Getting Mapsource to use for POI & Tracks contributions

Discussions on running GPS applications on your PC, Notebook or other mobile PCs

Moderator: Moderators

izani
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Getting Mapsource to use for POI & Tracks contributions

#1 Post by izani » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:36 am

Topic split from runtime post in "Map unlocking Q & A" thread. --sabre23t
runtime wrote:Hi,

I look at the Guide to unlock the Locked Maps. It seems that it will required mapsource to unlock it. We have to own a Garmin GPS or purhase it in order to use the maps? How to others without this software unlock the map even if they have the unlock code?
Or get it from Garmin...

First install the trainings center software.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/collecti ... 9-99999-04

this installa a basemap in the mapsource directory, now that the
directory is there install the mapsource update.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=209

You only get a pc basemap, but you can use custom maps now to get more
detail.

Steps:

1. Install "TrainingCenterForWindows_323.exe"
2. Install "MapSource_6124.exe"
3. Install maps from MalSingMaps "GM-MySin v1.26.exe" and "GM-Borneo v1.13.exe"

Cheers
-- IR --

WiRuS
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 310

Re: Map unlocking Q & A

#2 Post by WiRuS » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:58 am

Redstorm wrote:
WiRuS wrote:hmm is the new maps v2.04? Is there a vast difference between a map to net so much a change from v1.26 to v2.04?

Hmm.. last time I downloaded the all-in-one from Jaguar with all the Carpark POI HDB POI and stuff all merged together..
If I were to download the locked maps now.. Hmm.. will all these POIs be included? Or I will have to include them myself? How can I do it?
If u are able to download the "locked" all-in-one map, all these POIs will still be inside. No different from the previous version.
hmmm.. but in mapsource? How do we add the maps in? Wat abt the pois? Cos I juz downloaded mapsource 2weeks ago and I'm not sure how to use it.. Currently my mapsource only contain 2 maps.. V1.13 borneo map and v1.26 MySin map.. Dun haf any POIs for upload? I would lk to learn how to do it so I can contribute more nx time? Thanx for the help..

and anyway I forgot how I add the maps in liao? Can teach me? Cos I see the video tutorials how come they got so mani maps and pois when I only haf 2?

sorry edit again.. hmm.. if i have the new maps already, how do I remove the old maps in mapsource and replace them with the new one? cos I searched wiki but cannot access the uninstall page..

runtime
GPS: Garmin nuvi 265W, D810 with internal GPS, Holux Slim240, iPhone TomTom

#3 Post by runtime » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:49 pm

izani wrote:

I look at the Guide to unlock the Locked Maps. It seems that it will required mapsource to unlock it. We have to own a Garmin GPS or purhase it in order to use the maps? How to others without this software unlock the map even if they have the unlock code?
Or get it from Garmin...

detail.

Steps:

Cheers

Thanks for your steps. Got the Mapsource working.... ;-)

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

#4 Post by sabre23t » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:48 pm

WiRuS wrote:hmmm.. but in mapsource? How do we add the maps in? Wat abt the pois? Cos I juz downloaded mapsource 2weeks ago and I'm not sure how to use it.. Currently my mapsource only contain 2 maps.. V1.13 borneo map and v1.26 MySin map.. Dun haf any POIs for upload? ... how do I remove the old maps in mapsource and replace them with the new one? cos I searched wiki but cannot access the uninstall page.
Easiest way to add our maps into Mapsource is to use "Mapsource Installers" given in Downloads & Uploads » Official Malsing Maps forum. The installers are smart enough to remove old version of the map they are installing.

Regarding how to use Mapsource to add POIs and Tracks, please see wiki article http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php/MapSource and related articles. Particularly the Video_tutorials#MapSource by Aduka.

See also the thread Use Mapsource for your error reporting on how to do that. 8-)
The world is MyMaps!

WiRuS

Re: Getting Mapsource to use for POI & Tracks contributions

#5 Post by WiRuS » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:27 pm

hmm actually i have gone thru all the links u haf stated.. I'm juz curious that in the video about transferring all the maps in mapsource to the garmin device rite..

how come they got all the poi and stuff separate while I only got 2 maps.. I used the 2 installers borneo and mysing mapsource installers.. is there anything I have done wrong?

and btw how do i upload files into malsingmap accounts? Cos I would lk to post pics but i dunno where to upload it

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

#6 Post by sabre23t » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:35 pm

WiRuS wrote:how come they got all the poi and stuff separate while I only got 2 maps.
Did you create any POIs in Mapsource? Did you download POIs from your GPSr to Mapsource?
WiRuS wrote:and btw how do i upload files into malsingmap accounts? Cos I would lk to post pics ...
Did you scroll down to the bottom of the screen when you reply to a post? Did you see the "Upload Attachment" section, just before the "Topic Review" section?
:-k
The world is MyMaps!

WiRuS

#7 Post by WiRuS » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:52 pm

no i nv create any poi.. so hmm.. for the all-in-one gmapsupp.img.. what poi did they haf? where to download?

bimmer
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 660

#8 Post by bimmer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:01 pm

izani wrote:Topic split from runtime post in "Map unlocking Q & A" thread. --sabre23t

Or get it from Garmin...

detail.

Steps:

Cheers
Hi.
I tried the steps above (Step#1 ok) and i got "Previous MapSource not found! Setup will terminate" message when i did Step#2.
What am i missing?
- bimmer

retro
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin 60CSx and Forerunner 305

#9 Post by retro » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:09 pm

bimmer wrote: Hi.
I tried the steps above (Step#1 ok) and i got "Previous MapSource not found! Setup will terminate" message when i did Step#2.
What am i missing?
Unless Garmin has recently changed their policies, you will need to purchase a Mapsource product, e.g. Trip and Waypoint manager. This product is sometimes bundled with some Garmin units.
Cheers, Adrian
Can't think straight... π

bimmer
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 660

#10 Post by bimmer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:27 am

retro wrote:
Unless Garmin has recently changed their policies, you will need to purchase a Mapsource product, e.g. Trip and Waypoint manager. This product is sometimes bundled with some Garmin units.
Darn. I got a Nuvi which doesnt come with Mapsource CD. :(
Any suggestions?
- bimmer