STOP take a minute and think about it

Discussions on our website, gatherings and other community issues.

Moderator: Moderators

asichia
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: GPSMap 60CSX

Re: STOP take a minute and think about it

#41 Post by asichia » Tue May 13, 2008 3:00 pm

9W2CBL wrote:I will still contribute to malsingmap that have save my life easy when I goes into unknown places.

Agree :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: =D> =D> =D>

tsechien
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 660, Nokia E61i running GXT with a 10X and GPSMAP 76CS (and a old Garmin GPS40)

#42 Post by tsechien » Tue May 13, 2008 4:51 pm

After thinking about this, treat the RM50 not as much as selling the free maps but rather as a workmanship fee imposed on somebody too lazy or too elementary for booting up his own PC, slotting the SD card into the USB card reader, waiting for it to show up as an external HDD and using CTRL C and CTRL V to paste the minute gmapsupp.img into the Garmin folder (oh yeah workmanship also includes a "free bonus" New Folder creation in the root directory o the SD card).

In other parts of the world, the service part of this would be the bulk of the costs paid rather than the actual product delivered.
Garmin User Since 1992

turbosnail
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Vista B&W, Vista HCx

#43 Post by turbosnail » Tue May 13, 2008 10:43 pm

Bro Endura, I feel for you. Please come out and explain why you are posting this before damage is done. You posted your frustration with a reason, and your intention may be good. I hate to see your message has been misintepreted.

toda_k20
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPS76CSx, Nuvi 360

#44 Post by toda_k20 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:06 pm

endura wrote:My expatriate friend relay this story to me today about his encounter with a GPS shop in digital mall. He went there to get a SD card for his Nuvi. I think it’s the 3rd floor shop by the escalator (I’ve never been to GPS shop in Digital Mall). The shop guy asked him why he needed the SD card. So he explained that he got trouble installing the Malsing’s maps into the SD card. The guy offer to install the latest Malsingmaps for him for a fee of fifty bucks (Rm50). My friend decline the offer cause here taught that why should he pay when he too have contributed to making the maps.

My fellow map trackers think for a minute here. Why are you wasting your fuel and time going around tracking unmapped area and someone in Digital mall take advantage of your work to make money?

I have stop contributing to Malsingmaps long time ago because I don’t want to be a soh chai, siow kea, badut or clown anymore.
Read it here:
http://www.malsingmaps.com/oldforum/mod ... sc&start=0

http://www.malsingmaps.com/oldforum/mod ... highlight=

NEWS for map councilor, your locked maps fail to STOP privacy. But then you say there is no way you can stop this kind of situation.

So I am seeking all trackers to STOP contributing to malsingmaps so this people who make money from you will stop their unethical act.

I am in support of the spirit of malsingmaps community towards combined mapping efforts and free maps for everyone (updated ones for regular contributors of course).

Recently, I went through the process of getting my friend into using GPS and having him download and install the maps on his newly purchased GPS so that he can in turn start contributing. What I can say is the entire process from the installation is indeed beyond even an above average IT literate person can comfortably manage.

Maybe the problem lies with Garmin's design ? Maybe Mapsource? Maybe the instructions here ? I am not sure which is which but I think it is abit of everything.

I just wish all these process can be made easier for new adopters..

GPSPowered
Regular
Regular
GPS: Authorised Garmin Retailer at Digital Mall, PJ.

#45 Post by GPSPowered » Wed May 14, 2008 12:43 pm

toda_k20 wrote: Recently, I went through the process of getting my friend into using GPS and having him download and install the maps on his newly purchased GPS so that he can in turn start contributing. What I can say is the entire process from the installation is indeed beyond even an above average IT literate person can comfortably manage.

Maybe the problem lies with Garmin's design ? Maybe Mapsource? Maybe the instructions here ? I am not sure which is which but I think it is abit of everything.

I just wish all these process can be made easier for new adopters..
Yes, it is very tedious, especially for nuvi users who cannot get the gps coordinates from the device. I've been through the discussions with a number of members and so far, nothing can be done yet. I believes it can be simplified but it will take some time to do that..

Also, for newbies, please read the wiki 1st then ask the relevant questions....

