General chat about GPS technology

Moderator: Moderators

miezarnd
Senior Mapper
GPS: Yang dalam kereta punya
https://goo.gl/XBdH3k

Re: For First-Time Visitors (The FAQ of all FAQs!) UPDATED 2

#711 Post by miezarnd » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:32 pm

penjarapudu wrote:Hi.... im using Garmin Nuvi 1250...

Any online store to buy a good and real data cable to connect my pc and my gps? when i use the ordinary cable my pc cannot detect the gps..

thank you
Did your device show USB mode or just normal GPS GUI when you connect to PC?
Temerloh - Sekinchan - Sg. Puyu = 7
2575LM / 3790 / 4592LM / GPSMAP 64s / Montana 650
Jalan-jalan cari makan

alexongsc
GPS: Garmin Nuvi

#712 Post by alexongsc » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi
I've the same issue. I cannot update my maps and i wanna use Garmin express but it couldn't detect my GPS Garmin 4592LM. It shows the same GUI on the screen as when u r using the GPS. only on the bottom right corner it showed briefly connected as media device.

I tried using the gamin's app that has a download centre to download the map update wirelessly but it says download failed. I used the Garmin Singapore official page to update the map and i click on the blue link of my Garmin GPS model and it lead me to a page to download Garmin Updater for Mac as i'm using a Mac.

All failed. Is it due to my cable as i couldn't find the cable that came with the GPS so i used the xiaomi power bank cable to my Mac, as well as a Samsung mobile phone cable and it still couldn't work as i suspected the xiaomi USB cable not able to transfer data, but the samsung cable didn't work as well.

How do i update my maps now, anyone please help??

Thanks

miezarnd
Senior Mapper

#713 Post by miezarnd » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:21 pm

alexongsc wrote:Hi
I've the same issue. I cannot update my maps and i wanna use Garmin express but it couldn't detect my GPS Garmin 4592LM. It shows the same GUI on the screen as when u r using the GPS. only on the bottom right corner it showed briefly connected as media device.
- 4592LM is based on Android OS, so you Mac will connect as a media device. I hv no experience using Mac, but on Windows, the launcher.exe downloaded from garmin SG need to run as administrator, so that the app can read/write to the device. No selection for USB, it just show normal GPS GUI.

I tried using the gamin's app that has a download centre to download the map update wirelessly but it says download failed. I used the Garmin Singapore official page to update the map and i click on the blue link of my Garmin GPS model and it lead me to a page to download Garmin Updater for Mac as i'm using a Mac.
- Please go to Download Center and check for software update first. If you have MicroSD in the device, try to remove it first before continue the update.

All failed. Is it due to my cable as i couldn't find the cable that came with the GPS so i used the xiaomi power bank cable to my Mac, as well as a Samsung mobile phone cable and it still couldn't work as i suspected the xiaomi USB cable not able to transfer data, but the samsung cable didn't work as well.
- try to use another cable... hehehe

How do i update my maps now, anyone please help??

Thanks
The above is based on my experience using 4592LM. I also unable to update the map regardless what method until I update the device software first.
Jalan-jalan cari makan

alexongsc

#714 Post by alexongsc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi thanks for reply. Cannot do over the air update. Brought my Harmon down to perfect watch and the lady is nice enough to update for me.

alexongsc

#715 Post by alexongsc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:52 pm

*harmon* Garmin

andyjklim9113
GPS: Garmin Nuvi205

#716 Post by andyjklim9113 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Hello Sifus, please can I know where can I update my nuvi205? Can I still update my device?
my last map update was 2012... Regards.

miezarnd
Senior Mapper

#717 Post by miezarnd » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:13 pm

andyjklim9113 wrote:Hello Sifus, please can I know where can I update my nuvi205? Can I still update my device?
my last map update was 2012... Regards.
Hi andyjklim9113,

As for nuvi 205, you can download the latest map gmapsupp_v763.zip from here. Pls unzip the file and copy to your device. Pls ignore the product.jcv file coz your unit not support it.
Jalan-jalan cari makan

dak3277
GPS: online

#718 Post by dak3277 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:51 am

Ive got nuvi 1250 for rm100 and thinking to update using free map. display USB storage only when connect to laptop (pic). already have USBDrivers_2311, GarminExpressInstaller and gmapsupp_768 and it says software verion 250 in GarminDevice XML

any advice how to start update this oldskool device?stay at jb n plan to navigate in SG also.

Thanks
Attachments
nuvi 1250.PNG

sablimator
GPS: Nuvi 2565, GPSMAP 62sc

#719 Post by sablimator » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:46 pm

dak3277 wrote:Ive got nuvi 1250 for rm100 and thinking to update using free map. display USB storage only when connect to laptop (pic). already have USBDrivers_2311, GarminExpressInstaller and gmapsupp_768 and it says software verion 250 in GarminDevice XML

any advice how to start update this oldskool device?stay at jb n plan to navigate in SG also.

Thanks
I would suggest you use SD Card to install 7.68 map & create garmin folder on your SD. Extract gmapsupp_768.zip to your desktop. Copy gmapsupp.img to "SDcard:\Garmin\" folder. Ignore the product.jcv file since this model not support junction view function (if I'm not mistaken).

Disconnect your device from PC. Restart your GPS, go to Tools -> Setting -> Map -> Map Info and select MSM NT 7.68 to load it to your device memory.

cyanide24
GPS: Nuvi 205W

#720 Post by cyanide24 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:50 am

Hi, I just updated my Nuvi 205w with MSM 7.69 recently.
However, I noticed that directions usually just bring me to the road (or centre of road) instead of the exact address.
For eg, I searched for directions to 25 Pandan Crescent (not using postal code). The directions brought me to Pandan Crescent, but not the exact address.
This is annoying, esp for very long roads.

Is it a limitation of MSM?
I recalled that the official Garmin map allows directions to exact addresses.

Thanks.