Getting Mapsource to use for POI & Tracks contributions

Discussions on running GPS applications on your PC, Notebook or other mobile PCs

Moderator: Moderators

gnilnosaj
GPS: Holux 236, O2 mini exec, GPS Proxy, Garmin Que v2.90

Re: Getting Mapsource to use for POI & Tracks contributions

#31 Post by gnilnosaj » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:33 pm

sabre23t wrote:
jagr wrote:after installation of training centre .... install mapsource anyway, the setup says to click the next button but there is no next button on the setup screen and it just stops there
Follow the steps given by Bro shah in the "Mapsource - Trip & Waypoint Manager" in Newbie Lounge ...
Shah wrote:Bingo!
It's working now. O:)
These are the steps that I followed:
* Uninstall all Garmin applications (nroute, updater, mapsource & training center)
* Clean up any mention of Garmin in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/GARMIN as Bro Magnus has suggested
:thumbsup:
I'm facing some problem here. Managed to download all the necessary programs, and I think I've successfully installed the Training Center also. But when I tried to run Mapsource, there's an error message that says "There is a problem with the Mapsource installation. Please re-install Mapsource and start it again". What could be wrong, or which step have I missed out.
Also, regarding the part where I have to clean up any mention of Garmin, how do I do that?

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

#32 Post by sabre23t » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:36 am

gnilnosaj wrote:
sabre23t wrote:Follow the steps given by Bro shah in the "Mapsource - Trip & Waypoint Manager" in Newbie Lounge ...
But when I tried to run Mapsource, there's an error message that says "There is a problem with the Mapsource installation. Please re-install Mapsource and start it again".
Did you read a bit further back before Bro Shah post and followed Bro Magnus instruction to clean-up any mention of Garmin, then only reinstall? :-k
The world is MyMaps!

gnilnosaj

#33 Post by gnilnosaj » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:12 pm

sabre23t wrote:Did you read a bit further back before Bro Shah post and followed Bro Magnus instruction to clean-up any mention of Garmin, then only reinstall? :-k
Yes, read that. The problem is how do I get registry register for my PC? I know WM5 PDA has, but didn't know that PC has this program also. :nutz:

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#34 Post by bartmp8 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:57 pm

gnilnosaj wrote:
sabre23t wrote:Did you read a bit further back before Bro Shah post and followed Bro Magnus instruction to clean-up any mention of Garmin, then only reinstall? :-k
Yes, read that. The problem is how do I get registry register for my PC? I know WM5 PDA has, but didn't know that PC has this program also. :nutz:

Try this:

Go to Start then choose Control Panel. Inside Control Panel choose
Add or Remove Programs. Get rid of all the Garmin files then install again.

gnilnosaj

#35 Post by gnilnosaj » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:05 pm

bartmp8 wrote:

Try this:

Thanks. Still no go. Still getting the error message.

However, was frustrated already and in anger, double-clicked one of the garmin mapsource map that "GM-MySin installer" installed. Surprise...the map actually opened, but using another program called GPSMapEdit.

Please tell me that this program IS the Mapsource program #-o !

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#36 Post by bartmp8 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:17 pm

gnilnosaj wrote:
bartmp8 wrote:

Try this:

Thanks. Still no go. Still getting the error message.

However, was frustrated already and in anger, double-clicked one of the garmin mapsource map that "GM-MySin installer" installed. Surprise...the map actually opened, but using another program called GPSMapEdit.

Please tell me that this program IS the Mapsource program #-o !
Never used GPSMapEdit. but since you can see a map, that's a good thing isn't it? :mrgreen:
Nevernind, if at first fail, try and try again.

gnilnosaj

#37 Post by gnilnosaj » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:27 pm

Ha Ha!

Working already. Found some old MapSource program folder hiding deeeeep in my computer.

=D> \:D/

Now reading thru the manual, to find how to load the mapsets. Can open MapSource, and after running the GM-MySin installer....nothing! Can only see base map.

Huge learning curve man! This new rule of contributing to malsing to get the unlock code really forces me to learn. :ko:

Edit: OK! Its me being stupid again!! Realised I have to close, then open MapSource inorder to view the map! Duh..
Last edited by gnilnosaj on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jazzmama
GPS: nuvi 310, 360

#38 Post by jazzmama » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:34 pm

gnilnosaj wrote:

I had the same problem as you when my mapsource beta version expired and the new version failed to install correctly. For a few days, I thought I wouldn't be able to contribute to malsingmaps any further since I couldn't access the latest maps.

Here's how I solved it.
1 Uninstall and delete all Garmin programmes.
2 Delete the Garmin folder and contents from the registry.
If you are not familiar with regedit,try reading this, http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm
Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/GARMIN and delete this.
3 Install Training Centre
4 Install Mapsource and voila!

Hope this is of help to you.

Stakota
GPS: Internal

#39 Post by Stakota » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:58 pm

I am using a garmin on my N95. i tried installing the Map training and Mapsource but it did not work as there is no key for me the cancel for GPS when prompted.

I would like to ask if any one uses this N95 for reporting? if so, how to go about installing the two software.

Thanks

deani77
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 42 (Navigation)

#40 Post by deani77 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:32 pm