MapSource send maps to GMPC

Discussions on running GPS applications on your PC, Notebook or other mobile PCs

Moderator: Moderators

Navara
GPS: Garmin 60CSx + Garmin Mobile PC + AT&T GPS Receiver

Re: MapSource send maps to GMPC

#11 Post by Navara » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:22 am

dvpro wrote:Eh, that USB modem is not a storage device, how to transfer maps? :-k
As you say, copy gmapsupp.img to C:\garmin mobile pc folder..... can work....no problem at all
EXPLORING INDONESIA with JEEP + GPS + 9W2WIW+ cewex + nasi gudeg + nasi pecel + ...

WilsonTan128
GPS: N95 Mapking 2007

#12 Post by WilsonTan128 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:48 pm

can anyone help me ? I copied the gmapsupp.img to c:\garminmobilepc\, however, still can not get the map up on GMPC, anyone know why ?

I did not enable the GPS search, since I do not have external GPS, just would like to use this GMPC to search place and familiarize with the road. Or is GMPC must be use with external GPS on ?

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#13 Post by dvpro » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:08 pm

WilsonTan128 wrote:can anyone help me ? I copied the gmapsupp.img to c:\garminmobilepc\, however, still can not get the map up on GMPC, anyone know why ?

I did not enable the GPS search, since I do not have external GPS, just would like to use this GMPC to search place and familiarize with the road. Or is GMPC must be use with external GPS on ?
If done correctly, the map should've been detected by GMPC. However, since you have not got a GPS fix, usually the current location is somewhere away from the boundaries of the installed map. Install a basemp (GMAPBMAP.IMG) the same way you installed GMAPSUPP.IMG, and in GMPC select Settings > System > Remote GPS > Disable > GPS Info > New Location, and browse the basemap using combinations of zooming out & in and browsing until you find the installed map, click anywhere within the map and finally click OK. And with that, you've just simulated your GPS location, and can start using the maps features.

Note: Those steps must be repeated everytime you start GMPC, however, if you can get a copy of GARMIN.NVM from another GMPC that has had GPS fix within the map's coverage, your copy of GMPC will start with that same location. GARMIN.NVM can be found at C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Application Data\GARMIN\GarminMobilePC where XXX=Windows User Account.

You may also check details of installed maps in GMPC, by selecting Tools > Manage My Data > Map Sets.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

WilsonTan128
GPS: N95 Mapking 2007

#14 Post by WilsonTan128 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:57 pm

:tq: , I follow your guide, yes, I didn't have the basemap installed, now it's able to show the gmapsupp's map, thanks a lot !!!

You guys are of great help ! =D> :good:

ehyeoh
GPS: Nuvi350, StreetPilot c320, MainNav MG-950d logger

#15 Post by ehyeoh » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:02 am

I also follow you guide below. Now, the map can be displayed on my second PC without GPS. Thanks.
dvpro wrote: If you can get a copy of GARMIN.NVM from another GMPC that has had GPS fix within the map's coverage, your copy of GMPC will start with that same location. GARMIN.NVM can be found at C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Application Data\GARMIN\GarminMobilePC where XXX=Windows User Account.

dwoon
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W

#16 Post by dwoon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Bro dvpro,

I understand that the software cannot use all of Garmin's GPSr as a receiver. Can the Nuvi 200W be used for that purpose so that I just get the software?

Just got myself a mini notebook and was wondering if this was another option.

Thanks

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#17 Post by dvpro » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:35 pm

dwoon wrote:Bro dvpro,

I understand that the software cannot use all of Garmin's GPSr as a receiver. Can the Nuvi 200W be used for that purpose so that I just get the software?

Just got myself a mini notebook and was wondering if this was another option.

Thanks
Yes, you're correct, apart from Garmin GPS receivers like GPS10/GPS10x and GPS20X, Garmin GPS handhelds that can be set to output GPS data while connected to PC like 60CSx can be paired with GMPC. Unfortunately, this feature is not available in Garmin's automotive devices.

sc3ae
GPS: 76Csx

#18 Post by sc3ae » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:43 pm

for 76csx the gmpc cannot be detected... or maybe only my 76csx :ko:
gmpc1.jpg
gmpc1.jpg (36.47 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
here is the first screen... can u see the satelite bar almost all got detected....
gmpc2.jpg
gmpc2.jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
the second screen....already connect my 76csx but gmpc cannot detect the unit id...
gmpc3.jpg
gmpc3.jpg (50.59 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
the last screen....

anyone any idea or any solution...or maybe any xperiance using it with 76csx
HAM + GPS + GOAT = Wonderful Life

www.kambing-malaysia.blogspot.com

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#19 Post by dvpro » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:01 pm

sc3ae wrote:...
anyone any idea or any solution...or maybe any xperiance using it with 76csx
Try using Garmin Spanner to allocate a virtual com port for 76CSx. It's originally meant for GPS18 but I know some users report that it worked. See http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=1627

Note: Garmin Spanner should detect your 76Csx, if it doesn't, maybe due to old firmware, update to the latest.