Map - General Discussion

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

Re: Garmin with Mac OSX

#31 Post by bartmp8 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:06 pm

leeboonseah wrote:Anyone know how to update maps using Mac OS with Garmin GPSmap 96C?
Firstly, I assume you are talking about MSM maps and you are are currently using the open map (v2.15).
FYI, our latest map (v2.30) is locked and only available to Members who have made mapping data or
feedback contributions. Seeing this is your first post, I doubt you have made any mapping contributions.

How and what can I contribute to obtain unlock codes? is a good place for you to read.

Secondly, have you installed Mapsource? (I have to admit, I don't know if Mapsource will work in mac). You'll
need mapsource to generate the Gmapsupp file to use in your GPSr.

To learn how to install Mapsource (again not sure if its the same for Mac):

How to Install Mapsource

Pay extra attention to the last section.

Do yourself a favour and read Newbie Pitstop

orgsyn
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 205w and 2465

#32 Post by orgsyn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:12 pm

You need to first install the maps in Mapsource in Windows then use Map Converter for Windows to convert to the format for RoadTrip for the Mac. Now you have either the option of transferring your updated maps through RoadTrip to your GPSr or if you have previously created the gmapsupp.img whilst installing your maps in Mapsource, to copy that to your GPSr (mounted as a USB volume)

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

orgsyn
Regular
Regular

#33 Post by orgsyn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:22 pm

bartmp8 wrote: Secondly, have you installed Mapsource? (I have to admit, I don't know if Mapsource will work in mac). You'll
need mapsource to generate the Gmapsupp file to use in your GPSr.

To learn how to install Mapsource (again not sure if its the same for Mac):

How to Install Mapsource
The Mac equivalent of Mapsource is RoadTrip. The malsingmaps have to be converted in windows with Map Converter for Windows for it to be read in RoadTrip. If his Mac is an Intel Mac, he's need to install Bootcamp for a DOS partition, install Windows in that partition and so on or use Crossover/Parallels/VMware (virtualisation environments)

sfw578
GPS: nuvi260

Garmin Novi 260 cannot locate gm-malaysia/singapore v2.15

#34 Post by sfw578 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:45 pm

Hello all

I has copy the gmapsupp.img into \Garmin\ folder in my sd card and I can see the map info but when I turn on the device I not able see the maps???

Please helps, thank you

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Garmin Novi 260 cannot locate gm-malaysia/singapore v2.15

#35 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:57 pm

sfw578 wrote:Hello all

I has copy the gmapsupp.img into \Garmin\ folder in my sd card and I can see the map info but when I turn on the device I not able see the maps???

Please helps, thank you
:welcome: bro sfw578 :welcome: to malsingmaps

As a newbie, you can do yourself a favor by reading our wiki section for some knowledge on GPS

As to your question, have you taken your GPS outside your home under the clear blue sky and get a satellite lock ?

Also confirm that the gmapsupp,img should be copied into the SD/Garmin folder and NOT the SD/Garmin/folder

You can check whether the maps are not corrupted, from main menu .. TOOLS, MAPS, MAP INFO ..
The MAP INFO should not be greyed out. If it is so ,then map is not valid or corrupted.

sfw578
GPS: nuvi260

Re: Garmin Novi 260 cannot locate gm-malaysia/singapore v2.15

#36 Post by sfw578 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:31 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:
:welcome: bro sfw578 :welcome: to malsingmaps

As a newbie, you can do yourself a favor by reading our wiki section for some knowledge on GPS

As to your question, have you taken your GPS outside your home under the clear blue sky and get a satellite lock ?

Also confirm that the gmapsupp,img should be copied into the SD/Garmin folder and NOT the SD/Garmin/folder

You can check whether the maps are not corrupted, from main menu .. TOOLS, MAPS, MAP INFO ..
The MAP INFO should not be greyed out. If it is so ,then map is not valid or corrupted.

:tq: it work now :thumbsup:

poortraveller
GPS: Nuvi 310

#37 Post by poortraveller » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:22 am

orgsyn wrote: The Mac equivalent of Mapsource is RoadTrip. The malsingmaps have to be converted in windows with Map Converter for Windows for it to be read in RoadTrip. If his Mac is an Intel Mac, he's need to install Bootcamp for a DOS partition, install Windows in that partition and so on or use Crossover/Parallels/VMware (virtualisation environments)
wat if mac not running intel?

orgsyn
Regular
Regular

#38 Post by orgsyn » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:38 am

Unfortunately, both malsingmaps and malfreemap map executables only run in Windows plus you need to convert the resultant map to Mac format in using MapConverter for Windows before reading these on the mac with RoadTrip. For non Intel Macs, there used to be Virtual PC. See http://www.garmin.com/mac

If you simply need the gmapsupp.img, the Jan version-MySin.exe can be expanded using StuffIt 12.0

http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/download.html has OpenStreetMaps for some countries in .tgz format that can be uncompressed to read in RoadTrip

Superman7
Regular
Regular
GPS: nüvi® 3790
eTrex Vista® HCx
nüvi® 200

#39 Post by Superman7 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:16 pm

orgsyn wrote:Unfortunately, both malsingmaps and malfreemap map executables only run in Windows plus you need to convert the resultant map to Mac format in using MapConverter for Windows before reading these on the mac with RoadTrip. For non Intel Macs, there used to be Virtual PC. See http://www.garmin.com/mac

If you simply need the gmapsupp.img, the Jan version-MySin.exe can be expanded using StuffIt 12.0

http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/download.html has OpenStreetMaps for some countries in .tgz format that can be uncompressed to read in RoadTrip
I've tried converting the malfreemaps to using the Windows converter to convert the maps to be loaded onto the RoadTrip but unfortunately when it was trying to convert, it prompts me with error. Anybody successfully convert a malfreemaps and loaded to Mac OSX using RoadTrip?

orgsyn
Regular
Regular

#40 Post by orgsyn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:12 pm

Did that with MFM 1.22 but have not looked at later versions or with MFM-CPOI or MFM SRTM. What version are you talking about? Anyway, for MFM maps, better post the query in MFM not here.