Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:20 pm 

GPS: garmin gpsmap 60csx
Hi all,

I understand Garmin sells refurbished Gps's. Is there anyway to identify if a unit is a refurbished unit or an ori new unit?

:thumbsup:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:24 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
Only Garmin has the database of refurbished units. Physical appearance alone does not give much clue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:48 pm 

GPS: garmin gpsmap 60csx
how about unit id's , etc....

Thanks mate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:03 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
nadir wrote:
how about unit id's , etc....

Thanks mate

What good can a unit ID tell you if you do not have a database of NEW vs Re-Furbish units to reference off :-? ](*,)

And IMHO, Garmin has no reason to make this database public :-'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:29 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

GPS: Handheld, PDA Based
nadir wrote:
Hi all,

I understand Garmin sells refurbished Gps's. Is there anyway to identify if a unit is a refurbished unit or an ori new unit?

:thumbsup:

Not sure how this will help, if you haven't actually purchased the unit. You can try to register the unit's serial online (https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/marketing/register.htm). Some (/most?) refurbished units have already been pre-registered (by the previous owners).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:08 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
nadir wrote:
Hi all,
I understand Garmin sells refurbished Gps's. Is there anyway to identify if a unit is a refurbished unit or an ori new unit? :thumbsup:

What brudder Dvpro indicated is correct but try starting by sniffing its smell... :mrgreen: :-$

This ongoing and primary concern is already fading... since the days of recyclable items took centre stage with equal results and cost-cutting for many manufacturers on their global items.

A small example... the plastic bags you happily use for your groceries is but one concern at one time but its now a household fear all gone and dissipated with the exception of Ireland...

With hardware units that appears looking just as good as showroom models and be given a new lease of life whilst most ppl accept the fact that such things are soon to be replaced within a spate of some years... the concern about refurbished goods plays no significance anymore these days. If it doesn't perform as the guarantee assures it... there's the (limited) guarantee to take care of it. :thumbsup:

However, a refurbished item would normally cost somewhat lesser and most ppl prefer to pay lesser than be over-sick with the "refurbish" thought in general...

I wouldn't worry too much these days abt suspected refurbish items so long as the item does not emit a foul-smelling odour like you get from waste deposit dumps.

Best case & safe scenario... is to get the latest of everything that is not older than 9 months on the market... and simply pay more with a :mrgreen: for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:23 am 

GPS: nuvi205W, nuvi765
Check the FAQ from Garmin website:

Q: How do I identify Newly Overhauled or Refurbished products?
A: We note these products on our site with the words 'Newly Overhauled'
or 'Refurbished'. When you see the 'Newly Overhauled' or 'Refurbished' words, you
know you're in for a great deal on a fantastic product!

Q: Will Newly Overhauled or Refurbished products come in different packaging?

A: By law, product packaging must state if an item is newly overhauled or refurbished.
Consequently, some items will arrive in a regular retail box with a sticker indicating
that the item is newly overhauled, refurbished, reconditioned, or factory-serviced, or
may come repackaged in a plain white box. Enclosed manuals may refer to
accessories (carry cases, data cards, or transducers, for example) that are not
included with the newly overhauled, refurbished or reconditioned product. Be sure to
read over the product information page on our site for a list of accessories included
with newly overhauled or refurbished products.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:03 am 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
Caveat emptor should be practice before buying. Buying from a reputed shop with honest sales personnel is one thing, but you have many others that don't have such practices .... :-'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:11 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
Blamed users like us.... those who kept all the original boxes, packing material and documents of our purchases. The unit is handled like gold and single scratch moan for weeks. These are the units when in the hands of dishonest resellers that can cause this problem.

There must be some data inside the diagnostics menu that only Garmin can clear (non user resettable - Like battery charge cycles?). Let's search for it...to help others... cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:36 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
moeyHC wrote:
There must be some data inside the diagnostics menu that only Garmin can clear (non user resettable - Like battery charge cycles?). Let's search for it...to help others... cheers!

A vain and counter-productive effort/search equalled to a needle in a haystack. A more reliable and effective implementation would be one that comes with a seal thats digitalized and kinda embossed somewhere onto the unit and remains non reversible. Once removed as required/necessary for user to put it into service, it renders its original/authentic state as a used item regardless of its prestine/showroom outlook. :mrgreen:

Batteries as they are... would come with a Disclaimer, and thats obvious seeing the nature of their limited lifespan.