Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:08 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Present: Nuvi 660, Oregon 300 & Zumo 550

Past: 60CSx, Nuvi 200, Nuvi 710, Vista HCx, CO 300
\:D/ \:D/ done it successfully on my friend's iMac... it looks GREAT on his 24" screen... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: now i m green with envy!!

thanks bro feis for highlighting the possibility.
now... time to save up and get a 24" iMac!!! :thumbsup:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:31 am 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200
wah it's a really good news.

but there's 1 more problem for mac user (like me). to unlock the codes, we have to give contribution based on the LOCKED map, such as GM-MySinv215.exe, right? so the thing is, the file downloaded is in exe format, can't run on mac.

is there anyway we can download the malsing map in mac's dmg or at least zip format?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:04 am 
Councillor
Councillor

GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android
cahoy wrote:
but there's 1 more problem for mac user (like me). to unlock the codes, we have to give contribution based on the LOCKED map, such as GM-MySinv215.exe, right? so the thing is, the file downloaded is in exe format, can't run on mac.

Mmm ... So how do you install maps in Garmin Bobcat on OS X? Since GM-MySinv215.exe (locked) doesn't run on Mac, GM-MySin.exe (open) version also won't run, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:45 am 
Junior Mapper

GPS: Nüvi 360, Nüvi 200, 60CSx
sabre23t wrote:
Mmm ... So how do you install maps in Garmin Bobcat on OS X? Since GM-MySinv215.exe (locked) doesn't run on Mac, GM-MySin.exe (open) version also won't run, right?

I take it that this is a genuine question. Currently, you will still need PC to convert the maps in your PC into mac format. Then use Mapinstall in Mac to put it in Bobcat. There is also an option to download from GPSr but I'm not sure if you can download maps from GPSr.

Anyway, for those with GPSr and "Mac only" who need to install & unlock GM-MySinv215.exe, I can do it for you and send you the gmasupp.img. Just send me your unlock code you received from mapper. Don't worry. The unlock code can only be used with your GPSr ID. You don't even need to tell me you GPsr ID.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:22 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

feis wrote:
sabre23t wrote:
So how do you install maps in Garmin Bobcat on OS X?
Currently, you will still need PC to convert the maps in your PC into mac format. Then use Mapinstall in Mac to put it in Bobcat.
Thanks, feis. I don't have a Mac. It's Cahoy who use Mac and have problem with unlocking our Malsing maps.
feis wrote:
Anyway, for those with GPSr and "Mac only" who need to install & unlock GM-MySinv215.exe, I can do it for you and send you the gmasupp.img. Just send me your unlock code you received from mapper ... don't even need to tell me you GPsr ID.
I make note of your kind offer Feis, if any other "Mac only" users are in the same boat as Cahoy.

Just wondering, how does Garmin Bobcat handles the following maps ...
(1) [IMG] All-in-one Malsingmaps June 2007 GMAPSUPP (Free)
(2) [Mapsource] GM-MySin June 2007 Installer (Free)
(3) [Mapsource] GM-MySin Installer (Locked) (viewing in Mapsource doesn't require unlock code)

Can a "Mac Only" user install the maps above in Garmin Bobcat without assistance of a Windows user? (I guess the answer is no)

What "convert the maps in your PC into mac format" need to be done to the above maps, to allow "Mac Only" user of Garmin Bobcat to use it?

Googling "garmin bobcat install map" found me http://www.gpsreview.net/garmin-bobcat/ that seems to say ...
* map data must be converted from PC format to MAC format before MapManager can do anything with it. MapManager will not install the maps to the Garmin unit Garmin MapInstall does that. It will install the Map data from the CNNANT v2008 to a Garmin GPS. All other Garmin map products must be installed on a PC then converted before they can be used on a Macintosh.
* GARMIN SAYS that all new map releases will be Mac Compatible and you can then load them without a PC, they are pretty clear they are not going back to old versions and updating them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:53 pm 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200
hi sabre23t,

seems very few ppl that are purely run on mac, and -trying- to use malsingmap :shock: .

(1) [IMG] All-in-one Malsingmaps June 2007 GMAPSUPP (Free)
-> it's img file, while bobcat only read gdb and gpx.

(2) [Mapsource] GM-MySin June 2007 Installer (Free)
-> downloaded as exe file, totally can't run

(3) [Mapsource] GM-MySin Installer (Locked) (viewing in Mapsource doesn't require unlock code)
-> same, downloaded as exe file.

been searching for days, I dont find anything like a tool to "convert the map from PC to Mac format". so for me, I can only play with the free map from garmin website, US Basemap v2. must wait for quite some time I guess, before this whole thing become mac-friendly.

or you have any idea for work-around?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:48 am 
Junior Mapper

There is a workaround. Refer to my offer. I can then send you the .gmapi file and the gmapsupp.img file. When Garmin release Mac compatible maps then we can have a look and discuss if it's possible for malsingmaps to release that format. Even if it's possible, it will be up to the mappers to decide if they want to release in that format.

Will try to steal some time to put in the procedure on how to convert the map. Hopefully by this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:27 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Present: Nuvi 660, Oregon 300 & Zumo 550

Past: 60CSx, Nuvi 200, Nuvi 710, Vista HCx, CO 300
feis wrote:
Will try to steal some time to put in the procedure on how to convert the map. Hopefully by this weekend.

feis,
Garmin has done this ady... and i think its straight forward enuf to understand.
Thanks for the generous offer to upload, write process etc. you're a gem! :mrgreen:

Attachments:
MapSource_MigratingGarminMapProductsfromWindowstoMacComputers.pdf [36.8 KiB]
Downloaded 258 times

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:11 am 
Junior Mapper

pajero wrote:

feis,
Garmin has done this ady... and i think its straight forward enuf to understand.
Thanks for the generous offer to upload, write process etc. you're a gem! :mrgreen:

Didn't see that. The case of not RTFM properly. Hahaha. Thanks for pointing that out.

In that case, Malsingmaps mappers can just put in the zip file containing the .gmapi for installing on Bobcat. However, to get a proper Malsingmaps unlocked for GPSr, PC is still needed. Unless we can do it with WINE on OS X. That is already way past my level of competency.
:ko:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:50 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

pajero wrote:

Pajero thanks for said "MapSource_MigratingGarminMapProductsfromWindowstoMacComputers.pdf" now it's much clearer to me the state of affair for Mac only, Garmin Bobcat users. They need a Windows user to run MapConverter on the PC that will convert maps already installed in Mapsource, into .TGZ/GMAPI file that will be used by MapManager running on the Mac to install into Bobcat.

Hence, converting "[Mapsource] GM-MySin June 2007 Installer (Free)" into TGZ/GMAPI can be easily done for use of Mac only Garmin Bobcat users. Right, feis? ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next