 pm

The T-DMB TPEG traffic and travel information Trial is ongoing at the moment:
http://www.digitalradio.sg/articlespdf/ ... ul2008.pdf
and I'm one of the trial users. Basically they are borrowing Korea's experience on this system for real-time Dynamic Navigation System.

In the beta stage, only live feeds like Traffic Info, roadworks, Traffic Camera snapshots and ERP rates will be shown. Next year they'll try to incorporate the info into maps, and if successful we might see it being implemented in the next 2 years.

For something similar, you can see this LTA's interactive map:
http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... e_map.html

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#3 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:04 pm

Interesting to know how they will integrated SG Traffic Advisor service to a Garmin set or am I missing something when reading their advertisement for Comex show ?

chick
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 255W

LTA Live Traffic Advisor from East Gear

#4 Post by chick » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:32 pm

tropicalfruitz wrote:Text to Speech is a good feature to get. But the traffic advisor is redundant coz it only works in USA and garmin maps.

I'm not sure about east gear as a Garmin authorised dealer. Best is if you ask them directly if they support Garmin international warranty.

Nice to see them promoting garmin products now. Last time they were 'mapking' oriented. Follow the Leader! :thumbsup:
Oh, I thought the brochure states 'Singapore 1st real time traffic advisor (get live traffic info from LTA)'?
Hmmm... so that only works like Garmin's SG/MY map?

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S

Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#5 Post by trajet2b » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:34 pm

chick wrote:Oh, I thought the brochure states 'Singapore 1st real time traffic advisor (get live traffic info from LTA)'?
Hmmm... so that only works like Garmin's SG/MY map?
you better check. the one with LTA traffic info, i think could be the Holux GPSmile.

Note: This post and others with subject "Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?" about "LTA Live Traffic Advisor" were merged here from that thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12080 . -sabre23t 30aug08.

snappy
Community POI leader
Community POI leader
GPS: Kenwood DNX 7200

#6 Post by snappy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:34 pm

From the look of it, think it looks like a software for PDA phones... updated traffic info via GPRS... I may be wrong \:D/

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S

#7 Post by trajet2b » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:38 pm

snappy wrote:From the look of it, think it looks like a software for PDA phones... updated traffic info via GPRS... I may be wrong \:D/
we need to find out more details.right now the ads is a bit vague. as always ads can sometime be misleading. may work for a certain model only so do not assume.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#8 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:40 pm

There is nothing on their brochure that mentions that it is for PDA ..... it is smack next to the Garmin sets and touted as a free gift .... so what is the conclusion ....... :ko:

kiteman
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 10x, Dell X50V, rw6828, Mobile XT

#9 Post by kiteman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Don't think it's for Garmin range as in order to get live feed, you will need either wireless or GPRS. In any case you can always get info from one motoring web site through GPRS on PDA or phone., or via any of the Mobile Broadband. I think via SMS as well.

It will only be useful when it's integrated with the routing.

May drop by East Gear booth to check it out but first must get live feed of traffic condition at Suntec before I set off.... :ko:

taipan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nokia, iPhone, Garmin and up to 10 Hz NMEA driven. Lastest Nuvi 2565LM with GDR10.

#10 Post by taipan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:07 am

Essentially, the current trials involve the porting of LTA's traffic information available on their website via GPRS into PDA/Phone equipped Mapking. There are plans to launch something more useful but this is not quite really yet, THBOMK. The idea behind this was to help users plan their route and avoid traffic jams and even usage cost, where possible.