Malaysian & Singaporean GPS Users Poll

Discussions on our website, gatherings and other community issues.

Moderator: Moderators

I use the following as my primary GPS unit

Garmin Asia unit
63%
US / Europe / Others unit
37%

Total votes: 720

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

Malaysian & Singaporean GPS Users Poll

#1 Post by adilothman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:05 am

This is to gauge the percentage of users from Malaysia and Singapore who are using either Garmin Asia units or US/Europe units. Since members cannot vote more than once, I would suggest that your vote is based on your primary GPS unit that you use.
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

Re: Malaysian GPS User Poll

#2 Post by jasonlee » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 am

I cannot vote because my GPS was bought legally in USA and not a grey import. You have not given me any applicable option to vote for.
Lean not on your own understanding

2uk3y
GPS: nüvi 205

#3 Post by 2uk3y » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:20 am

how to know the unit is from Asia or US/UK ?? :lol:

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#4 Post by adilothman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:52 am

jasonlee wrote:I cannot vote because my GPS was bought legally in USA and not a grey import. You have not given me any applicable option to vote for.
You should vote for USA / Europe. The reason for this poll is to get a sampling of how many users out there in Malaysia (as well as Singapore) that actually uses Garmin Asian units which is intended for their market.

Garmin Asian units will have localised firmware which is different from US/Europe. Not sure what they are though.
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#5 Post by jasonlee » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:56 am

Could you then please remove the objectionable words grey import from the option? Otherwise no honest person will vote for that option when the unit they own is not a grey import. I won't.

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner

#6 Post by adilothman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:15 am

jasonlee wrote:Could you then please remove the objectionable words grey import from the option? Otherwise no honest person will vote for that option when the unit they own is not a grey import. I won't.
It is still a "parrarell import" / "AP unit" / "grey import" no matter how you look at it - as much as how I purchased my Nintendo Wii in US and brought it back here. There is an official dealer but i got it cheaper in another region. We both have units which was not intended for the Malaysian market. Or at least that is how Garmin officially views it. And Nintendo.

Only in the last 2 years or so do we see more people buying Asian units (more competition / aggressive pricing). If you rewind longer in time, the demographics would be heavily tilted in favour of AP units vs Asian units. Part of the poll is to see if the trend is changing.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#7 Post by jasonlee » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:56 am

Dear Bro Adilothman,

I honestly do not know where this discussion is going to lead us but so long as you will not take this personally, I am happy to continue and share my knowledge and experience for the benefit of all and to be more accurate in our terminology.

I used to work for a company that was appointed sole agent (or official agent or sole distributor etc.) that was so appointed by the manufacturer to be its official sales network for its products and with a promise that the manufacturer will not sell their products to anyone else in the sole agent's defined territory. Thus all the goods imported by the sole agent are the official imports and anything else are the unofficial and hence 'illegal' parallel imports, grey imports etc., terms invented as others find new ways to bring in goods unofficially to compete for the official agent's market share. The different terms only describe the different methods of bringing the goods in but for the official agent they are 'illegal' and stealing from their rice-bowl. Thus official agents often conduct such surveys to find out how much is the penetration of such unofficial goods in their territory to better gauge the true market size and potential and formulate strategies to increase their market share. Such surveys do not mean a thing to anybody else other than the official agent.

Have you ever heard of the term in Hokkien that literally means 'sea-bottom goods'? They are of course unofficial imports but done in a manner that is no longer possible today. In the days before the use of locked containers for transportation of goods, it was not too difficult to get a cooperative member of the crew to push certain crates of goods into the sea as the ship approaches the harbour. These crates of course are well sealed and waterproof and they float so are picked up by small boats that follow the ships at a distance. The official importer claims insurance for the loss so the people who fished out the goods from the sea got them practically free and created havoc when these perfectly good and genuine products flood the market at a fraction of the prices the official agent sells.

Hence whether you call them parallel imports or grey imports or sea-bottom goods, they are unofficial goods bought in the market where there is an official agent or distributor but not from them. You and I are not importers. Hence your Nintendo or my Nuvi are not imports. They are our personal belongings that we may have bought in a foreign country and that we carry with us wherever we go. Suppose you buy a GPS from the official agent in Malaysia and bring it to Japan and use it there. Will you consider your GPS a grey import into Japan (and risk prosecution by the official agent there)? I shouldn't think so.

Hence my objection when you classify my personal property as a grey import.

Trust this makes it clear and I am very sure there are many in the same boat as I am who will not take part in your poll as long as the objectionable words grey imports are not removed.

mnd_43
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: 6210 Navigator

#8 Post by mnd_43 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Hai ya... this is a poll just to know ours is US/UK version or others ! Dont care la where you got it ...
nobody want to know ! Just a sw version survey . mine is nuvi 710 sw 4.6 - so US/UK version ... thats all ...
This what adil means ...
n better change to US/UK version vs Asian Version

8-) ... TV series ' mind your language '
:D ... de 9W2BPN

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#9 Post by jasonlee » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:42 pm

mnd_43 wrote: n better change to US/UK version vs Asian Version
You are absolutely right brother. This is my whole point.

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#10 Post by bartmp8 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Bro Jason and Members (polling and abstaining),

Without malice, without prejudice: I think Taiko Adil just wants to know what road to take as far as
developing our future MSM maps (remember the big surprised he promised us?). E.g. US units cannot see
all POIs when navigating, Asian units can. Maybe he just wants to know is it worth re-configuring our
maps to tackle this issue. Maybe only 10% using US so it will not be worth the effort to re-configure.
There could be other technical reasons.

I understand where you are coming from. I can see how this will cause a lot of distress for some. Then again,
this is a poll, Participation is not mandatory. I just hope, enough ppl participate to improve our Maps.

Actually, if Taiko Adil really, really, really wants the info, he could extract the lists of GPSIDs submitted for
MSM Unlock Codes and do a long and tedious investigation of unit origins. But where is the fun in that?

So everyone give a little la ok?

Cheers to all.