Other Than Garmin what other brand is good?

General chat about GPS technology

Moderator: Moderators

vincent829
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPS 10x with N82

Re: Other Than Garmin what other brand is good?

#31 Post by vincent829 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:55 pm

At my concern, I want to use GPS on my N73 and also laptop (once a while), that why I choose Garmin
Garmin is so far I know GPS manufacturer who develope their own software, specially for Symbian system.
I tried Papago / Mapking, it is so lame, it cant navigate me to somewhere which outside of road (due to map not updated, road was not on the map)
wherelse Garmin will route me to nearest road, and "simulate" a road to the point
And also GMXT use very less memory (RAM) compare to Mapking 2007 on my N73..
Do you want to use a software that will be terminated when a call come in? Then choose mapking
:nehneh:
Garmin GPS10x with N73 Music Edition

psp
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi, GVN52 and 60CSx

#32 Post by psp » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:32 pm

Have anyone tested the "MyNAVI" yet? how good is the map as compare to malsingmap?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Nicknags
GPS: Tele-atlas

#33 Post by Nicknags » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 am

hope someone can help me in this. I have been trying to get my supplier to provide me maps for Singapore and Malaysia for the GPS portable device.

They say their units have Operating System, Win Ce 4.2 and accept maps from Route 66 and Tele-atlas or Horizon. However I find that their maps not so updated.

I was just wondering if its possible to just buy the maps from Mapking or Garmin for Singapore and Malaysia and just plug it into the SD card reader of the device?

Just a newbie in this GPS thingy so I may be asking a stupid question.

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#34 Post by dvpro » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:01 pm

Nicknags wrote:...
I was just wondering if its possible to just buy the maps from Mapking or Garmin for Singapore and Malaysia and just plug it into the SD card reader of the device?
No.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

stimix
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nokia N78 (Garmin MXT for Navi & Racechrono for tracking)

#35 Post by stimix » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:05 pm

psp wrote:Have anyone tested the "MyNAVI" yet? how good is the map as compare to malsingmap?

Well, they are good....u can check their online map (Without POI version) via

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&t=l&map= ... 8633918:12

I use their online maps to cross reference sometime. But if u go out of Klang Valley or out of major cities & town, their coverage is not so extensive as malsingmaps...BTW, I think they dun cover East Malaysia as well...Another thing about navimaps ..they include certain areas that is yet to be developed too..but once that area developed, toatally diff from the actual - ref check Nines@Kinrara & Bdr Sutera Alam at Kinrara Puchong in MSM & compare wth navimaps online as above link....see any diff...

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC

#36 Post by darthobiguan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:18 pm

I don't think so you can. The map format is not compatible unless you can find a format converter. Otherwise, it is like trying to insert a CD disk into a cassette deck.
Nicknags wrote:hope someone can help me in this. I have been trying to get my supplier to provide me maps for Singapore and Malaysia for the GPS portable device.

They say their units have Operating System, Win Ce 4.2 and accept maps from Route 66 and Tele-atlas or Horizon. However I find that their maps not so updated.

Just a newbie in this GPS thingy so I may be asking a stupid question.

Grumpy
GPS: Garmin Nuvo
Mio C320

#37 Post by Grumpy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:27 pm

The mynavi is not a good product.

If you wanta GPS navigtion system - then go for Garmin.

If you have a GPS phone, then use Mapking. It's better.

The problem with the mynavi is:
- map is not updated
- it is always telling you to go the wrong way
- if the battery life runs out, then you ned you to setup the time date setting again
- the map does not recalculate if you go a different direction. Either you follow their pre-determined route or they will always tell you that you are going the wrong way snd to mskr s u-turn. This is different from the other GPS devices out ther that will recalculate the route if you go a different way
- if your battery dies, then you need to charge it for at least 30minutes before you can turn the bloody device on

Mynavi does not compare to Garmin or Mio. Not even in the same category,

How do I know? I used to have thr H line with mynavi before I forced Proton to give me a refund.

feis
Junior Mapper
GPS: Nüvi 360, Nüvi 200, 60CSx

#38 Post by feis » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:01 pm

stimix wrote:
psp wrote:Have anyone tested the "MyNAVI" yet? how good is the map as compare to malsingmap?

Well, they are good....u can check their online map (Without POI version) via

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&t=l&map= ... 8633918:12

I use their online maps to cross reference sometime. But if u go out of Klang Valley or out of major cities & town, their coverage is not so extensive as malsingmaps...BTW, I think they dun cover East Malaysia as well...Another thing about navimaps ..they include certain areas that is yet to be developed too..but once that area developed, toatally diff from the actual - ref check Nines@Kinrara & Bdr Sutera Alam at Kinrara Puchong in MSM & compare wth navimaps online as above link....see any diff...
MyNavi and Multimap/Map&Navi came from a different company. MyNavi is that device using TM 'powered' map. Map&Navi has their own system called CarNavi. Totally different.

Again...
MyNavi-->TM Maps-->Persona H-Line-->...
CarNavi-->Map&Navi/Multimap-->Not preinstalled in any car as standard accessory...yet.

So there you go. :-'

bleuz
GPS: Nokia 6110 Navigator

#39 Post by bleuz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:31 pm

Any other brands of map as detail as MSM??
Any other brands of map updated as frequent as MSM??

I found MSM is the most detailed map and most frequently updated map for Malaysia (I mean for Malaysia).
That's why Garmin and Mapking are the best choice for use in Malaysia since both supporting MSM.

Correct me if I'm wrong if there is other map out there as detail as MSM and updated as frequent as MSM.

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

#40 Post by sabre23t » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:21 pm

bleuz wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong if there is other map out there as detail as MSM and updated as frequent as MSM.
With specific reference to GPSMaps, I don't think there any others meeting both above criteria. Especially so if you add a third criteria of "cheap/free". :mrgreen:

However as other had mentioned, in specific areas the "paid for mapping" of local map vendors such Navi&Map and GeoInfo; "temporarily" managed to have more roads details. As soon as a local GPS maps users in those specific areas finds Malsingmaps, and contributes tracks/POIs, our MSM will be better even in those specific areas. 8-)
The world is MyMaps!