Setting up newco to license our maps

Discussions on our website, gatherings and other community issues.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you agree?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:03 pm

YES
89%
NO
11%

Total votes: 557

antyong
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Garmin LegendC
Nokia E65 + Mobile10x

Re: Setting up newco to license our maps

#41 Post by antyong » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:39 pm

datan wrote:just wondering, the official mappers must have sunk in their own costs like buying software eg. cgpsmapper.
is it possible for them to get some form of reimbursement?
NO. I contributed my own money to upgrade our compiler. I have no intention of asking for reimbursement.
A new beginning.....

antyong
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Garmin LegendC
Nokia E65 + Mobile10x

#42 Post by antyong » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:41 pm

alextcc wrote:This is a good news for malsingmaps. :good: BUT this also worried us because shall we pay for the map license also in future? Will the malsingmaps continue to be free for members with contributions like now?

When this become a business and related to money, a lot of thing need to be considered. Will the directors still have enough attention on handle Malsingmaps.com well? Money should be manage carefully.

Me same like bro ayozzhero, I enjoy the map when I contribute and it hurts me when the place I live missing in the maps.

I vote for YES :thumbsup: Good job Malsingmaps
That's why I am not a director. I will be here to contribute to Malsingmaps.
A new beginning.....

alextcc
GPS: HP iPAQ 6515

Re: Licensing our maps - positive criticism

#43 Post by alextcc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:42 pm

9W6VX wrote:I also sincerely believe malsingmaps should continue to remain status quo in terms of being 'non profit oriented' as it serves the GPS enthusiasts of Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. The only income derived should be from the licensing of the maps to the MNC.
I agreed that. Remain the status of 'contributions for unlock code' and 'pay license for commercial use'. :thumbsup:

:good:

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#44 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:58 pm

No objections on my part.

It is important that the board of directors formulate a legal binding document for stakeholders that define and communicate the objectives and scope of the formation of the new company. This is very important for future reference in case of disputes.

datan
GPS: Garmin nuvi 610

#45 Post by datan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:59 pm

I also agree that the licensing agreement must be carefully vetted in terms of:
- indemnity for any errors in the map, whether deliberate or negligent or whatever
- how often they expect updates
- who would deal with their users and their users' requests/complaints
- what happens if their users try to get free maps directly from malsingmaps.com instead of through the auto manufacturer (which presumably charges them for upgrades)? Will they put any conditions such as malsingmaps is not allowed to offer any free maps to their customers?
- what happens if the community is wound up? Are you protected from any claims?

what other legal ramifications such as:
- some software such as cgpsmapper have different versions of their software depending on whether or not it is for commercial use. Would all the mappers have to upgrade to the versions which allow commercial use?

- would all contributors to future maps (eg. track or error reports) have to sign some kind of disclaimer waiving all their rights for each report they contribute? This is similar to how opensource contributors assign their individual copyright to the project. for example check out this: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-09/msg00678.html

- how to deal with users who deliberately or inadvertently contribute copyrighted information eg. POI points from other mash-ups etc.

- jurisdiction. where will the newco be set up. can be quite important in dealing with legal claims. must have a clause that all claims will be arbitrated in that jurisdiction

- is it necessary to set up a rigorous change control system in case of any disputes or to pinpoint when a certain change was made to the maps? say some entity sues you for copyright violation. in order to file a defense, you might need to point to a system (with sufficient logs and audit trails) that can verify that the work done on the maps are not derivative of any copyrighted material.

I think that copyright law is sticky and you want to think through all the ramifications before going through with this.

jackling
GPS: GPS II+, GPS V, Quest, 76CSX, Holux BT module, Nuvi750

#46 Post by jackling » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:01 pm

Can I ask if the new company will accept $ payment for updated maps? Is it in the ability of this new company to start charging for maps?

Personally, I don't mind paying, say, SGD10.00 for an updated map. This should be a locked map for only 1 unique GPSr. Furthermore, the $10 could buy multiple updates for a period of 1 year. Again the price of SGD10, SGD20 or whatever can be discussed.

I have been following this forum (and it's predecessor) for a few years. If I have the time, I'll explore "ulu" parts of Singapore for possible contributions to get the latest maps. I just bought a new GPSr last month, but I don't have the time to go looking for new contributions. I'm stuck with the older unlocked maps. It works, but I just feel I NEED to have the latest map on my GPSr.

For the voting - YES. But all the advise given especially from those with experience in MNC, copyright issues etc should be considered. I'm sure legal advise is sought before this all goes into action. As the Chinese saying goes "Think thrice before action".
cheers,
jack

GPSII+ -> GPS V -> Quest, 76CSx, Holux BT module

kissnight
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 205W, Nuvi 710, iPhone, 2 cats

#47 Post by kissnight » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:18 pm

Many have spoken, I agree that the money part is touchy,
let's forget about the distribution,
let's plow back the money into MSM, be it servers, softwares for mappers, bigger harddisk space, etc...

Yes, yes yes, me and my cat support this 100%...
Bravo.. and well done,everybody......
sista kissnightImage

Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 765 SG/MY

#48 Post by 168 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:27 pm

antyong wrote: That's why I am not a director. I will be here to contribute to Malsingmaps.
It is this spirit that I am proud to be here, and why I have been recommending MSM to my friends===="MONEY CAN'T BUY "

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
GPS: SIRFstar III

#49 Post by wsian » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:28 pm

datan wrote: - indemnity for any errors in the map, whether deliberate or negligent or whatever
- how often they expect updates
- who would deal with their users and their users' requests/complaints
- what happens if their users try to get free maps directly from malsingmaps.com instead of through the auto manufacturer (which presumably charges them for upgrades)? Will they put any conditions such as malsingmaps is not allowed to offer any free maps to their customers?
- what happens if the community is wound up? Are you protected from any claims?
The basics for the deal are:
- we are not selling the source, just licensing to use
- take the map as it is now, perhaps just some minor clean up
- it is not a retail sales, just bundled with the car gps
- of course, with our disclaimer statement.
datan wrote: what other legal ramifications such as:
- some software such as cgpsmapper ....
We have the commercial version. So expensive, we can only afford to have one, and only one.

useryst
GPS: Garmin

#50 Post by useryst » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:30 pm

Wondering forming the newco, who will the the stakeholders of the newco ? Assuming the newco is a limited company. Will the newco goes thru all the proble procedure of the company's act such as AGM etc.