Help for laptop [nRoute]

Discussions on running GPS applications on your PC, Notebook or other mobile PCs

Moderator: Moderators

benyeap
GPS: Holux

Help for laptop [nRoute]

#1 Post by benyeap » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:13 am

I'm going to use a GPS module with my laptop. So where should I start with? Which mapping software & recommended map download links? Rerouting capable? There are quite some downloads available at the download link & none mentioned which one is for laptop, therefore I'm pretty confused. I'm using Holux GPSmile 52 with iMap previously. Please advice.

Thank you
Last edited by bartmp8 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited Subject to include [nRoute]

redshadow
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Nokia N82+10X,,
Nuvi 350

Re: Help for laptop

#2 Post by redshadow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:15 am

benyeap wrote:I'm going to use a GPS module with my laptop. So where should I start with? Which mapping software & recommended map download links? Rerouting capable? There are quite some downloads available at the download link & none mentioned which one is for laptop, therefore I'm pretty confused. I'm using Holux GPSmile 52 with iMap previously. Please advice.

Thank you
Bro benyeap,
if you want you can download en-route from garmin website,, :welcome:
Life Is Full Of Adventure

jaguar
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi 310, 60CSx, 10x

#3 Post by jaguar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:20 am

Bro redshadow... point our new brother to the right link la...

here it is .. in wiki .. http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... S_receiver touched up by an old cat :mrgreen:
Look on the bright side ya? :muak:

redshadow
Veteran
Veteran
Nuvi 350

#4 Post by redshadow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:23 am

jaguar wrote:Bro redshadow... point our new brother to the right link la...

here it is .. in wiki .. http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... S_receiver touched up by an old cat :mrgreen:
sorry ha,, cos my first time getting it also from garmin website lei :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

benyeap

#5 Post by benyeap » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:24 am

Thanks bro. The GPS module is not connected via bluetooth. So still can use the same link? Or which part should I skip?

redshadow
Veteran
Veteran
Nuvi 350

#6 Post by redshadow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:30 am

benyeap wrote:Thanks bro. The GPS module is not connected via bluetooth. So still can use the same link? Or which part should I skip?
What you got to do is install en-route ot your lappy,
Then you've to paired your BTgpsr to your lappy,
so when you run en-route it'll search for the satelite,,
Hope this helps

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#7 Post by dvpro » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:30 am

benyeap wrote:Thanks bro. The GPS module is not connected via bluetooth. So still can use the same link? Or which part should I skip?
If you're willing to spend some money (only US$12.95 for Express License), the easier approach running nRoute with non-Garmin receivers is to use GPSGate (definitely less settings).

http://www.franson.com/gpsgate/
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

benyeap

#8 Post by benyeap » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:56 pm

The GPS module is not bluetooth type, it is actually a built-in GPS cradle connected to my laptop. It requires me to set port as well as the baud rate. So all this can be set with enRoute?

jaguar
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi 310, 60CSx, 10x

#9 Post by jaguar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:05 pm

It does not matter if your GPS in a non-bluetooth type. Bluetooth is only one method to get the signals from your GPS receiver to your laptop, once you pair it correctly with the right port.

Basically, NRoute only expect to receive Garmin protocol from your GPS receiver. In your case, you have a hard-wire (via the cradle) connecting your GPS receiver to your laptop. And , since your GPS receiver may not be a Garmin receiver, it probably sends out NMEA 0183 protocol. Hence, you still need to install GPSProxy pc version (or GPSgate as recommended by dvpro above). GPSproxy acts as a translator , converting NMEA 0183 to garmin protocol on the fly. NRoute will then recognise the signals is the ports are setup correctly as per the wiki........

Good luck. =P~
Look on the bright side ya? :muak:

benyeap

#10 Post by benyeap » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Just downloaded GPSproxy. Now next is nRoute, but the link seems dead. It redirects me to a bunch of Garmin software product. And how about the Mapsource? Why the wiki site there mentioned nRoute can't work without Mapsource? I thought there is a free one around? Next, what is this com0com? How about the maps file? This is getting complicated