GPSr that can't use MSM [Tom2, Magellan, iGO, WinCE etc]

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: how to install garmin to china made gps

#331 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:13 pm

jakechang wrote:help help help

I bought a china made gps last year, it carries only "i go" and I could not upgrade it. I would like to add garmin to my gps, anyone can help me to install? my gps is running winCe version 3.

thank you.

Bro jakechang, please contact GPS manufacturer or iGo for map updates. As Is, your unit cannot use Garmin maps.

adrianyujs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
GPS: Nuvi 205W/1350/1460/3790
HP Ipaq HX2750 + Holux GPSlim 236
Nokia 5800 + Garmin XT S60 / Mapking R12

Re: how to install garmin to china made gps

#332 Post by adrianyujs » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:51 pm

[-X [-X [-X [-X

lol... best recommend you buy Garmin Nuvi 255w which support junction view :)

Veda
GPS: LR4 with GPS but no malaysia map!

loading.KWI for malaysia--- map needed to load to CAR

#333 Post by Veda » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Hey group!

I am very new to GPS so please forgive me for my ignorance in advance. I have just bought a car with an integrated GPS unit and it does not have malaysian / singapore maps! The dealership says the issue will be resolved in the next few months but I am not going to hold my breath. I did manage to convince the technicians to show me how they would load a map if the had one and found the loading.KWI file in the hard drive of the tool they connect to the head unit in the car. This file is for the UK map however. So I was thinking---if I were to replace that exact file with a malaysia map file I should be good to go? however I need some guidance in exactly how I would obtain this map correctly formatted? Am I on the right track?

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Veda

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: loading.KWI for malaysia--- map needed to load to CAR

#334 Post by SilverBeauty » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Bro veda, there are zillions of formats out there in the world wide world. You should start off by informing us what model / make your ICU is.

For starts maps here only supports Garmin / MapKing so if your unit navigational software has to support these format.

Veda

#335 Post by Veda » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:29 pm

Silver beauty,

thank so much for your response--the car is a land rover discovery 4-- I am looking for the OEM specs now..will post back as soon as i figure that out..

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#336 Post by SilverBeauty » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:02 pm

Veda wrote:Silver beauty,

thank so much for your response--the car is a land rover discovery 4-- I am looking for the OEM specs now..will post back as soon as i figure that out..

Bro Veda, if it is the below mentioned, then there is no legal means to use our maps from our forum :(

http://www.navvideo.com/navvideo-models ... very%20LR3

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/25377 ... ery_3.html

You have to contact manufacturer for assistance. :-'

Veda

#337 Post by Veda » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:16 pm

Silver beauty---

you are awesome! Luckily, the technicians that I know at the dealership are very helpful too! I actually think there is a business to be had (side-lined) here--apparently NO LAND ROVERS have the maps yet....so imagine someone paying soooo much for a range rover and still not having a GPS map! they have the SAT -NAV system but no functional maps...????

i see a nice business here if it can be figured out...... and I can be the experiment SAT NAV provider....

let me see what OEM it is... and what hacks are online to load up the maps--

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#338 Post by bartmp8 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Veda wrote:Silver beauty---

you are awesome! Luckily, the technicians that I know at the dealership are very helpful too! I actually think there is a business to be had (side-lined) here--apparently NO LAND ROVERS have the maps yet....so imagine someone paying soooo much for a range rover and still not having a GPS map! they have the SAT -NAV system but no functional maps...????

i see a nice business here if it can be figured out...... and I can be the experiment SAT NAV provider....

let me see what OEM it is... and what hacks are online to load up the maps--
Please do not discuss hacks, cracks and pirated stuff in MSM, we want others to respect our intellectual
properties (maps) so we need to respect the copyrights of other progs and maps. I hope you understand.

For most of us (hardcore) mappers, we are doing this as a hobby and as a passion. Once you involve $$$ and
hobby, things turn nasty. Read thru MSM history from the beginning and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

:-$ :-# :-' :zzz:

stay
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, Nuvi 255W(Asian Set)

#339 Post by stay » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:41 pm

bartmp8 wrote: Please do not discuss hacks, cracks and pirated stuff in MSM, we want others to respect our intellectual
properties (maps) so we need to respect the copyrights of other progs and maps. I hope you understand.

For most of us (hardcore) mappers, we are doing this as a hobby and as a passion. Once you involve $$$ and
hobby, things turn nasty. Read thru MSM history from the beginning and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

:-$ :-# :-' :zzz:
Seconded.

No :$$: here, just a hobby and a passion like Bro Bartmp8 said.

orgsyn
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 205w and 2465

#340 Post by orgsyn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Veda wrote:i see a nice business here if it can be figured out...... and I can be the experiment SAT NAV provider....
What business model are you thinking of? They might as well buy the cheapest Garmin 205 at RM399...