Beginner's Guide For Using Malsingmaps On Macs

Post and upload your tracks, waypoints, error reports and feedbacks HERE (ADVANCED USERS)

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

Forum rules
POSTING FEEDBACK
You can post feedback via the forum. When you post a feedback, just ensure that your feedback goes to the right locality. That's it! Thanks for your support!
civic98
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 1350
Nuvi 55LM

Beginner's Guide For Using Malsingmaps On Macs

#1 Post by civic98 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:31 am

I myself had just found this method, not sure if there are other easier ones, but this should work. Take note though, you will still need Windows for installing & converting the maps.

Assuming that you already have latest Malsingmaps, and that you have installed them via a Windows PC, below are the apps / programs you need to download and install:-

1. Roadtrip (Mac) Garmin Roadtrip For Mac
2. Mapinstall (Mac) - It comes together with MapManager Garmin MapInstall & MapManager For Mac
3. Mapconverter (Windows) Garmin Mapconverter For Windows

Steps to install & convert:-

1. First thing you need to do is to install Mapconverter on your Windows PC. Run it and it will detect the already installed maps (in the same PC I assume) for you to choose to install to your selected location. The maps will be converted into Folders "MSM-MySin.gmapi" & "MSM-Borneo.gmapi";
2. Copy these folders to your Mac;
3. Install Mapinstall on your Mac (it comes together with MapManager). MapInstall is for you to install maps into your device. MapManager is the one you need to install maps to view in RoadTrip;
4. Install Roadtrip on your Mac;
5. On your Mac, launch MapManager. Go to "File" - "Open" and choose the folders you copied earlier, you will be prompted to install the map, click "Install". Do the same for the other folder;
6. Launch RoadTrip. You will be prompted on the newly installed maps, but they are locked. Go to "Unlock" - "Edit Unlock Codes". Click "Add" and enter your unlock codes. Once you are done, you should be able to see the maps. You can choose the maps from the top right corner drop down menu.

bernGPS
Senior Mapper
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx

Re: Beginner's Guide For Using Malsingmaps On Macs

#2 Post by bernGPS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:49 pm

=D>

julesido
GPS: nuvi 660

#3 Post by julesido » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Dear seniors

Am just wondering if it is possible to request from some of our more experienced users in both PCs and Macs to help generate updated gmapi files for Mac Users (Me) and to make it available for downloads.

Still in the process of learning and wish to learn more on the 'how to do's' Basically on a Mac.
One day, hopefully to be able to join as a contributor. Julesido :)

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#4 Post by SilverBeauty » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:43 pm

julesido wrote:Dear seniors

Am just wondering if it is possible to request from some of our more experienced users in both PCs and Macs to help generate updated gmapi files for Mac Users (Me) and to make it available for downloads.

Still in the process of learning and wish to learn more on the 'how to do's' Basically on a Mac.
One day, hopefully to be able to join as a contributor. Julesido :)
The procedures and instructions have been published by bro Civic98 :thumbsup:

Just download the files which are available in Garmin website as in links provided http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

Why don't you try vs having someone do it for you :-'

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#5 Post by dvpro » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 pm

julesido wrote:Am just wondering if it is possible to request from some of our more experienced users in both PCs and Macs to help generate updated gmapi files for Mac Users (Me) and to make it available for downloads.
Here's MSM mapset converted to TGZ format (compressed GMAPI) using MapConverter for Windows: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 26&t=19371
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

julesido
GPS: nuvi 660

#6 Post by julesido » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks Dvpro, I've got it! I'll have to consider myself 'a Sotong', managed to subscribe and bookmark!

Its great learning and now what and how can I try to contribute! Lots to learn. Thx