MSM Visit To Garmin Taiwan Report

Discussions on our website, gatherings and other community issues.

Moderator: Moderators

stay
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, Nuvi 255W(Asian Set)

Re: MSM Visit To Garmin Taiwan Report

#11 Post by stay » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:30 am

Exciting times ahead. Great news!

Yeah, I was looking for the 'like' button too :mrgreen:

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#12 Post by bartmp8 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:13 am

stay wrote:Exciting times ahead. Great news!

Yeah, I was looking for the 'like' button too :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: Haha, I'm not the only one. Maybe we should also have the "like" +
"Don't Like" button in MSM. Taiko Adil/Wsian, can kah?

vash_h
GPS: Garmin 205W

#13 Post by vash_h » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:18 am

adilothman wrote: What was more revealing was that the loss they make on these sales are actually their budgeted "promotion costs". Just that they don't spend on traditional advertising. Talk about a novel way of thinking out of the box when doing website and shop promotion.
err.. this is actually a very good reason.. they save up on promotions and also the expense of having an physical shop which they have to pay rental, renovation, sales man incentive, commission, basic salary, water etc..)

look at the mobile phones in uk, O2 or vodafone for example.. it is cheaper to get it online than to go to their shop to buy.. also they have 2 sets of promotion.. 1 is for their retail shops and the other is for their online shop. even the phone rates are different. but there is 1 difference.. when u have a problem w ur phone, and u bought it online, u cant bring it to their retail shop, and u have to 'courier' it to their service centres. thats how they make the phones cheaper online, by reducing all the overheads of a retail shop.

i believe it is the same for most merchants in lelong/ebay and even amazon..

badrol
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Nuvi200

#14 Post by badrol » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:32 am

adilothman wrote: What was more revealing was that the loss they make on these sales are actually their budgeted "promotion costs". Just that they don't spend on traditional advertising. Talk about a novel way of thinking out of the box when doing website and shop promotion.
Are you refering to Garmin's practice or "the other internet vendor" as the 1st article indicated that Garmin does not do it?

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#15 Post by ace » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Nice development....

Any discussion to have planned routes transfer from Mapsource to all Nuvi instead of just in the highend models?

And of course, we need 1 sec logging to be visible available..........

Ya....one more thing, how about an antenna jack to an external receiver would be nice for all models. :mrgreen:

So, only Adil and wsian went on the visit?
I don't have free fish......

BanBan
Qualified Mapper
GPS: 60CS, Unbranded MCX ext. antenna, Nuvi 1460, 2565.

#16 Post by BanBan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:25 pm

ace wrote:Nice development....

Any discussion to have planned routes transfer from Mapsource to all Nuvi instead of just in the highend models?

And of course, we need 1 sec logging to be visible available..........

Ya....one more thing, how about an antenna jack to an external receiver would be nice for all models. :mrgreen:

So, only Adil and wsian went on the visit?
Maybe we should have a thread specifically for us to post our wish list or feedback/suggestions on Garmin products. I also think that an external antenna jack is a requirement for certain models. There are other issues that would pop up from time to time. We need a mechanism to ensure that all these feedback/suggestion from seasoned Garmin users get to the right person in Garmin so that right product improvement can be done.
"Aha! Papa got a new toy!" - BanBan (My 3 yr old daughter)

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C

#17 Post by moeyHC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Not surprising an Internet seller can make these low prices as their cost of operation is very low. Maybe we should start direct Sales here in Malaysia/Singapore for the benefit of members... :mrgreen: Any Takers?
MSM Glossary/Index - viewtopic.php?p=57986#p57986

jchoong
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: 2575 + 40LM

#18 Post by jchoong » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:02 am

Adil, thanks for the feedback. Any update on GMXT? Is it confirmed that there will be no further enhancements to GMXT (i.e. dead!)?

SOSweet
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Nuvi 200W, Omnia II + GMXT

#19 Post by SOSweet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:35 am

jchoong wrote:Adil, thanks for the feedback. Any update on GMXT? Is it confirmed that there will be no further enhancements to GMXT (i.e. dead!)?
Bro jchoong, I doubt Taiwan office can provide you with a satisfactorily answer as far as Company policy concern. Taiwan is only a manufacturing facility in Asia. Only Garmin HQ can provide you with a positive "Yes" or "No" to your query.
However, even without any enhancement, we still can use the GMXT to navigate around town without any problem, right ? :lol:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercises & Good Deeds

jchoong
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: 2575 + 40LM

#20 Post by jchoong » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:51 pm

I did write to Garmin a couple of months ago re GMXT and someone from Customer Service (Europe I think) did reply with a "non-reply". In short they told me that GMXT is still available as a product for sale and there is no confirmation that it will be discontinued. They, however, did acknowledge that there have been no software updates over the past 12 months. So, to me, that's a "non-reply".

I agree that GMXT can continue to be used as is; however I would prefer to see enhancements eg. lane assist and junction view. If indeed it is confirmed that GMXT is being discontinued, then I will move on to other GPS software, eg Papago, which now supports iPhone and Androids (could be my next phone!). Also, when Windows Phone 7 is out, I don't think the current GMXT (Windows Mobile version) will run on it.

Thus my interest in the future of GMXT.