Cheers, Kelvin.

simseair
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Forerunner 305
60CSx
nuvi 200w

#46 Post by simseair » Wed May 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to add my 2 sens worth.

MSM is the best free map available that I have seen. No other country has a free map of this quality. This is an indication of the commitment of the MSM community especially the leaders.

When I first started using GPS, I bought a Garmin map of S'pore & Malaysia. Right now, it is sitting in my drawer and not being used at all. Why? This is a commercial map but I hate to see a lot of empty space especially in the rural areas. The Garmin map only focuses on major cities.

If there is no MSM, most of us will still be using the Garmin map (or equivalent). I will probably be frustrated to see a lot of empty spaces on the map. At least right now, we are able to decide if there are areas that we want to see appearing in the map.

One of the biggest highlights that I have is to see my small hometown appearing on the MSM in full detail. If I were to wait for Garmin, I am not sure if I am able to see my hometown being mapped at all.

Of course, there will be others who will take advantage of the free map. But this happens anywhere. I was looking for a US map and a vendor in Singapore offered me the map for S$200 instead of the usual S$250. (Why should I pay almost full price for a hacked map?) So, you see, even Garmin maps are hacked and offered for sale.

If you are living in a country that is not mapped, you will probably be very glad that there are people who sacrificed their time and money to come up with a free map like MSM.

Guys, keep up the good work and keep the MSM community alive. :good: :tq: :thumbsup: =D>

wahladino
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi200W, Nuvi200,CO300

#47 Post by wahladino » Sun May 18, 2008 6:27 pm

endura wrote:My expatriate friend relay this story to me today about his encounter with a GPS shop in digital mall. He went there to get a SD card for his Nuvi. I think it’s the 3rd floor shop by the escalator (I’ve never been to GPS shop in Digital Mall). The shop guy asked him why he needed the SD card. So he explained that he got trouble installing the Malsing’s maps into the SD card. The guy offer to install the latest Malsingmaps for him for a fee of fifty bucks (Rm50). My friend decline the offer cause here taught that why should he pay when he too have contributed to making the maps.

My fellow map trackers think for a minute here. Why are you wasting your fuel and time going around tracking unmapped area and someone in Digital mall take advantage of your work to make money?

I have stop contributing to Malsingmaps long time ago because I don’t want to be a soh chai, siow kea, badut or clown anymore.
Read it here:
http://www.malsingmaps.com/oldforum/mod ... sc&start=0

http://www.malsingmaps.com/oldforum/mod ... highlight=

NEWS for map councilor, your locked maps fail to STOP privacy. But then you say there is no way you can stop this kind of situation.

So I am seeking all trackers to STOP contributing to malsingmaps so this people who make money from you will stop their unethical act.

To advocate the above have you remove your installed malsing map from your unit ?

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: n95+gmxt, vista hcx

#48 Post by jans_wkh » Mon May 19, 2008 11:52 am

wahladino wrote: To advocate the above have you remove your installed malsing map from your unit ?
Hi wahladino, I know it's hard not to add to the thread, but I think much has been said and on top of that antyong has issue a ultimatum for endura, so I guess it's not appropriate for you and I to judge or comment about endura now. :wink:

jeremaze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
GPS: Holux & GARMIN

#49 Post by jeremaze » Mon May 19, 2008 1:23 pm

Can Malsingmaps put Water Mark in the map with " THIS IS FREE MAP, FREE OF CHARGE!!!", Water Mark showing when Zoom out to certain scale. Then those who pay Rm50 for the free map will then feel being cheated?

ahbahari
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 200 v3.4; eTrex Vista HCx + PC mobile Re Radiating antenna

#50 Post by ahbahari » Mon May 19, 2008 10:38 pm

jeremaze wrote:Can Malsingmaps put Water Mark in the map with " THIS IS FREE MAP, FREE OF CHARGE!!!", Water Mark showing when Zoom out to certain scale. Then those who pay Rm50 for the free map will then feel being cheated?
Or we could put in the same page as before we press the agree to use the map button THIS IS FREE MAP, FREE OF CHARGE. Only then they will realize that the seller is cheating on them
Come on Gunners..