Re: Garmin Bobcat - Mapsource equivalent for Mac Os X

#31 Post by pajero » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:17 pm

also check out the same topic at...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5900

JackRussell
GPS: Garmin 276C, Nuvi 710

Re: Garmin & Mac can now play together on OS X : Garmin Bobcat

#32 Post by JackRussell » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:23 am

feis wrote:Parallels Desktop is about RM339 or around that. You can buy online (http://www.parallels.com) for USD79 or USD99 depending on version. You can try it for the first 30 days, IIRC.

I have tried to post the .tgz/.gmapi file of the previous and latest version of malsingmaps here but has not been successful. I did succeed when sending it via gmail direct to requestor. Note that gmail can be used to send/receive files up to 20MB.

If you think Parallel Desktop will solve your problem, you are wrong. I am a Mac user with Parallel Desktop. There is some compatibility issues with Parallel Desktop detecting the GSP via the USB port. If you are using the Nuvi (mine is a Nuvi 710), when OSX disconnects the USB to handover to Parallel Desktop, the Nuvi shuts down. If you are using older models like I have a Garmin 276C, it keeps on saying that the device is in use. Apparently the problem also the same with VMWare.

Either you use a Windows machine and wait for the full release of Mapsource for OS X, or you can try using Bootcamp for windows on a Mac.

sulphur
VC, Muster of Events
VC, Muster of Events
GPS: Nuvi 360T
Nuvi 200
Colorado 300
eTrex Vista Hcx
SureshotGPS

Garmin & Mac can now play together on OS X : Garmin Bobcat

#33 Post by sulphur » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32 am

Bobcat is just part of what MapSource can do. Basically, it allows you to mark waypoints, view/store tracks & routes. You still need PC to convert maps and then transfer maps to Mac. (Depend on the sizes of your maps, you might gone thru hours process to convert your PC maps to Mac maps) Then use other programs to load them onto Bobcat thru Map.

Comparing to MapSource, it will be frustrated if you want to use the same features in Mapsource to manage your waypoints, tracks, routes, etc. to manage your maps. IMHO, what is the point of using Bobcat if you must have access to the PC. It is kind of useless because you can't use your maps as you still need a PC to convert them for use on the Mac.

Just to view maps in Bobcat, you need Mapconverter (PC based) and MapManager (MacOSX) to convert tgz to gmapi. Life is always difficult for mac user unless you switch to Tom Tom!!

But hey, it is still beta and I have yet to try 2.0.0.3 released Mar 19th....
A member of Ponkaquogue Municipal Golf Links since 1984

tsechien
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 660, Nokia E61i running GXT with a 10X and GPSMAP 76CS (and a old Garmin GPS40)

#34 Post by tsechien » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:55 am

JackRussell wrote:
feis wrote:Parallels Desktop is about RM339 or around that. You can buy online (http://www.parallels.com) for USD79 or USD99 depending on version. You can try it for the first 30 days, IIRC.

I have tried to post the .tgz/.gmapi file of the previous and latest version of malsingmaps here but has not been successful. I did succeed when sending it via gmail direct to requestor. Note that gmail can be used to send/receive files up to 20MB.

If you think Parallel Desktop will solve your problem, you are wrong. I am a Mac user with Parallel Desktop. There is some compatibility issues with Parallel Desktop detecting the GSP via the USB port. If you are using the Nuvi (mine is a Nuvi 710), when OSX disconnects the USB to handover to Parallel Desktop, the Nuvi shuts down. If you are using older models like I have a Garmin 276C, it keeps on saying that the device is in use. Apparently the problem also the same with VMWare.

Either you use a Windows machine and wait for the full release of Mapsource for OS X, or you can try using Bootcamp for windows on a Mac.
I am running MacOSX Leopard 10.5.2 with Parallels Ver 3.0 Build 5582 5th Dec 2007 and it has no issues detecting my Nuvi 660 and the older GPSMAP 76CS via a USB connection. I can upload maps & download waypoints in Mapsource running in WinXP under Parallels.

