Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 am 

GPS: GMXT on Nokia E90 (firmware 210.34.75) via Internal GPSr.
Symbian S60 NEWBIE GUIDE BY NEWBIE is meant for really-new-NEWBIEs. Otherwise, skip this thread.
If you choose to continue reading, :welcome: to SSNG.

Disclaimers...

Let me qualify myself... I'm a user of GMXT (short for Garmin Mobile XT) running on Nokia E90 Communicator. I do not know if this guide is applicable for other GPSRs (short for Global Positioning System Receivers).

I assume that you have basic knowledge in computing. If you find this guide beyond your comprehension, you should consider selling your GPSR, give it away, or don't use it.

Introduction...

1. GMXT is likely the best GPS software for S60 Symbian Phone.

2. MSM (short for MalSingMaps) is likely the best routable detail map (more about this later) for Malaysia and Singapore.
Great job by all the mappers :good: . If you use them, don't forget to thank them. :tq:

3. After using the map for some times, you are likely to find some places where you could improve. Don't forget to contribute.

SSNG and Downloads...

To run GXMT on your S60 Symbian Phone, you'll need:

1) GMXT software

Learn here, download here, or Go to Main Download Page here.

Note: Original SD card is needed to use the internal GPSR.

2) Basemap (Optional but good to have)

A Basemap is a basic world map with minimum detail.

Download free non-routable version here.

For free Routable Basemap, check this thread and this thread.

3) Detail map

A detail map is a regional specific map with a lot of detail. It can be routable or non-routable. A routable map is capable of showing direction from one place to another while a non-routable map merely shows the position and its surrounding (very much a paper map on screen).

The MalSing's Maps ARE ROUTABLE.

To download FREE (or open) version of MalSingMaps: W.Malaysia & Singapore map, and Borneo map.

***deleted***

The locked version are for members who have contributed at least twice. So, you should download the "Open" version for time being. To upload the map to your S60 Symbian Phone, copy the downloaded map (i.e. gmapsupp.imp) to E:\Garmin\ folder.

You should technically be able to start navigating at this moment, only without voice.

For new installation of GMXT software, do remember that your device needs approximately 5 minutes to achieve "the first fix" with clear sight of the sky. Thereafter, each fix should takes no longer than 1-2 minute. If your phone is taking longer than usual to achieve a fix, upgrade your S60 Symbian Phone's firmware.

Learn how to contribute and get unlock code here, Procedure to request for unlock code here, and more link on maps download here.

4) Voice Navigation & Help files

It can be quite dangerous to navigate without any assistance. To get your device to "talk" to you, download the support files which also contain the Help files here.

5) POI...

Where are the good food? Where are the Speed-Cameras? Where are the Traffic Light Cameras? Where can I find such, such, such, and such?

The answer is the POI (short for Point of Interest). It tells you what is where. It alerts you ahead of time when ... is likely to be ahead, and etc..

Download POI here and copy the .gpi files to E:\Garmin\POI\ folder. Create the folder if need be.

At this point, your device is loaded with tons of information, including telephone number for most Hotels.... etc.. Go out, use it and explore it for a while before you proceed to step 6).

6) MapSource & POI Loader (don't take this section too seriously. I'm still learning.)

Some POI files are saved in .gdb or .gpx format. To convert .gdb file to a file that your device can understand (.gpi files), you must first convert the .gdb files to .gpx files using MapSource, than use POILoader to load the .gpx files to your device.

Download MapSource (v6.13.7) here, and learn more about MapSource here, download POILoader here, and learn more about POILoader here.

Important instruction to installing MapSource.

Note that there is a newer version of MapSource (i.e. V 6.14.1). To use this version properly, there is a need to edit the REGISTRY. Learn more about it here. Version 6.13.7 is good for me. Its refresh rate is faster and tahunasky had modified the MapSource file to allow it to save directly to C:\ drive. Learn more about it here.

7) More useful Links

a) Free Topo Map (optional but fun to have. Not easy).

That is all for now. For information beyond MapSource and POILoader, you'll have to learn from THE GURUs here.

This thread will be updated from time to time at my leisure.

Another Link to try DIY Garmin Mobile XT for HP, PDA and Palm - Bartmp8

Last edited by bartmp8 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:48 am, edited 18 times in total.
Edited Topic Title & made Sticky

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:30 am 
Elite
Elite

GPS: XXX
r u using d internal gpsr for navigation?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:37 am 

GPS: GMXT on Nokia E90 (firmware 210.34.75) via Internal GPSr.
singawon wrote:
r u using d internal gpsr for navigation?

Yes, original SD card is needed to use the internal GPSr. You might want to perform a Google-search to learn more on this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:06 am 

GPS: Garmin Mobile XT
good Day;

I was a newbie in using GPS. So i already brought a new Nokia N82 and realize there is a nokia map inside. i was discover that it is actually a GPS. but nokia map is not complete. so i try search in internet and found this garmin mobile. so, i was install it to my phone, success. but it always asking for a external blutooh GPS. what i read at the forum

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... _GMobileXT

it can be used with out an external GPS. and one more thing, where can i download GMAPSUPP.IMG from All-in-one gmapsupp ...please somebody help me.

Last edited by bartmp8 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 am 
Regular
Regular

GPS: nuvi 200
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11542

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:55 pm 

sorry, when i installed the software, they still need me to connec with the GPS10x...i want to use the internal GpS inside the Nokia...please help meee...... :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:50 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
Did you read THIS? You cannot make GMXT use the internal GPS because you have not PAID Garmin for your use of their product.... Simple problem isn't it?... cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:04 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: nuvi 200
must buy http://www.canadagps.com/GarminMobileXT.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:52 pm 

so, where can i find these product? i was living in Cheras...can i find it at Low Yatt? :-? :-?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:14 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Garmin Nuvi200
try vendor corner first viewforum.php?f=22

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next