Loading MSM into NUVI Part 1

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

sengkangboy
GPS: Garmin Mobile XT , Windows Mobile 5

Loading SG maps to a US Garmin Nuvi 350

#1 Post by sengkangboy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:38 pm

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 in the states. do i just copy the singapore map gmapsupp.img in directly . or do i need some special procedures to load 2 maps in at one time?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Loading SG maps to a US Garmin Nuvi 350

#2 Post by SilverBeauty » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:48 pm

sengkangboy wrote:I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 in the states. do i just copy the singapore map gmapsupp.img in directly . or do i need some special procedures to load 2 maps in at one time?
bro sengkangboy, have you spend time in Malsingmap wiki general section. The answer is there :-({|=

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... ple_People

if your device has preloaded maps, then copy gmapsupp.img into sd card /garmin directory else put in unit main memory /garmin directory

khlee
GPS: Garmin 350

#3 Post by khlee » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:03 am

SilverBeauty wrote:
sengkangboy wrote:I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 in the states. do i just copy the singapore map gmapsupp.img in directly . or do i need some special procedures to load 2 maps in at one time?
bro sengkangboy, have you spend time in Malsingmap wiki general section. The answer is there :-({|=

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... ple_People

if your device has preloaded maps, then copy gmapsupp.img into sd card /garmin directory else put in unit main memory /garmin directory
I have the same question as Sengkangboy. Are you saying that we should copy the gmapsupp.img file to the garmin directory in the Nuvi 350 unit's main memory? Does that imply that I should remove the US map from the directory? If I do not remove the US map, how will the Nuvi 350 determine which map it should load?

I am a newbie at this and I have gone through the instructions, dowloaded the gmapsupp.img file and stored it in a SD cared. If I switch the Nuvi 350 I know it will load the US map which is in the memory and not the gmapsupp.img which is in the SD card. So I look forward to your kind assistance as to whether I should remove the US map (gmapbmap.img) and replace it with the gmapsupp.img file for the Nuvi to work in Malaysia :tq: .

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S

#4 Post by trajet2b » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:01 am

khlee wrote: Are you saying that we should copy the gmapsupp.img file to the garmin directory in the Nuvi 350 unit's main memory? Does that imply that I should remove the US map from the directory? If I do not remove the US map, how will the Nuvi 350 determine which map it should load?
Go and look at your Nuvi internal directory. If you have bought your unit with preloaded map, the map would be named gmapprom.img and not gmapsupp.img.

If you see gmapsupp.img already in your internal Nuvi then, copying another gmapsupp.img (Malsingmap data) will over write your US map. However, if you have enough memory space in your Nuvi internal memory, you can combine both gmapsupp.img with sendmap20 ...or other patching tools.

khlee

#5 Post by khlee » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:00 am

Trajet2b wrote:Go and look at your Nuvi internal directory. If you have bought your unit with preloaded map, the map would be named gmapprom.img and not gmapsupp.img.

If you see gmapsupp.img already in your internal Nuvi then, copying another gmapsupp.img (Malsingmap data) will over write your US map. However, if you have enough memory space in your Nuvi internal memory, you can combine both gmapsupp.img with sendmap20 ...or other patching tools.
Hi Trajet2b,

Thank you for your response. You are very kind.

The internal directory of the Nuvi that I have comes with two img files - gmapbmap.img and gmapprom.img - that are in the Garmin directory. The gmapsupp.img file is not there. I downloaded that map from malsingmaps.com and copied it into the SD card.

If I copy the gmapsupp.img file which covers Malaysia and Singapore into the internal directory of the Nuvi I will then have 3 img files. So my first question would be: if I wish to use the map for Malaysia and Singapore, should I copy the gmapsupp.img file from the SD card and place it in the same internal memory location as the two existing img files that came with the device?

Seocnd, if I have all three img files in that directory, which map will the Nuvi load? Does the device load the map that is appropriate to my location in the sense that if I am in the US the Nuvi will automatically load the US img files but if I am in Malaysia or Singapore it will load the gmapsupp.img file instead of the US img files?

