Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next

Do you agree?
Poll ended at Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:03 pm
YES 89%  89%  [ 493 ]
NO 11%  11%  [ 64 ]
Total votes : 557
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:52 pm 

GPS: now - nuvi 2565
old - nuvi 610
(not used holux)
antyong wrote:
Dear members,

We have been approached by a major MNC car manufacturer to supply their navigation units with our maps. Other than the pride of seeing our hardwork recognised, we feel that we can put the money from map licensing to good use for the benefit of the community.

Briefly, this is how it will work:
- A new company will be set up to deal with the licensee.
- Mappers will grant newco the right to license our maps for a period of 18 months.
- The directors of the newco (most likely Jerome, Wsian, Dynamix, BernGPS and Sunn) and Adil as MD, will decide on the best use of the money received. Antyong is not a director.
- 2 important clause will be added to the Memorandum and Article of Association of newco (A) individual claims are not permited hence the money will be use for community purpose only (B) excess money will be divided equally among GSPMappers members on the winding up of newco
- A special version of our maps will be created for the licensee.
- There will be no change to the operation of Malsingmaps

Our mappers are acknowledged to be owners for our maps. However, because this an important and often controversial issue, we would like your wise opinion. The harmony of the Malsingmaps community is most important. I hope this issue won't divide us bitterly and the minority respect the majority's wish and continue to improve our maps.

We have gone through 2 rounds of discussions and voting. The 5 mappers had agreed unanimously. Members of GPSMappers.net are currently voting 86-1 in favour. The last round of voting will be conducted here.

All recepient of unlock codes, being acknowledge as contributors to the maps, will be eligible to vote. Recepients of last year's unlock codes please PM me if you are not able to access the polling forum.

There are at least 700 eligible voters. Please vote if you are eligible.

Please ask your questions here at this topic

congratulations... great map need a great place to be seen...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:55 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Garmin
I vote YES!

Nothing could be more satisfying to be recognised for all the efforts put in by members esp. the founding members.....

It's the right step towards protecting the interests of Malsingmaps....

I strongly support this initiative......

:good:

=D>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:56 pm 

GPS: Garmin eTrex Vista Cx
In my opinion, this is a very good news to our community but yet challenging. Moving from 'community developed maps' to a 'commercial maps' gonna be very challenging. Although I also don't really have experience in business, but I would like to advise to carefully do the agreement with the automotive company that we are going to deal with.

Anyway, I still believe this is another great achievement from our community. Keep up the good work. I wish we all success always.

I definitely vote "YES". Where the excess money should go to? Just 1 thing come our from my mind. Maybe can sponsor for gatherings and informal classes for the newbie.

Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:00 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: XXX
Yes..i agreed with all...give the money to the charity...but make sure Malsingmaps.com has it share first. :mrgreen:

Bravo to all, now we can hao lian to tell people that poi i contribute one.... :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:00 pm 

GPS: Garmin NUVI 200 with MALSING maps and USA 2008
I believe this is a good way to get funding to improve services and equipment need to support the MALSING maps community. In that regard I am in FAVOUR of this arrangement.

However with long experince working in a MNC, I would like to caution whoever signs the agreements with the automotive manufacturer, to refer to the indemnification clause and third party claims. There may be another aspect for the automotive company wanting to adopt MALSING maps s/w i.e. discussion with Garmin or whichever GPS platform supplier they intend to use. THe onus of any infrignement or usage of the platform itself should be the responsibility of the MNC requesting the license. Lastly the responsibility of fixing customer complaints/support should be settled before hand. The automitive industry has stringent standards therefore even simple tasks can be tedious in terms of support.

This forum has brought a lot of independence from map suppliers and encouraged enthusiatic contributions, this essence of the forum must be preserved, as rightly pointed out by antyong.

my best wishes to the new venture! Just my 2c worth :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:01 pm 

GPS: Garmin Mobile XT
primus2211 wrote:
Hi Folks,

2-cents from a newbie, the $$$ from the licensing probably would be best utilised in the following priority?

1. Purchase of software and necessary equipment for further advancement of Malsingmaps?
2. Token fee for the admins and directors who has to put up with the various troublemakers (e.g. myself)?
3. Charitable contributions

YEA in favour!

This is more clear to me.. =D> And i said yes!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:04 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

GPS: Nüvi 710, Nüvi 200W, GMPC on Q1U with 10x, GMXT on N6110, Omnia and Innov8
This is a great opportunity.

Definitely YES.

:good:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:05 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Location: Coverage - Penang, Kedah, Perak, Selangor, KL, Putrajaya, NS and Melaka
GPS: Asus P535, Mapking, GMXT + Active Antenna
What's the contributors status - do they have to pay for the license fee?
Please clarify this senario - the license user cum also the MSM member.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:06 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: GPS60Cxs, GPS60Cx, Nuvi 200
antyong wrote:
libra6868 wrote:
i am all in favour.......but as to clause B....since there are so many members here...and the contribution is not equal....is not easy to divide the money.....why dun donate to a charity that the directors decide......

On using proceeds, the first priority is to upgrade or buy whatever needed for our community. Then comes charity and donations to emergency funds.

Dividing up the money, to GPSmapper members (not Malsingmaps members), is the last resort. We will do this if there is bitter argument on the usage of proceed which threaten to destroy the relationship between directors. If we really reach this stage, I will surely stop granting newco the rights to license my maps.

To me i still prefer to fully run under a non-profit company, which does not give a chance for ownself beneficial... I see it if there's a chance of dividing profit, people will start to create problems and defeat the purpose of the MSM. This might not happen now but will happen in future... Basically i agree with this thing, but to the clause B i reserve my agreement on that... I support for giving to old folks home or ophanage house, hospital, school or even library.

Just my opinion. Will definately respect the majority!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:06 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: 60CSX
I am honoured to be able to voice my thoughts.

I have not been long here but have had many chats with Bern and I like the community contribution.

I support this move as it will enable malsingmaps to move forward to do other projects related to our GPS hobby.

As to the directors of the newco, I agree that it should go to the senior mappers who have for all intents and purposes sacrificed their personal time and money to give us the maps that we have today.

As to the two (2) clauses mentioned, I think they are prudent but:
Clause 'A' will have to be specifically clearer in terms of how the money will be used for community purpose.
Clause 'B' in my humble opinion would be more beneficial if the monies were to be donated to charitable and deserving organizations in the event of the winding up of the newco.

I would not have any issues with the directors of the newco being owners of the maps. I believe that the senior mappers are sensible and will have the interests of malsingmaps at heart.

I also sincerely believe malsingmaps should continue to remain status quo in terms of being 'non profit oriented' as it serves the GPS enthusiasts of Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. The only income derived should be from the licensing of the maps to the MNC.

My humble 2 cents.

Thank you.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next