Malaysia maps on maps.google.com

Discussions on our website, gatherings and other community issues.

Moderator: Moderators

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

Re: Malaysia maps on maps.google.com

#21 Post by adilothman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:14 am

We will get to bottom of this. Stay tuned ...
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#22 Post by cruiser » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:07 am

antyong wrote:I have looked at some parts of the map. Googlemaps roads look different from ours. The road names do mirror ours asall the significant contributors' nickname are there. I will discuss with Adil tomorrow to see what we can do.

I hope Antyong and Adil has a strong case to take up on this open theft without any prior or legal consent and that MSM will soon become an Authority on its own initiatives as undertakings like no other and any proven theft is liable for compensation for all the hard work put/contributed by all involved!!!

:rokz:
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

fazlimnor
Regular
Regular
GPS: HOLUX 236 + ASUS P525

#23 Post by fazlimnor » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:49 am

Previously i tracked Bandar Baru Bangi Seksyen 8 without "Jalan 8/27D", but google maps also seems has use same tracklog as mine :D ... their map also doesnt have "Jalan 8/27D"

if they use their own source, for sure they cannot missed "Jalan 8/27D" in that area Hmm... something fishy here

But now i've contributed my tracklog for that area with "Jalan 8/27D" in our latest map
bbb.JPG
bbb.JPG (44.95 KiB) Viewed 1676 times

ajay
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: PAPAGO M9; nuvi 205W

#24 Post by ajay » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:11 am

probably mix & match from malsing & other sources. for example in BBBangi one surau (jubli perak) is listed in google map but not in malsing while another surau (al-kausar) is vice versa..
ask not (just) what malsingmaps can do for you
ask what you can do for malsingmaps (also)

topoguy
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPS 60 CSx

#25 Post by topoguy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:17 am

This case shows that malsingmaps is a respected authority on mapping :mrgreen: =D>

karlbum
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: none

#26 Post by karlbum » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:35 pm

topoguy wrote:This case shows that malsingmaps is a respected authority on mapping :mrgreen: =D>
its the opposite for me, if they respect us at least give us credit where it is due. not just grabbing our hard work like this.

but as far as i am checking right now, the source for gua musang at least is a bit diff from malsing. havent gone through my hometown pasir mas yet.

declan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#27 Post by declan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:59 pm

the google maps seem to be more detailed for Ipoh

edit: more detailed in some areas, less detailed in others

however, i think they were using malsingmaps for names as some mistakes in naming also came up in the google maps
Last edited by declan on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muzz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#28 Post by muzz » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:04 pm

karlbum wrote:
topoguy wrote:This case shows that malsingmaps is a respected authority on mapping :mrgreen: =D>
its the opposite for me, if they respect us at least give us credit where it is due. not just grabbing our hard work like this.

but as far as i am checking right now, the source for gua musang at least is a bit diff from malsing. havent gone through my hometown pasir mas yet.
i don't think google is aware of this issue when they include the maps. very likely they paid $$$ for the map data. its the company that supplied the data that should be questioned.

offroadlanna
GPS: 60C, 60CX, II Plus, Nuvi 200

#29 Post by offroadlanna » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Saw a few weeks ago an article here in Thailand in "The Nation" newspaper that TeleAtlas NV was becoming vary active in Thailand as well as Singapore and Malaysia. They had their first mapping vehicle operational and were planning to add more vehicles to their fleet to GPS/map roads, etc. in these three countries.

Considering that there are a quite a few "movements" in the mapping business with both Navteq and TeleAtlas being bought up by competitors of Garmin one can expect that companies are trying to secure data sources through a variety of sources.

tympg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Holux Slim 236 + Dopod 838pro (WM6); Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

#30 Post by tympg » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:21 pm

Looking at the Penang area of the map, there quite a few inaccuracies, some of which have nothing to do with the real roads out there.

And I don't where they got the idea that Bayan Lepas Expressway is E1.