Please consider allowing Patch Function Post at MSM.

Discussions on our website, gatherings and other community issues.

Moderator: Moderators

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

Re: Please consider allowing Patch Function Post at MSM.

#21 Post by adilothman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:10 pm

I think we've gone through this discussion before some months back.

JV and LA is a value added feature which is NOT meant for all Garmin owners. They never intended it that way.

Just like Iphone and Iphone 3G. There are plenty of other similar analogies. You want, you buy. Like the ability to see buildings or have an mp3 player or bluetooth capabilities. If every phone manufacturer practices the art of doing constant firmware updates to give new life to old phones, they would be out of business in no time.

Once we as consumers of electronic goods can accept that value added features are marketing tools, then we won't have to spend time debating about this.

And, as a consumer, we buy goods based on description, fitness for purpose and merchantibility. If we were never promised with XYZ functions on the box, then don't expect it to be added post-sale. And as a GPS unit, it will still meet the description, fitness for purpose and merchantibility - nothing obsolete about it at all.
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
GPS: SIRFstar III

#22 Post by wsian » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:23 pm

gpsbay wrote:There was a time, when Garmin or its distributor claim that using of MSM maps will void their warranty
There was a time, when there were rumours that Garmin will SUE MSM because they use a THIRD PARTY compiler to compile Garmin maps and it affected their Local unit & Map Sales
….

MSM now live under the control of Garmin, shifted their purpose of existence, no longer have the freedom to do things that was the original sight of MSM vision…
You point is, last time MSM can do such such such... and now cannot.
But from the beginning we have never touch on gps device firmware patching, no even upload any official firmware of garmin into our site. My upload of voice files for Que was also removed immediately. Is there a switch?

gpsbay wrote:There was a time, when Garmin or its distributor claim that using of MSM maps will void their warranty
This is still valid till now. It is in official Stan cgpsmapper compiler claim, and in our compiled map using the cgpsmapper compiler release now and future.

gpsbay wrote:There was a time, when there were rumours that Garmin will SUE MSM because they use a THIRD PARTY compiler to compile Garmin maps and it affected their Local unit & Map Sales….
Well, as you said, it was a rumours. THIRD PARTY compiler by Stan is sold in the open market, and we purchase with support given. If garmin wanted sue, let them get Stan first before coming to us.

gpsbay
GPS: HTC 810

#23 Post by gpsbay » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Yes, MSM is just a mapping community, but we are the biggest!

What is MSM objective?

To continue as a community, compile maps and allow all members to use for FREE..

Or to compile maps for commercial entity, Garmin and its distributor to take advantages of?

If the objective of MSM is to maintain as a community, what is stopping MSM to start its own JCV images harvesting?

MFM have done it, what is stopping MSM from doing it?

When we have our own JCV images, is there any more reason why we are not allow to use it in our devices!

If the admin here willing to give the go ahead, I am sure many of us will start working for the JCV images, including me!

Why should MSM be in the mercy of Garmin?

JBNEWGUY_2005
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 765 SgMy

#24 Post by JBNEWGUY_2005 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Noah wrote:Aiyo, you guys take this up with Garmin lah. We're just a mapping community.

I'm going to lock this thread soon as we're going in circles.

Adil has said that he doesn't want our members device to turn into lemons. I think that is a good enough reason.
Somebody spent thousand hour to collect the track/waypoint and post it at here mapping community !!
Now they can see their track/waypoint inside the Garmin official NT map.
Indirectly, this give most advantage for the Localize distributor/dealer to get the benefit from there.

Now the Irresponsible person asked those of the contributor take this up with garmin lah !
They may think that they spent thousand hours to collect track/waypoint,
Now garmin get the benefit from MSM map,
Why they never get any benefit from Garmin ?? Garmin encrypted JCV and don't let them to have the JCV feature.
Who making this wrong ?? Adil ? Noah ?
now who ask them to take it up with garmin ??
Is asking them sell off their Nuvi US/EU/Taiwan, buy localize Nuvi ?
May be Site Admin here think that Garmin MSM NT map without the JCV/Lane assist is already a great benefit return to the person spent time to collect track/POI for MSM.
I think he's completely wrong ! Why ?
The person spent thousand hours collect the track/Waypoint and
The person without any contribution,
both of this person also can get the unlock code for Garmin MSM NT map.
talk about cgpsmapper compile MSM map.
The person without any contribution of double POI or Track,
Can "Hutang" first and get the unlock code !
Do our admin will sure that the person will return the "Hutang" ?
If the person never return the hutang, is our admin will PM the person
Owe money pay money, Owe track pay track, Owe POI pay POI ??
Does it fair to the person make the contribution ?
Please think !

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#25 Post by Zeus73 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:40 pm

I think this thread will be going out of topic soon...

Can someone please lock and/or remove this thread...

Now we are arguing among ourselves... Pple at Garmin could be laughing at us now... :cry:

sarachua
GPS: Garmin 205w

#26 Post by sarachua » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:43 pm

it's ok if a new model is launched with JV enabled.

But to come out with firmwares to limit certain current selling models is a no no.

I bet Iphone and Iphone 3G will not do such a low class act.
adilothman wrote:I think we've gone through this discussion before some months back.

JV and LA is a value added feature which is NOT meant for all Garmin owners. They never intended it that way.

Just like Iphone and Iphone 3G. There are plenty of other similar analogies. You want, you buy. Like the ability to see buildings or have an mp3 player or bluetooth capabilities. If every phone manufacturer practices the art of doing constant firmware updates to give new life to old phones, they would be out of business in no time.

Once we as consumers of electronic goods can accept that value added features are marketing tools, then we won't have to spend time debating about this.

And, as a consumer, we buy goods based on description, fitness for purpose and merchantibility. If we were never promised with XYZ functions on the box, then don't expect it to be added post-sale. And as a GPS unit, it will still meet the description, fitness for purpose and merchantibility - nothing obsolete about it at all.

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#27 Post by Zeus73 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:48 pm

sarachua wrote:it's ok if a new model is launched with JV enabled.

But to come out with firmwares to limit certain current selling models is a no no.

I bet Iphone and Iphone 3G will not do such a low class act.
For your info, nuvi 2x5 series was launched WITHOUT Lane Assist and Junction View feature...

The feature was ADDED later it was launch in TWN, SG/MY and etc... Other regions are NOT getting this feature cos there's already new models to replace the aging nuvi 2x5 series...

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#28 Post by adilothman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:49 pm

Let's try to remain focussed here.

We are not against hacking / patching. You are free to try it, and if it is succesful, then wonderful!

We just don't believe the discussion on such practices should be discussed here.
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
GPS: SIRFstar III

#29 Post by wsian » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm

JBNEWGUY_2005 wrote: I think he's completely wrong ! Why ?
The person spent thousand hours collect the track/Waypoint and
The person without any contribution,
both of this person also can get the unlock code for Garmin MSM NT map.
Let's get this right and contributors please speak out.

Do you contribute with the intention to get special return and rewards? or do you contribute to share with community.

Those member who don't contribute not worthy to get a free map or only entitle to get outdate map? (Don't contribute = not yet know how to contribute, still learning on how to contribute..... )

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner

#30 Post by adilothman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:05 pm

This thread is long waayyy off-topic now and the issue of JV already discussed to death some months back.

If anyone wants to experiment with hacking or patching - you can do it in your own private space. We've removed postings on warez sites and hacking before and this is no different.