STOP take a minute and think about it

Discussions on our website, gatherings and other community issues.

Moderator: Moderators

endura
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin 60Csx

STOP take a minute and think about it

#1 Post by endura » Sun May 11, 2008 10:39 pm

My expatriate friend relay this story to me today about his encounter with a GPS shop in digital mall. He went there to get a SD card for his Nuvi. I think it’s the 3rd floor shop by the escalator (I’ve never been to GPS shop in Digital Mall). The shop guy asked him why he needed the SD card. So he explained that he got trouble installing the Malsing’s maps into the SD card. The guy offer to install the latest Malsingmaps for him for a fee of fifty bucks (Rm50). My friend decline the offer cause here taught that why should he pay when he too have contributed to making the maps.

My fellow map trackers think for a minute here. Why are you wasting your fuel and time going around tracking unmapped area and someone in Digital mall take advantage of your work to make money?

I have stop contributing to Malsingmaps long time ago because I don’t want to be a soh chai, siow kea, badut or clown anymore.
Read it here:
http://www.malsingmaps.com/oldforum/mod ... sc&start=0

http://www.malsingmaps.com/oldforum/mod ... highlight=

NEWS for map councilor, your locked maps fail to STOP privacy. But then you say there is no way you can stop this kind of situation.

So I am seeking all trackers to STOP contributing to malsingmaps so this people who make money from you will stop their unethical act.

ahbahari
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 200 v3.4; eTrex Vista HCx + PC mobile Re Radiating antenna

Re: STOP take a minute and think about it

#2 Post by ahbahari » Sun May 11, 2008 10:59 pm

endura wrote:My expatriate friend relay this story to me today about his encounter with a GPS shop in digital mall. He went there to get a SD card for his Nuvi. I think it’s the 3rd floor shop by the escalator (I’ve never been to GPS shop in Digital Mall). The shop guy asked him why he needed the SD card. So he explained that he got trouble installing the Malsing’s maps into the SD card. The guy offer to install the latest Malsingmaps for him for a fee of fifty bucks (Rm50). My friend decline the offer cause here taught that why should he pay when he too have contributed to making the maps.

My fellow map trackers think for a minute here. Why are you wasting your fuel and time going around tracking unmapped area and someone in Digital mall take advantage of your work to make money?

I have stop contributing to Malsingmaps long time ago because I don’t want to be a soh chai, siow kea, badut or clown anymore.
Read it here:

NEWS for map councilor, your locked maps fail to STOP privacy. But then you say there is no way you can stop this kind of situation.

So I am seeking all trackers to STOP contributing to malsingmaps so this people who make money from you will stop their unethical act.
Any senior bro care to comment regarding this?

Is this true? :shock:
Come on Gunners..

kuchingguy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: gps76csx, gps76csx, gps72, nokia n96,10x,Holux m241

#3 Post by kuchingguy » Sun May 11, 2008 11:02 pm

endura wrote:My expatriate friend relay this story to me today about his encounter with a GPS shop in digital mall. He went there to get a SD card for his Nuvi. I think it’s the 3rd floor shop by the escalator (I’ve never been to GPS shop in Digital Mall). The shop guy asked him why he needed the SD card. So he explained that he got trouble installing the Malsing’s maps into the SD card. The guy offer to install the latest Malsingmaps for him for a fee of fifty bucks (Rm50). My friend decline the offer cause here taught that why should he pay when he too have contributed to making the maps.

Read it here:

For me, i did not upload my unmapped data but just email or pass it to the sifu. Can that be done ???? or it is also just wasting our time also ????
SORRY . My English is not that good. I am doing my best to improve! Thank You.

ahbahari
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#4 Post by ahbahari » Sun May 11, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm still remember when I bought my first nuvi, the vendor promised me to install the latest map. When I ask is it legal... he said don't worry, it's ok.
Come on Gunners..

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

#5 Post by sabre23t » Sun May 11, 2008 11:19 pm

endura wrote:So I am seeking all trackers to STOP contributing to malsingmaps so this people who make money from you will stop their unethical act.
That's Cutting off the nose to spite the face.

I'm for free maps. I don't ask for any payments for the tracks contributions I've made and will make to Malsingmaps (and other free maps ventures such as Mapcenter2 and OpenStreetMap). If I get a thank you or smile from a satisfied user of the free map I've contributed to, that's a bonus to me.

I do not think some vendor charging RM50 to someone too lazy to download and/or contribute POIs to Malsingmaps would lessen by a single iota my bonus of that thank you or smile from a satisfied Malsingmaps user.

If you think like me, you'll continue contributing tracks to Malsingmaps. Just like the kind donors of food for victims of disaster would continue donating, even though there are some unscrupulous victims who would sell those donated food. #-o
The world is MyMaps!

tympg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Holux Slim 236 + Dopod 838pro (WM6); Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

#6 Post by tympg » Sun May 11, 2008 11:26 pm

No matter what things which happen out there, I can't help but continue to track & map, 'cause I'm hooked. :nutz: :mrgreen:

I was going to say"cutting of your nose to spite your face" but Sabre beat me to it. :D

bernGPS
Senior Mapper
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx

#7 Post by bernGPS » Sun May 11, 2008 11:37 pm

Dont worry lah endura. Those guys will rot somewhere also.

Wasting time? Definately and agree with you 100% but I do have some time to waste and I get to see areas that I might not have thought seeing if I had not gone tracking. I wouldnt have found Ulu Slim Hot Spring in Ulu Slim or Ulu Tamu Hot Spring in Batang Kali if I had not gone tracking.

I made a lot of new friends in KK, Sandakan and now even Tawau.

tecrc
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Nokia 5800, Nroute + Lenovo S10-2 with built-in GPS

#8 Post by tecrc » Sun May 11, 2008 11:38 pm

I think at the end of the day we have to ask ourselves the question what are we in it for? Nothing that we do or can do will stop eveything that is happening around us but if we all think like that i think the world will be a much worse off place.

Sure we can't always change everything or stop it but i am sure bit by bit we can make a difference. Choice is always ours. We cannot change what others do but we can change what we do.... Think about that.... :mrgreen:

tuah
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Asus P535, Mapking, GMXT + Active Antenna
Location: Coverage - Penang, Kedah, Perak, Selangor, KL, Putrajaya, NS and Melaka

#9 Post by tuah » Sun May 11, 2008 11:40 pm

Tell our members to STOP getting assistance from whoever they are. Two POIs are nothing much as compared with a bowl of Mamak Cendol :mrgreen:
To Strive, To Seek, To Find and Not To Yield

ahbahari
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#10 Post by ahbahari » Sun May 11, 2008 11:56 pm

tuah wrote:Tell our members to STOP getting assistance from whoever they are. Two POIs are nothing much as compared with a bowl of Mamak Cendol :mrgreen:
I'm totally agreed with Bro tuah. So sorry bro kelvin :nehneh: . I don't think I will ever go to your shop and will never recommend to my friends neither but I will still contributing as I'm in debt to MSM that make my life better than yesterday :prayer:
Come on Gunners..