Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Do you agree?
Poll ended at Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:03 pm
YES 89%  89%  [ 493 ]
NO 11%  11%  [ 64 ]
Total votes : 557
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:45 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
dinita wrote:
Bro. Honky 3x Man..Desicion has been made, polling yes or no not make sence, comment also just a comment.. :mrgreen:

I will honk u.... ..if i see yr car

Bro/Sis dinita,

Sorry you did not see the good in licensing our maps. First and foremost the decision lies in your (our) hands. If the majority voted No than it will not happen. But, take a step back and realize that by licensing it we can now have the power to upgrade our Mapping Utilities. All along our mappers have been using their own resources to procure these Utilities for our benefit. Monies that could have benefited their loved ones. They have done it because GPS and mapping is their hobby and passion. Another good thing that will happen is the contributions to the needy. I sure this small amount to them will bring a smile on their faces.

Since they (MNC) will be getting "Reliable Maps" (as per Bro Wsian's post) that otherwise will be kept as achieve it will not undermine the benefit we members here enjoyed. In fact, we need to work harder to ensure our maps are free from defect when we release it to the MNC.

Hope you are able to see the light at the other end of the equation.... have a great weekend... cheers!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:07 pm 

GPS: Nokia 6110 nevi + GMXT
Ya I agree, cos with this we can improve alotz more detail on the map, congrate to Antyong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:34 am 

GPS: Nuvi 200, Nokia 6110
I would say a "YES", as long as the nature of this community stay unchange.

When :$gone: is involved, so do :evil: EVIL :evil: ....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:21 am 
Regular
Regular

GPS: StreetPilot C510 (UK), nuvi 660 (TWN), nuvi 770 (US), Nokia E71
At present, votes are 88% in favour. With the setting up of a newco, I'd like to broach one issue:

As the product develops, it matures, becomes more extensive & stabilizes. However, roads don't get built every month; banks, petrol stations & makan joints, etc don't just open & close very often. As such, contributors may find it increasingly difficult to contribute meaningfully (e.g. can any ol' kacang putih stall really be a relevant POI?). Over time, to put in the minimun 2 contributions to the maps for a set of unlock codes gets more challenging, more so when one has 2 or more GPSr units.

Since the newco would be selling licences to the MNC(s), can it not also sell licences to monthly updates to contributors here for a nominal fee? The latest maps won't be guaranteed error-free (for as long as we are humans), and the newco could benefit from a larger base of "beta testers". Perhaps contributions are still requisite on the first GPSr unit, but nominal sales can be made to additional units?

If this is going off-tangent to the thread topic, maybe it can be moved. But is the above worth a considersation?

Just looking ahead to the horizon...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

GPS: SIRFstar III
amrirahman wrote:
As the product develops, it matures, becomes more extensive & stabilizes....
Over time, to put in the minimun 2 contributions to the maps for a set of unlock codes gets more challenging..

You still don't get it. The main purpose of Malsingmaps setup is to share. If we can ever grow that well and come to a stage where contributions are so difficult, as you mentioned, we will consider give out unlock code without requesting anything.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:15 pm 

GPS: Garmin nuvi 200W
Yes, that would be OK.

However, I will advice that we have some sort of GPL-like licensing that will make the licensees contribute back to MSM since they will probably hire people to clean up the maps of any errors prior to shipping their products. We will want those updates to our maps too. This will enable a better and more accelerated MSM growth.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:43 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

GPS: Garmin LegendC
Nokia E65 + Mobile10x
Poll result:
YES - 493
NO - 64

88.5% of voters are in favour of licensing. I will merge the other criticism topic into this topic.

Now that the community has decided, I will leave it to Adil to bring the proposal to fruition.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:08 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

GPS: Garmin LegendC
Nokia E65 + Mobile10x
Malsingmaps will still be run as a community of enthusiast. This I will assure as long as I am active. We had kicked the pros' @ss over and over again until they find it necessary to copy our hard work. It will be foolish of us not to maintain our current way.

Money can be good but can also be bad. The key is to wisely use the money for the benefit of the community. Over the years, I have heard many initiatives, from re-mapping to new map formats. They almost always die down silently. I will be observing how this new initiative will work out and what benefits are actually brought to Malsingmaps.

We are still at a crossroad. I hope we will take the right path and do the right thing, as we had always done up to now :D

:rokz:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17