Moderator: Moderators

tlchuan
Junior Mapper
GPS: 10x, Oregon 300, 255w(retire) 2575RLM

Re: For First-Time Visitors (The FAQ of all FAQs!) UPDATED 2

#441 Post by tlchuan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:35 am

fuad7393 wrote:hi dvpro,
just want to check. My garmin nuvi 205 last update 2009. :oops:
If I want to get the latest map, what is the procedure? Where can i get the latest map?Please help, :rokz:
just click here for download http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5M03R1X9 unzip and copy it to your garmin folder ,

remember to backup your old gmapsupp.img files
Ham Callsign = 9W2KDX
http://9w2kdx.blogspot.com/
Now In Subang Jaya

zeusky
GPS: nil

#442 Post by zeusky » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:25 am

tlchuan wrote:
just click here for download http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5M03R1X9 unzip and copy it to your garmin folder ,

remember to backup your old gmapsupp.img files

im wondering how could I backup the old gmapsupp.img where i cant find it in Garmin folder?

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#443 Post by dvpro » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:41 am

If there is GMAPSUPP.IMG installed, it should be available at \Garmin folder, either in Nuvi's internal memory or Nuvi's memory card. If there is no GMAPSUPP.IMG file in any of the folders, that means Nuvi is not yet installed with a supplementary map @ GMAPSUPP.IMG (by default Nuvis do not come with a supplementary map).
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

zeusky
GPS: nil

#444 Post by zeusky » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:36 am

dvpro wrote:If there is GMAPSUPP.IMG installed, it should be available at \Garmin folder, either in Nuvi's internal memory or Nuvi's memory card. If there is no GMAPSUPP.IMG file in any of the folders, that means Nuvi is not yet installed with a supplementary map @ GMAPSUPP.IMG (by default Nuvis do not come with a supplementary map).
the internal memory is left with only 100MB+ space. is there a way to remove the original file? and take gmapsupp.img as the main map?

does this means that every not localised garmin would be needing a supp map?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#445 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:29 am

zeusky wrote:I just bought one 1350T from US.

i go SG's site to download the NT 2010.20 map and it appears to be an installer. when I plugged in my garmin and it stated not enough disk space. will the installer upload the map straight to my micro sd without seperating them (eg: 100mb in internal memory and remaining 650mb in micro sd)?

One weird thing i realised is that I couldnt find the garmin's web in nuvi:/garmin/ folder. I couldnt find the original map (US map) and delete/backup.

please guide me through this. thanks! :tq:

For Nuvi 1350T, the maps are located in Main Memory/system.
( This is a hidden folder thus you will need to edit your PC / Notebook file settings to display hidden folders, as by default this is set to "hidden" )

The preloaded map when you bought the Nuvi, in your case, the US Continent Map is usually gmapprom.img

User has the option of loading his/her own maps into MainMemory/Map or SD Card/Map.
Take note that by default, this directory is non-existent in Nuvi so you have to create it. You can put any Garmin compiled gmapsupp.img and put it in here and rename it to whatever name you want to give it.

My suggestion is not to move or delete the preloaded map in main memory but to put all your supplementary maps into SD card /Map. This way if your own maps are corrupted or loaded incorrectly, it will not hand the Nuvi. Just remove the SD card and offending map.

sk100sk
GPS: nuvi 205w version 4.60

#446 Post by sk100sk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:06 pm

dvpro wrote:If there is GMAPSUPP.IMG installed, it should be available at \Garmin folder, either in Nuvi's internal memory or Nuvi's memory card. If there is no GMAPSUPP.IMG file in any of the folders, that means Nuvi is not yet installed with a supplementary map @ GMAPSUPP.IMG (by default Nuvis do not come with a supplementary map).
Hi Im a newbie as well trying to get the latest updates for maps ,
Dvdpro u mention that get the raya map want is that the latest ? im a bit confuse

You also mension that \garmin folder internal memory or memory sd card to be replace with gmapsupp.img (the raya version) i have this on both the \garmin folder internal memory and in the memory sd card , which should take pirority ? or which do i delete

anyway on my map info it says this:
malfreemaps v1.68
MFM poi v1.68
MFM road Poi v.168

and also City navigator North America NT 2009

where else on my About info it says this
nuvi 205w software version 4.60
audi version 2.30
GPS SW version: 255b

so do i have the latest map for Malaysia singapore and bruinei or have i mess up some where...

thank you for help

KS

orgsyn
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 205w and 2465

#447 Post by orgsyn » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:16 pm

sk100sk wrote: anyway on my map info it says this:
malfreemaps v1.68
MFM poi v1.68
MFM road Poi v.168

so do i have the latest map for Malaysia singapore and bruinei or have i mess up some where...
Unfortunately that is from July last year and is from the other mapping community, malfreemaps. The current malsingmaps (this forum) version is here http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 02#p180602 whilst the malfreemaps version is at http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8442

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#448 Post by dvpro » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:23 pm

sk100sk wrote:Hi Im a newbie as well trying to get the latest updates for maps ,
Dvdpro u mention that get the raya map want is that the latest ? im a bit confuse
Yes, MSM ALL Raya Edition is currently the latest version. The one installed in your Nuvi is not MSM map, but Malfreemaps (MFM) map which is another map developed by similar mapping enthusiasts like MSM.
sk100sk wrote:You also mension that \garmin folder internal memory or memory sd card to be replace with gmapsupp.img (the raya version) i have this on both the \garmin folder internal memory and in the memory sd card , which should take pirority ? or which do i delete
No need to delete anything as long as both GMAPSUPP.IMG files are different maps, ie. MSM's GMAPSUPP.IMG in Nuvi and MFM's GMAPSUPP.IMG in data card. As such, make sure you do not have 2 versions of the same map installed.
sk100sk wrote:so do i have the latest map for Malaysia singapore and bruinei or have i mess up some where...
Latest map for MSM is the Raya Edition. As for MFM map, the one installed in your Nuvi is quite old. As mentioned, you can have both maps installed in Nuvi. However make sure that only 1 mapset (may contain several maps) is enabled at Nuvi's Map Info.

sosia1
GPS: Garmin

#449 Post by sosia1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:53 am

all,

i'm a newbie here. I would to add Australia map and thailand map on my GPS, i notice that there are thread for those map in MSM.com, but i would like to know ho to installed to my Garmin GPS (nuvi 1250). thanks

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#450 Post by dvpro » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:05 pm

For newer Nuvis like Nuvi1xxx series it's possible to install multiple IMG map files. Just create MAP folder at the root directory of either Nuvi or data card and store all IMG map files within that folder. Moreover the IMG map files can use any name, ie. Australia.img, Thailand.img, etc. Thereafter, installed maps can be disabled/enabled at Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info.