In car Mac Mini GPS project

Discussions on running GPS applications on your PC, Notebook or other mobile PCs

Moderator: Moderators

dms
GPS: Researching for an in-car Mac Mini project

In car Mac Mini GPS project

#1 Post by dms » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Im trying to do some research for a project I have in mind.

I want to install a mac mini in my land cruiser and have a 7" touch screen mounted on the dash that will interface with my itunes and GPS.

I was trying to find a MAC application that can interface with a GPS by bluetooth or USB and perform the basic GPS functions like:

a) display the maps on the screen of the mac based on the location derived from the GPS
b) route planning & turn by turn directions
c) store favourite locations
d) create new POIs
e) update the maps and locations database periodically

Any suggestions you may have or if you can introduce me to some one who has done similar, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Damien

deani77
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 42 (Navigation)

Re: In car Mac Mini GPS project

#2 Post by deani77 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:11 am

There is a lot of project done on Windows Platform but so far never seen yet people using Mac Platform... You can refer to carputer website for that purpose...

As for complete map will be a problem since there is no complete map for Mac platform... :-k

nyem
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: nuvi

Re: In car Mac Mini GPS project

#3 Post by nyem » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:23 pm

deani77 wrote:There is a lot of project done on Windows Platform but so far never seen yet people using Mac Platform... You can refer to carputer website for that purpose...

As for complete map will be a problem since there is no complete map for Mac platform... :-k
There's GPS Connect (http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/gpsconnect/), a freeware bridge between MacOSX and Garmin GPS. Mac users can use Garmin Bootcamp/RoadTrip. I have OSGeo Live CD (http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html) and Windows7 running on virtual machine on my mac.