Moderator: Moderators

topoguy
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPS 60 CSx

Jupem vertical datum monument

#1 Post by topoguy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:05 am

Hi,

does anyone know how to calibrate a GPS receiver when one is near this monument located at Jupem (Malaysian Govt Mapping Department) in KL?

I've been near the monument: there was a commemorative plate about which VIP officiated its opening but no technical data whatsoever! :mrgreen:

topoguy

declan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Jupem vertical datum monument

#2 Post by declan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:35 am

Firstly, it's not much point calibrating cause the height error is actually caused by atmospheric conditions and satellite constellation, both which are variables at different times and places.

Secondly, the heights from JUPEM are based on MSL (mean sea level) whereas GPS heights are based on the WGS84 Ellipsoid.

You can calibrate a unit like the 60CSx but you're actually calibrating the internal barometer, not the actual GPS readings. I believe the unit will actually auto calibrate itself everytime it's switched on.

bernGPS
Senior Mapper
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx

Re: Jupem vertical datum monument

#3 Post by bernGPS » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:17 pm

declan wrote:Firstly, it's not much point calibrating cause the height error is actually caused by atmospheric conditions and satellite constellation, both which are variables at different times and places.

Secondly, the heights from JUPEM are based on MSL (mean sea level) whereas GPS heights are based on the WGS84 Ellipsoid.

You can calibrate a unit like the 60CSx but you're actually calibrating the internal barometer, not the actual GPS readings. I believe the unit will actually auto calibrate itself everytime it's switched on.
Yes declan is correct.

The GPS height reading only auto calibrate if you had selected that option.