Jambatan Kedua Pulau Pinang

General chat about GPS technology

Moderator: Moderators

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

Jambatan Kedua Pulau Pinang

#1 Post by adilothman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Tracked and mapped and ready to rock in the next map release! Officially opens to traffic this coming 1 March 2014.

Some interesting factoids :

1. Signature half crescent toll plaza which will serve as an integrated toll plaza capturing traffic from North South Highway as a one-stop plaza to pay for NSE segment and toll for the bridge. Cassia and Bukit Kawan traffic will only pay the for NSE segment only.

2. There is an elevated segment for ships to pass - but as Uncle Jason will attest, no commercial ship will ever ever navigate underneath the first or the second Penang Bridge.

3. Like the other bridge, you pay going to the Island only.

4. Toll rate is expected to be below RM10..

Enjoy.
Attachments
p2xbk.jpg
Mainland side.
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

BanBan
Qualified Mapper
GPS: 60CS, Unbranded MCX ext. antenna, Nuvi 1460, 2565.

Re: Jambatan Kedua Pulau Pinang

#2 Post by BanBan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:12 am

Great stuff Adil. On record we have mapped the bridge before it is opened to the public.

That part in No.2 was usually refered to as the Main Span during construction. That is the longest unsupported span of the bridge that is held up by cable stay method. I don't know what is is going to be called publicly.
"Aha! Papa got a new toy!" - BanBan (My 3 yr old daughter)

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#3 Post by jasonlee » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:56 am

BanBan wrote:Great stuff Adil. On record we have mapped the bridge before it is opened to the public.

That part in No.2 was usually refered to as the Main Span during construction. That is the longest unsupported span of the bridge that is held up by cable stay method. I don't know what is is going to be called publicly.
Must have added a lot of cost to the bridge and it is an even greater waste if the feature is never going to be used.
Lean not on your own understanding

BanBan
Qualified Mapper
GPS: 60CS, Unbranded MCX ext. antenna, Nuvi 1460, 2565.

#4 Post by BanBan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:13 pm

I doubt if one of those Maersk container ships want to bother going under the bridge. It is not a necessity for them to take that route. But there are many smaller water vessels like barges and so on that can save time or have to go under the bridge. Thus the navigational span is a must. For this bridge 150 metres navigation width is allowed for. The pier foundation is also designed to take some knocks from water vessels.
"Aha! Papa got a new toy!" - BanBan (My 3 yr old daughter)

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#5 Post by jasonlee » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:14 am

BanBan wrote:I doubt if one of those Maersk container ships want to bother going under the bridge. It is not a necessity for them to take that route. But there are many smaller water vessels like barges and so on that can save time or have to go under the bridge. Thus the navigational span is a must. For this bridge 150 metres navigation width is allowed for. The pier foundation is also designed to take some knocks from water vessels.
Dear Brother,

It saves about 12 hours to come and leave to the port via the South Channel instead of North Channel as the ships can only sail at high tide and I have been monitoring since 1985 when the first bridge was opened and NOT A SINGLE COMMERCIAL SHIP has ever sailed under the bridge.

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#6 Post by bartmp8 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:01 pm

jasonlee wrote: Dear Brother,

It saves about 12 hours to come and leave to the port via the South Channel instead of North Channel as the ships can only sail at high tide and I have been monitoring since 1985 when the first bridge was opened and NOT A SINGLE COMMERCIAL SHIP has ever sailed under the bridge.
Asked 90 years ago why he wanted to climb Mount Everest, British climber George Mallory famously replied,
"Because it's there."

Bro Jason, looks like Penang has not met the right Captain yet :-'

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#7 Post by jasonlee » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:59 pm

bartmp8 wrote: Asked 90 years ago why he wanted to climb Mount Everest, British climber George Mallory famously replied,
"Because it's there."

Bro Jason, looks like Penang has not met the right Captain yet :-'
Dear Bro Bartmp8,

I don't know and I do not wish to paint myself into a corner so I shall not continue in this thread after this post.

Bro Banban is right from his theoretical knowledge but I was highlighting from experience, observation and insider info. Which commercial company would not want to save 12 hours? Isn't time money?