Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Forum rules

POSTING FEEDBACK
You can post feedback via the forum interface or by using the Malsingmaps Garmin Webmap. Either way works for us. When you post a feedback, just ensure that your feedback goes to the right locality. That's it! Thanks for your support!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:40 pm 

GPS: Garmin 765
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware that Malaysia / Singapore / Brunei NT 2010.20 is already obsolete but how do I delete it? (so that it may solve my problem).

To know that I have Malaysia / Singapore / Brunei NT 2010.20 , i go to Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info to see.

I have the files u mentioned gmapprom1.img / gmapprom.img / gmapprom1.unl. All these files are in main memory /Garmin folder.

The gmaptz.img file is in my main memory too.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
yongster7 wrote:
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware that Malaysia / Singapore / Brunei NT 2010.20 is already obsolete but how do I delete it? (so that it may solve my problem).

To know that I have Malaysia / Singapore / Brunei NT 2010.20 , i go to Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info to see.

I have the files u mentioned gmapprom1.img / gmapprom.img / gmapprom1.unl. All these files are in main memory /Garmin folder.

In your main memory \Garmin folder you have gmapprom1.img / gmapprom.img / gmapprom1.unl and possibly also gmapprom.unl. These are the preloaded maps of MSM NT and CN NT of around the same vintage. First of all, as I said, if you are sentimental, back them up, then delete them from the \Garmin folder. For that, your GPS must be connected to your PC via the USB cord (I am sure you already know that if you can see the contents of your main memory. If you can see them, you can delete them using Windows Explorer.).

Checking or unchecking maps through Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info only activates or deactivates maps but who knows what a rogue map will do if you do not physically delete it? That is why I suggested that you delete them since they are useless to you. Leave the .unl files in the main memory though. They will not cause any harm and may be useful to you one day.

After you have deleted the old maps, you should only have gmapbmap.img and gmaptz.img and the .unl files in your \Garmin folder in your main memory.

Your active map (a MSM NT v5.xx) should reside in the \Garmin folder of your SD card as gmapsupp.img

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:23 pm 

jasonlee wrote:
yongster7 wrote:
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

In your main memory \Garmin folder you have gmapprom1.img / gmapprom.img / gmapprom1.unl and possibly also gmapprom.unl. These are the preloaded maps of MSM NT and CN NT of around the same vintage. First of all, as I said, if you are sentimental, back them up, then delete them from the \Garmin folder. For that, your GPS must be connected to your PC via the USB cord (I am sure you already know that if you can see the contents of your main memory. If you can see them, you can delete them using Windows Explorer.).

Checking or unchecking maps through Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info only activates or deactivates maps but who knows what a rogue map will do if you do not physically delete it? That is why I suggested that you delete them since they are useless to you. Leave the .unl files in the main memory though. They will not cause any harm and may be useful to you one day.

After you have deleted the old maps, you should only have gmapbmap.img and gmaptz.img and the .unl files in your \Garmin folder in your main memory.

Your active map (a MSM NT v5.xx) should reside in the \Garmin folder of your SD card as gmapsupp.img

I have followed your instructions. The only map i have now is MSM NT v5.41 , however i dunno why there is still another map in there CN Europe NT 2010.10 3D. (hopefully it isn't the reason why I still have the error)

Starting to lose hope now....hopefully i am troubleshooting correctly ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:39 pm 
Senior Mapper

yongster7 wrote:

I have followed your instructions. The only map i have now is MSM NT v5.41 , however i dunno why there is still another map in there CN Europe NT 2010.10 3D. (hopefully it isn't the reason why I still have the error)

Why should you have a Europe map in your GPS? Did you buy it in Europe?

Theoretically there is no harm to have the 2 maps as they are not of the same geographical area so there should be no conflict. However, who knows what a rogue map will do? So unless you need the Europe map right now, I would recommend backing it up then deleting it from your main memory. Besides, why waste resources to read a map that you don't need into memory'?

To eliminate surprises, why don't you show the contents of your main memory in a screenshot?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:32 pm 

jasonlee wrote:
yongster7 wrote:

Theoretically there is no harm to have the 2 maps as they are not of the same geographical area so there should be no conflict. However, who knows what a rogue map will do? So unless you need the Europe map right now, I would recommend backing it up then deleting it from your main memory. Besides, why waste resources to read a map that you don't need into memory'?

To eliminate surprises, why don't you show the contents of your main memory in a screenshot?

