General chat about GPS technology

Moderator: Moderators

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
GPS: SIRFstar III

Re: GPS in CBU vehicle & GPS in Proton

#21 Post by wsian » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:50 pm

Caught in the road block because of using "illegal" map? This must be joke of 2007.

You don't have to threaten other to comfort yourself what you have purchased worth the value.

bluetrax
GPS: garmin 60csx

#22 Post by bluetrax » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:08 pm

hello,

m personally not too concerned with the legality of the maps but more with using the gps set when riding (motorcycle) or driving. often we fiddle with the buttons n take our eyes off the road to check the screen. if stopped by a cop, can i be booked for driving without due care (just like using a handphone when driving) ?. and with that nuvi 200W coloured screen smack right in front of me on the dash board, how to explain ?. #-o

mmmx
GPS: Quest

#23 Post by mmmx » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:27 pm

wsian wrote:Caught in the road block because of using "illegal" map? This must be joke of 2007.

You don't have to threaten other to comfort yourself what you have purchased worth the value.
Ha Ha , Funny tho', Part of my hobbies is to use and play the GPS gadgets in the malaysian market, how to comfort myself what I have purchased worth the value, in fact, I do own most of them.

mmmx

#24 Post by mmmx » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:31 pm

bluetrax wrote:hello,
m personally not too concerned with the legality of the maps but more with using the gps set when riding (motorcycle) or driving. often we fiddle with the buttons n take our eyes off the road to check the screen. if stopped by a cop, can i be booked for driving without due care (just like using a handphone when driving) ?. and with that nuvi 200W coloured screen smack right in front of me on the dash board, how to explain ?. #-o
Perhaps this "Correct! Correct! Correct! Correct! Ya! Ya! Ya!" lawyer in Malaysia can explain this matter better.

sunn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: HP6515, HP4150+GSpace BT Gpsr, Etrex Legend Hcx, Omnia SGH-i900

#25 Post by sunn » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:33 pm

mmmx wrote:
wsian wrote:Caught in the road block because of using "illegal" map? This must be joke of 2007.

Ha Ha , Funny tho', Part of my hobbies is to use and play the GPS gadgets in the malaysian market, how to comfort myself what I have purchased worth the value, in fact, I do own most of them.
In that case, Caught with too many gadgets in your car :lol:
- sunn -

mmmx

#26 Post by mmmx » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:39 pm

sunn wrote: In that case, Caught with too many gadgets in your car :lol:
No, bought and sold most of them to frens. Frens got caught :lol:

mike63
GPS: Colorado 300, NUVI 760

#27 Post by mike63 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:29 pm

mmmx wrote:This is to share my experience in GPS.

I brought several units of Garmin back in 4 years ago, much much older than this website, Mysubaruclub's website... and so forth.

In those days, I paid off the custom guy to clear my GPS unit at KLIA since he was clueless about GPS.

Using the GPS on the road was much of a hassle. whenever there is a Police Road Blocks, I need to hide the GPS unit under the glove compartment so as to avoid more problems with the Police.

Ppl if you do not want to repeat what i did some years, my advise is buy GPS unit which comes with legal maps. It may not necessary be Mynavi, it can be any brand

Hide GPS when police road block??? This must be the joke of the century. I've never heard of anybody got caught with GPS. You think the police will screen each and every car for GPS device???

garble
GPS: NUVI 200

#28 Post by garble » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm

mike63 wrote:
Hide GPS when police road block??? This must be the joke of the century. I've never heard of anybody got caught with GPS. You think the police will screen each and every car for GPS device???
Funny it may seem.

I was once stopped by a cop in PJ. He tried to enquire what I placed on my dash board. I said it is GPS Nuvi 200. He asked whether I have any license for the devise, asking this and that (Local terms: 'carry makan". To cut short the conversation, i have to forked out 20 ringgit. No sure anyone has a similar encounter.

Perhaps, I should send this bill to Malsingmaps or who ever think this ia a joke.

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#29 Post by dvpro » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:07 pm

garble wrote:...
To cut short the conversation, i have to forked out 20 ringgit. No sure anyone has a similar encounter.

Perhaps, I should send this bill to Malsingmaps or who ever think this ia a joke.
The cop was enquiring your use of your GPS device, not the maps. :nehneh:

Anyway, if you had used Garmin maps, would you send the bill to Garmin then?

Or, the next time a cop pulled you over for using your HP while driving, perhaps you should send the bill to Maxis / Celcom / Digi. =D>
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

garble
GPS: NUVI 200

#30 Post by garble » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:20 pm

dvpro wrote:
garble wrote:...
The cop was enquiring your use of your GPS device, not the maps. :nehneh:

Anyway, if you had used Garmin maps, would you send the bill to Garmin then?

Or, the next time a cop pulled you over for using your HP while driving, perhaps you should send the bill to Maxis / Celcom / Digi. =D>

Send to whoever I can retrieve my money