NEWBIE GUIDE PART 2

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

chrislzh
GPS: consideration stage

help needed

#11 Post by chrislzh » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi.. Have been reading the website for 3 hrs.. and is still very blur on the maps issue. I am quite confused that how come there are more than 1 maps of singapore in the sd card, and can we still have one singapore map and 1 malaysia map. Also can I asked why do bros have want to link maps together. sorry if I asked too much

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: help needed

#12 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Different people have different needs. What they are doing are making use of the features of the Garmin to satisfy their needs.

chrislzh

#13 Post by chrislzh » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:43 pm

Sorry to ask why do my sd card have GMAPSUPP.IMG, GMAPSUPP.UNL, JAN08_GMAPSUPP.IMG file? I have learn a lot from this forum and I am really glad we have this forum, but just confused on the maps files issue. Hope to have bros here to help me clarify. thanks. Lastly,in our garmin main unit, does it have a small storage space by default where there is a usa map loaded inside?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#14 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:54 am

Map file, Map unlock file, Backup Map file in that order

chrislzh

#15 Post by chrislzh » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:11 am

O... But why do we need so many files... Can we like have a file for Singapore map, a file for Malaysia map and so on? cos previously I was using Mapking and they are using that kind of format a file for each map. But I must admit garmin beats other brands hands down.

avanza101
GPS: GARMIN Nuvi 205

Re: [Help, etc: Examples of Vague questions, fantastic answers]

#16 Post by avanza101 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:15 pm

Redstorm wrote:If you are talking about tracking with your Nuvi 670, I am afraid Nuvi devises can't do that. YOu need to buy a handheld like the 60Csx, Hcx, etc. for this purpose. Thank you.
If that's the case can we still track using "TripLog" ? I have some error to submit which is situated in Kampung Pandan roundabout. Now there's a flyover straight to Kampung Pandan from Berjaya Time Square direction but that flyover is not yet updated even in v2.29 :-k

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

Re: Lost Maps

#17 Post by bartmp8 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:07 pm

rokiwolff wrote:Garmin nuvi260 purchased in SG with preinstalled Malsingmaps. Maps appear to have been overwritten on card when loading additional Europe map. Just checking its not in a hidden file on the device. Any advice? Otherwise, which download can I access to reinstall onto the device? TX
Bro, whenever you install a file of the same name, the new file will overwrite your old file.
Most Garmin mapfiles are named gmapsupp.img. For a simplified solution to your prob, you
either patch your file together or separate them - one in SD and the other in Nuvi.

keith
GPS: nuvi 205

Re: my first contribution

#18 Post by keith » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:48 am

sorry to all bro. i just came back from my holiday. so appreciate to all ur explanation bro. i will read through it again n if i do have problem, can i refer to u all again. I really hope that i can unlock the map as i travel quite often. By the way, the yan zheng is the famous chinese sin se at kepong and the renoflex is my famous jipson board supplier. hope it helps.

TQ

regard,
keith

bonfire
GPS: zumo550

Re: NEWBIE GUIDE PART 2

#19 Post by bonfire » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:15 am

Hello guys, I have a Zumo 550 and am quite a newbie in using it. Im going to kuala lumpur this coming october to watch the motogp in sepang. Im trying to figure out what maps to download for my garmin and how to go about it. Thanks again and hope some body can help me

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: NEWBIE GUIDE PART 2

#20 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:34 am

bonfire wrote:Hello guys, I have a Zumo 550 and am quite a newbie in using it. Im going to kuala lumpur this coming october to watch the motogp in sepang. Im trying to figure out what maps to download for my garmin and how to go about it. Thanks again and hope some body can help me
:welcome: bro bonfire :welcome: to malsingmaps

Please read our wiki section for info on your request. You are welcome to download our Jan08 maps from our download section which is free of unlock codes. Contribute POI/error codes for unlock codes.