I have attached the screenshot with this post , please let me know if anything is not where it is supposed to be.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:35 pm 
Senior Mapper

yongster7 wrote:

jasonlee wrote:

yongster7 wrote:
I have attached the screenshot with this post , please let me know if anything is not where it is supposed to be.
I do not see a Europe map file. The Europe map is around 1.5GB. What you have is just the graphics for the 3D buildings so it should not interfere but since the map is not there, the 3D graphics serve no purpose so you should back-up then delete form the main memory.

What worries me is why do you have a gmapsupp.img file in your main memory? What map is this?

The MSM NTv5.42 is about 47MB. Your gmapsupp.img is only 45.6MB and dated August 2011. It could be a much older v5.xx map and if you have the v5.41 in your SD card, for sure there will be a conflict. You should delete this this gmapsupp.img and only have the v5.41 or better still v5.42 only in your SD card \Garmin folder.

This may be the reason why you are not able to route.

If you will also show a screenshot of your SD card \Garmin folder, then the mystery will be cleared.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:18 am 

jasonlee wrote:
yongster7 wrote:

jasonlee wrote:

yongster7 wrote:
I do not see a Europe map file. The Europe map is around 1.5GB. What you have is just the graphics for the 3D buildings so it should not interfere but since the map is not there, the 3D graphics serve no purpose so you should back-up then delete form the main memory.

What worries me is why do you have a gmapsupp.img file in your main memory? What map is this?

The MSM NTv5.42 is about 47MB. Your gmapsupp.img is only 45.6MB and dated August 2011. It could be a much older v5.xx map and if you have the v5.41 in your SD card, for sure there will be a conflict. You should delete this this gmapsupp.img and only have the v5.41 or better still v5.42 only in your SD card \Garmin folder.

This may be the reason why you are not able to route.

If you will also show a screenshot of your SD card \Garmin folder, then the mystery will be cleared.

I do not have any other maps in my SD card. Infact I do not have any SD card loaded to my nuvi 765.

What I have in the main memory is pretty much what I downloaded from the Malsingmaps.com which is MSM NTv5.41. I have replaced the old gmapsupp.img with the one downloaded from malsingmaps.com MSM NT v5.41.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:43 am 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
Please follow bro Jasonlee advise. Remove the file from main memory and put it in an SD card/ga rmin. In fact re-download a fresh copy of MSMV5.42 map file and unzip the map file gmapsupp.img

The computer logged dates and file size do not look right. Why is the gmapsupp.img dated aug2011? Is your computer internal date not correct ? There is another file logged as feb2012 ... Anyway, this is another story. Do as above advise.

It is also advised to put new map or updates into SD card as Nuvi is NOT forgiving to map data ( or any files there ) corruption in main memory which will result in a "bricked" expensive paperweight :ko:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:26 pm 

SilverBeauty wrote:
Please follow bro Jasonlee advise. Remove the file from main memory and put it in an SD card/ga rmin. In fact re-download a fresh copy of MSMV5.42 map file and unzip the map file gmapsupp.img

The computer logged dates and file size do not look right. Why is the gmapsupp.img dated aug2011? Is your computer internal date not correct ? There is another file logged as feb2012 ... Anyway, this is another story. Do as above advise.

It is also advised to put new map or updates into SD card as Nuvi is NOT forgiving to map data ( or any files there ) corruption in main memory which will result in a "bricked" expensive paperweight :ko:

SilverBeauty,

I have bought a new SD today just to follow Jason's instructions , did as told.

1) gmapsupp.img was removed from main memory.
2) new MSM 5.42 downloaded and installed into SD card. Created new folder Garmin and put the file there.

Tried using the GPS again. Error still persists.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:54 pm 
Senior Mapper

yongster7 wrote:

SilverBeauty,

I have bought a new SD today just to follow Jason's instructions , did as told.

1) gmapsupp.img was removed from main memory.
2) new MSM 5.42 downloaded and installed into SD card. Created new folder Garmin and put the file there.

Tried using the GPS again. Error still persists.

Dear Bro yongster7,

There is one more thing you can try.

This should have been tried much earlier had we not been side-tracked into focussing on the map or satellite lock.

What you can try is to do a hard reset and delete all user data.

You may have to back-up your Favorites first then after the reset, customise your GPS again by choosing country and time zone etc.

As I do not have a 765, I am not sure how the reset is done as it varies according to model. You have to wait for Bro SilverBeauty to advise you as he has a 765 or you can search for the procedure in our Wiki.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next