I am still new at this so I would appreciate any help you can give. I will take up your kind advice on the patching tools once I am more familiar with how the gps device works in terms of the use of different maps. :tq:

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#6 Post by SilverBeauty » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:11 am

All .img files will load. Once unit locks on to satellite, it will show your location in map for that country.

khlee

#7 Post by khlee » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:32 am

SilverBeauty wrote:All .img files will load. Once unit locks on to satellite, it will show your location in map for that country.
Thank you Silverbeauty. That is really helpful. It is precisely what I wanted to know. Thank you for being so helpful. :tq:

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S

#8 Post by trajet2b » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:42 am

khlee wrote:Hi Trajet2b,
The internal directory of the Nuvi that I have comes with two img files - gmapbmap.img and gmapprom.img - that are in the Garmin directory. The gmapsupp.img file is not there. I downloaded that map from malsingmaps.com and copied it into the SD card.
gmapbmap.img = basemap
gmapprom.img = preloaded detailed map (US map)
you can copy over the gmapsupp.img (Malsingmap) into your Nuvi internal memory, if there is enough space.
khlee wrote:If I copy the gmapsupp.img file which covers Malaysia and Singapore into the internal directory of the Nuvi I will then have 3 img files. So my first question would be: if I wish to use the map for Malaysia and Singapore, should I copy the gmapsupp.img file from the SD card and place it in the same internal memory location as the two existing img files that came with the device?.
You can put gmapsupp.img (Malsingmap) in card or memory. It must be in Garmin folder. If you enable all, all can be seen. You can disable the gmapprom.img if you are not using it in this area.
khlee wrote:Second, if I have all three img files in that directory, which map will the Nuvi load? Does the device load the map that is appropriate to my location in the sense that if I am in the US the Nuvi will automatically load the US img files but if I am in Malaysia or Singapore it will load the gmapsupp.img file instead of the US img files?
As in my previous answer it will load all, if you enable all.
khlee wrote:I am still new at this so I would appreciate any help you can give. I will take up your kind advice on the patching tools once I am more familiar with how the gps device works in terms of the use of different maps. :tq:
No Problem, we are all newbie before.

dwoon
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W

#9 Post by dwoon » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:05 pm

Hi traject2b,

If we disable the loaded maps (e.g. europe maps) from the main memory, and just leave the local maps, will this make the unit process/work faster?

The simulation mode seems awfully slow.... :rolleyes:

khlee

#10 Post by khlee » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:57 pm

trajet2b wrote:
khlee wrote:gmapbmap.img = basemap
gmapprom.img = preloaded detailed map (US map)
you can copy over the gmapsupp.img (Malsingmap) into your Nuvi internal memory, if there is enough space.

You can put gmapsupp.img (Malsingmap) in card or memory. It must be in Garmin folder. If you enable all, all can be seen. You can disable the gmapprom.img if you are not using it in this area.

As in my previous answer it will load all, if you enable all.

No Problem, we are all newbie before.
Thank You trajet2b. That is all very useful information for me. I just powered up my Garmin 350 with the SD card containing the Malsingmap. Then I went to Map Info and I see two checkboxes for Gpsmappers [1] Mysin126 Borneo113 and one checkbox for malsingmaps.com [1]Mysin126 Borneo 11. All that in addition to CityNavigatorNorthAmerica NT 2008 [1] All for the US map. I unchecked the boxes relating to malsingmap and leave the box for the US map checked since I am currently in the US. What I would like to know is whether this is all correct where the malsingmap is concerned. Should I be seeing those under Map Info? When I am back in Malaysia I would uncheck the US map and check the malsingmap checkboxes and then I should be able to use the gps as usual. Is that right?

I hope that with time I will learn enough to be able to make some useful contributions to the maps for Malaysia and Singapore.

Again, thank you trajet2b.