You just gotta make sure that the GPS devices are set to be recognised - Edit/Virtual Machine and the Config Editor box pops up. Click on USB Controller and enable it to connect to GuestOS.

Also make sure that the Parallels is updated to the latest version available. There is a later update on Parallels (build 5584) after the one I am currently running.

chien
Garmin User Since 1992

tsechien
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 660, Nokia E61i running GXT with a 10X and GPSMAP 76CS (and a old Garmin GPS40)

#35 Post by tsechien » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 am

sulphur wrote:Bobcat is just part of what MapSource can do. Basically, it allows you to mark waypoints, view/store tracks & routes. You still need PC to convert maps and then transfer maps to Mac. (Depend on the sizes of your maps, you might gone thru hours process to convert your PC maps to Mac maps) Then use other programs to load them onto Bobcat thru Map.

Comparing to MapSource, it will be frustrated if you want to use the same features in Mapsource to manage your waypoints, tracks, routes, etc. to manage your maps. IMHO, what is the point of using Bobcat if you must have access to the PC. It is kind of useless because you can't use your maps as you still need a PC to convert them for use on the Mac.

Just to view maps in Bobcat, you need Mapconverter (PC based) and MapManager (MacOSX) to convert tgz to gmapi. Life is always difficult for mac user unless you switch to Tom Tom!!

But hey, it is still beta and I have yet to try 2.0.0.3 released Mar 19th....
Darn Beta ware!

Bobcat stopped working after 2 days on my MacOSX 10.5.2. Uninstalled it, cleared all the Library plist files etc, reinstalled and still no-go. Downloaded a fresh copt and reinstalled - still no-go. Nothing has changed on my machine in the time it was working fine until the time it refuses to even launch. Dunno why.

I converted all the files in WinXP as instructed and got all the maps visible and working in Bobcat including the Thailand Routable one I bought and it was working like a charm.

Now, it says 'Bobcat quit unexpectately, MacOSX and other application are unaffected".......

:(

chien
Garmin User Since 1992

feis
Junior Mapper
GPS: Nüvi 360, Nüvi 200, 60CSx

#36 Post by feis » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:26 pm

I don't have a problem connecting to my Nuvi from Parallels 3. Bobcat does unexpectedly quit at times but never to the point that I cannot restart it.

tsechien
Regular
Regular

#37 Post by tsechien » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:48 pm

My Bobcat has gone the way of the Dodo. It will not even start up now. I am eagerly awaiting the final cut to be released.

chien
Garmin User Since 1992

feis
Junior Mapper

#38 Post by feis » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:25 pm

Have you tried using spotlight to find bobcat related files and delete those too? Perhaps you can you AppZapper or AppsDelete. Also delete the .gmapi files and reinstall back from .tgz

Hope that helps

tsechien
Regular
Regular

#39 Post by tsechien » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:29 pm

Yah, I used AppDelete (as I always do to do a clean uninstall) and got rid of all the anak-anak files hidden away in the other folders already. I also regenerated my maps anew from WinXP using the 2 converter programs thinking that it was the maps that caused it to crash but still the same. App refuses to even launch. Oh well, never mind, I'II wait until they iron out the bugs.

chien
Garmin User Since 1992

feis
Junior Mapper

#40 Post by feis » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:09 am

Hi again,

I'm still available on the offer to prepare the gmapsupp.img for those with Mac only. I can also prepare the .gmapi for Bobcat.

Update : The file size is quite big so please either provide your Gmail address or a site/address/ftp site that I can place the file in . I have tried but unable to post it here or through PM probably due to upload size limit. I would also appreciate help in providing a 'bridge' site or advice on how to deliver the file. Thanks in advance.

Request can also be directly sent to my email at site(dot)surveyor(at)gmail(dot)com