Google Maps

Discussions on running GPS applications on your PC, Notebook or other mobile PCs

Moderator: Moderators

Edwin
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 760 & iPhone4

Google Maps

#1 Post by Edwin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:07 pm

Hey guys,

Have anyone checked out the new Google Maps at http://www.google.com/maps
Now they really have maps instead of just satellite images of Malaysia. Check out the map below.

It's quite good and also allows basic navigation but you can only choose road to road navigation and not buildings.
Attachments
ampang.jpg
map
ampang.jpg (100.05 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
* The GPS is the next best thing to sliced bread*
Never knew how I managed without a GPS all these years!

ajay
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: PAPAGO M9; nuvi 205W

Re: Google Maps

#2 Post by ajay » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:14 pm

yeah we've already been talking about it at earlier thread
ask not (just) what malsingmaps can do for you
ask what you can do for malsingmaps (also)

tympg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Holux Slim 236 + Dopod 838pro (WM6); Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

#3 Post by tympg » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:32 pm

The routing in Google Maps is downright lethal.

Look what happens when I try to route from Penang Airport to a road on the other side of the airport compound :shock: ](*,) :

link

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#4 Post by cruiser » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Yes it sure is... I was googling my GSM this morning too... will now try this url and see... :thumbsup:
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

mrericlee
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 610

#5 Post by mrericlee » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:07 pm

tympg wrote:The routing in Google Maps is downright lethal.

Look what happens when I try to route from Penang Airport to a road on the other side of the airport compound :shock: ](*,) :

link
Excellant excuse to drive across the runway!

topoguy
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPS 60 CSx

#6 Post by topoguy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:21 pm

Moral of the story: use GPS and also use your common sense :mrgreen:

check here for GPS-caused accidents http://www.gadling.com/2007/06/30/dont- ... -your-gps/

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#7 Post by cruiser » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:39 pm

Thats right, it is still no excuse that the Law lifts any exeption to allow a blind person to drive due to the GPS unit being installed. In some cases, i think the chimpansee still outsmarts some really shameful humans...it is also a wonder, how they obtain their DL... perhaps, a refresher course on driving should be implemented by default upon cases with severe shortage of common senses...being dried out!!

They are a potential hazard I don't want to be driving from behind or next to either... :mrgreen:
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#8 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:44 pm

Artificial Intelligence is not yet a mature product such that humans can leave all decisions to it ... even the plane like air bus which is fly by wire still needs a pilot to supervise now and then .. even though it can land on its own via auto-pilot ....

cruiser
Elite
Elite

#9 Post by cruiser » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:14 pm

Volvo is still experimenting it and with success too but more tests needed to be 101% safe...

I did myself, test drived a 22-ton RV from Europe's 1st ever imported Monaco Signature from Oregon for abt 4 hours on the Autobahn between Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg. It is equipped with a Radar sensor and a sonar beam mounted on the roof. At one stage, after pre-setting the cruise control at 130kph (!!!), calibrate the min. distance of 25m to the default range of 150m, the computer took over! We were cruising on a semi dense highway where average speeds between 120 to 180kph occurs.
At that point, I literally stepped out of my Captain's seat, stand next to the cockpit area and watched the RV in full control, speeding and reducing speed in tune with the traffic and cars in front and coming up towards them and also staying in lane, but this can only take place in a "VERY" straight road!!! Technically, I was able to slip back to extinguish the john and double back with a driver-less seat at the cockpit subject to the speed set on the cruiser and the distance of the straight road. Its possible... but this i sure hope someday will not be allowed with commercial truck drivers, I for one NEVER trust any truck driver... esp. those low-lifers who got a bad history relationship with their last whore or wife somehow....and they start playing monkey on the roads to sanitize their depression!!! GPS has already shown and proven how some, with many years of driving, still ending up with a trailer in a road roomy for just one bullock cart!!

Some cities by us have residential areas prohibiting trucks and the use of GPS use.

muzz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#10 Post by muzz » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:32 pm

tympg wrote:The routing in Google Maps is downright lethal.

link

Now its not routeable any more for MY :(
not in maps.google.com, GE or GMM